Thoughts on applying??
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

Thoughts on applying??

Hello,

I am a former Deputy from a neighboring county, and recent USF graduate. I did not separate from my previous department on good terms. Long story short, I was accused of something (administratively) that I did not do, but since I was in my probationary phase, I was dismissed without any chance to appeal/have a hearing with command staff/clear my name, etc.. I can provide details if necessary.

Should I bother applying? I know it won't necessarily hurt to try, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to how my situation may be perceived by the command staff there. Smaller departments usually have a better understanding of how these things may play out, and of course, I could mitigate any concerns about my dismissal if given the chance to talk to someone about it.

Thank you in advanced for any insight.

Unregistered
    It all depends on who does your initial interview. Some are understanding. Some are not. USF is a good place to work so long as you can stay away from certain people. But that's at any agency. The community us great to us and the job isn't that hard at all. The probationary thing well without specifics it's hard to say what the overall hiring outcome might be. Beth thing to do is apply, be open and honest about it if asked and see what happened. Starting salary is about 43 grand. Great health benefits. Good working conditions. Good equipment. But remember you won't be the boss and sometimes you may be asked to do something you thing is stupid. So long as you just smile and do it you'll be okay.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    It all depends on who does your initial interview. Some are understanding. Some are not. USF is a good place to work so long as you can stay away from certain people. But that's at any agency. The community us great to us and the job isn't that hard at all. The probationary thing well without specifics it's hard to say what the overall hiring outcome might be. Beth thing to do is apply, be open and honest about it if asked and see what happened. Starting salary is about 43 grand. Great health benefits. Good working conditions. Good equipment. But remember you won't be the boss and sometimes you may be asked to do something you thing is stupid. So long as you just smile and do it you'll be okay.
    Thank you for your reply.

I was about to start the application earlier today, and noticed the first page contained a lot of questions about termination, being the subject of IA/Professional Standards investigations, etc.., and it brought me to a dead stop. I'm worried that the application will just go straight into the trash bin (physical or digital), and that I would never even get an interview or a chance to explain. I haven't applied at other agencies since being dismissed, and this is the main reason why. However, if you think there's a decent chance I will get the opportunity for a personal interview, then I'll take the plunge and fill the app out.

At the sake of sounding arrogant, I was a good Deputy. I got the agency to sponsor me through the academy, I had great scores all throughout, I had no instances of formal or informal discipline, compliments from superiors and the SAO on my reports, etc.. I feel that I was just royally screwed over/thrown under the bus. My sergeant and my lieutenant were both under investigation, as well. As were a few other people. NONE of them were on probation, and ALL of them were reinstated. Except me. I feel like I was the fall guy, in a way.

Unregistered
    If you are planning on applying here because it is you last resort than go for it, they will more than likely hire you. This job is by no means traditional law enforcement and there is tons of negativity in this agency. You will constantly be micromanaged and harassed by your supervisor while you’re on the 3 to 4 BS calls that we do take per shift. If you have never been employed as a campus police officer than I would highly recommend that you do some serious research. I would not wish this place on my worst enemy.

Unregistered

Dartmouth ARKHA

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    If you are planning on applying here because it is you last resort than go for it, they will more than likely hire you. This job is by no means traditional law enforcement and there is tons of negativity in this agency. You will constantly be micromanaged and harassed by your supervisor while you’re on the 3 to 4 BS calls that we do take per shift. If you have never been employed as a campus police officer than I would highly recommend that you do some serious research. I would not wish this place on my worst enemy.
    It isn't a matter of it being a last resort. Like I said, I haven't tried elsewhere just yet, so this would be my first attempt to plunge back in. My reasonings are the fact that the pay is a bit better than I was making at the SO, familiarity with the campus on account of being a student there, the community seems more hospitable to your presence than citizens towards a traditional PD, etc..

Unregistered
    * bump that, but would add; remember you have to sign a three year contract. Within that first year you will find out if you are one they like or not. You will learn, if you are an older hired experienced officer that is not gung ho in traffic enforcement you won't fit. If you are young, and somewhat good looking, they will put you in a separate deployment group out of the patrol unit after your first year. The patrol unit is always crapped on here and catches all the blame. If you don't make it onto a special unit or get a job inside the building, you will always be treated like a kid, and it is never enough or a good enough job you do. There are those guys that stay in patrol, and can eventually make it into something if they produce high stats. This is a stat driven place.

Unregistered

Allowed pappas

haha, that is so true, I don't even think they are interested in securing the campus or hiring officers to work on the campus, especially with all these huge on campus housing buildings they are putting up? Since my short time here, I can tell all they care about is making arrest stats through traffic stops off of campus? WTF? This place is f'd up on their Administration of things...Lets just keep promoting working off campus in others tax funded areas to get our stats, when we need 4x's more officers posted in the USF campus housing area working!

Unregistered
    Just apply somewhere else, believe me you don't want to work along side all of these worthless, whining, piece of shit children that have no idea about work ethic, responsibility, or hard work. They think if they are questioned they are being micromanaged not supervised.

Unregistered
    Yes, that post is right, apply somewhere else, the supervision is pure micromanagement, and most of it is done from the supervisors sitting in their office and trying doing their job on the radio from what they here on the radio before the officer even shows up on the call they were dispatched to and after, not even being able to handle the call they were dispatched to. And on top of that, the Upper Command will do the same, sitting in their office and do the same thing. Micromanagement here is bad, that is why I am getting out of here and should have never applied here!

Unregistered
    And, you have been told "we are working with a bunch of whining pieces of crap". Take heed and do not apply here.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast