Detntion Staff asked to act as road Depuy's a reckless endeavor

Unregistered

Detntion Staff asked to act as road Depuy's a reckless endeavor

Per the Lieutenant now Captain Klusnick and at the direction of Major Page head of the Detention Bureau as Detention Deputy's we were ordered to ride along with FDLE certified road Deputies to learn that aspect of the job. I had concerns about this since most Detention deputy's are not FDLE certified to engage in any law enforcement activities outside of the jail. Even inside we would have no legal authority (unless we were dual certified and completed an FTO program) to effect an arrest on anyone, additionally we have no power to arrest or detain anyone outside the jail even when in uniform. The only time we can get involved outside the jail and be protected would be under the good Samaritan law, not the sheriff's office, under that law we would simply be considered citizens and not Deputy's. This also takes the liability off the Sheriff's office since we are instructed by the Sheriff's office to "Not get involved" again even when in uniform, and to basically just be a good witness with one exception of course, that being if the treat is so severe that people's lives are in danger. But then again we are not authorized to act as Deputy's only as civilians covered by the states good Samaritan law. This brings me to the dangerous practice of having Detention deputy's sent out on ride a long's in uniform without proper equipment and obvious training by the Major and then Lieutenant. The liability to the public and to the officer I am with including my own safety is simply a reckless order brought on by incompetent supervisors. For example; I have no experience outside of a jail, having never gone to school for law enforcement I was sent out in the very early morning hours under darkness with a road Deputy that simply assumed I knew what I was doing, after all I was clearly dressed the part, until however we got a call of a possible warehouse burglary in progress. When we arrived it was discovered a warehouse door was ajar. The Deputy I was with stated "Ok we are going to sweep the warehouse for a possible burglar, draw your weapon". Fearing for that officers life I complied and we completed a sweep of the warehouse as best as common sense dictated. We found it to be a false alarm. Afterwards we discussed what occurred and the several things I did wrong, he then realized I had no experience as a road Deputy whatsoever. He was stunned. How dangerous I was to the officer and to the public in general. Technically I had no power to arrest anyone in that warehouse, again technically. In fact any half arsed defense attorney would bring in my training and experience to defend his client and would probable get his client off on a technicality. Again for example suppose I panicked and shot that suspect and he was say the janitor or simply a worker! Having no training and experience as a road Deputy again having never been certified in the discipline, and never completing a FTO course with a certified FTO instructor would the S.O still protect me? I think not, maybe to a certain extent but I assure you they would not spend a great deal of time or money on my defense nor would the FOP. (The supposed Aflcio affiliated union) They would most likely terminate the Major and the Lieutenant to protect the agency but I would be left in my own legal nightmare.
    I was sent out again and this time we were conducting traffic enforcement again in the very early morning hours under darkness. On several stops I was told " Back me up". Again fearing for the deputy's safety and knowing enough to shoot back if something went sideways I really had no clue what to do. Finally I was asked to ride along a third time, this time I raised my concerns to the administration. They likely saw the common sense in what I said and was never ordered again. However I was ridiculed by my peers and it was suggested I was being cowardly. No I was simply being rational. Yes Hernando county and this sheriff's office is still of the mentality of the plantation days. With a deplorable jail facility in disrepair and poorly trained staff. Time for new administration you ask me.

Unregistered
    Holy Shit. Smart move for all our sake's!!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Per the Lieutenant now Captain Klusnick and at the direction of Major Page head of the Detention Bureau as Detention Deputy's we were ordered to ride along with FDLE certified road Deputies to learn that aspect of the job. I had concerns about this since most Detention deputy's are not FDLE certified to engage in any law enforcement activities outside of the jail. Even inside we would have no legal authority (unless we were dual certified and completed an FTO program) to effect an arrest on anyone, additionally we have no power to arrest or detain anyone outside the jail even when in uniform. The only time we can get involved outside the jail and be protected would be under the good Samaritan law, not the sheriff's office, under that law we would simply be considered citizens and not Deputy's. This also takes the liability off the Sheriff's office since we are instructed by the Sheriff's office to "Not get involved" again even when in uniform, and to basically just be a good witness with one exception of course, that being if the treat is so severe that people's lives are in danger. But then again we are not authorized to act as Deputy's only as civilians covered by the states good Samaritan law. This brings me to the dangerous practice of having Detention deputy's sent out on ride a long's in uniform without proper equipment and obvious training by the Major and then Lieutenant. The liability to the public and to the officer I am with including my own safety is simply a reckless order brought on by incompetent supervisors. For example; I have no experience outside of a jail, having never gone to school for law enforcement I was sent out in the very early morning hours under darkness with a road Deputy that simply assumed I knew what I was doing, after all I was clearly dressed the part, until however we got a call of a possible warehouse burglary in progress. When we arrived it was discovered a warehouse door was ajar. The Deputy I was with stated "Ok we are going to sweep the warehouse for a possible burglar, draw your weapon". Fearing for that officers life I complied and we completed a sweep of the warehouse as best as common sense dictated. We found it to be a false alarm. Afterwards we discussed what occurred and the several things I did wrong, he then realized I had no experience as a road Deputy whatsoever. He was stunned. How dangerous I was to the officer and to the public in general. Technically I had no power to arrest anyone in that warehouse, again technically. In fact any half arsed defense attorney would bring in my training and experience to defend his client and would probable get his client off on a technicality. Again for example suppose I panicked and shot that suspect and he was say the janitor or simply a worker! Having no training and experience as a road Deputy again having never been certified in the discipline, and never completing a FTO course with a certified FTO instructor would the S.O still protect me? I think not, maybe to a certain extent but I assure you they would not spend a great deal of time or money on my defense nor would the FOP. (The supposed Aflcio affiliated union) They would most likely terminate the Major and the Lieutenant to protect the agency but I would be left in my own legal nightmare.
    I was sent out again and this time we were conducting traffic enforcement again in the very early morning hours under darkness. On several stops I was told " Back me up". Again fearing for the deputy's safety and knowing enough to shoot back if something went sideways I really had no clue what to do. Finally I was asked to ride along a third time, this time I raised my concerns to the administration. They likely saw the common sense in what I said and was never ordered again. However I was ridiculed by my peers and it was suggested I was being cowardly. No I was simply being rational. Yes Hernando county and this sheriff's office is still of the mentality of the plantation days. With a deplorable jail facility in disrepair and poorly trained staff. Time for new administration you ask me.

Unregistered
    Wow!!! Most agencies have dispatchers ride along to see what its like on the road. They don't whine like this. Teenage kids ride all the time in some of America's largest cities as Explorers and they don't whine. They just do as they are told and they back up the officer/deputy to the best of their ability.

What you should of done was to talk to each deputy at the beginning of your ride along and told them of your lack of experience/balls. This would have allowed them to know what they were dealing with and they could have made an informed decision as to what to have you do or not do.

Unregistered

Smh

Wow!!! Most agencies have dispatchers ride along to see what its like on the road. They don't whine like this. Teenage kids ride all the time in some of America's largest cities as Explorers and they don't whine. They just do as they are told and they back up the officer/deputy to the best of their ability.

What you should of done was to talk to each deputy at the beginning of your ride along and told them of your lack of experience/balls. This would have allowed them to know what they were dealing with and they could have made an informed decision as to what to have you do or not do.
    Ok, so Deputy Sheriff's can ride with dispatchers, chaplains, county commissioners, explorers, and regular citizens, just not jail guards. Now the world makes sense. What a dumb post