SWAT Takedown today on white mini van Fox 13 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Unregistered

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH…

I’ll just give you one of the many sources that are out there…

http://pr-infrared.com/about-thermal...ts-vs-fiction/

“Hidden compartments; Infrared imagers can be useful in detecting hidden vehicle compartments used for transporting illegal drugs, contraband or even people…"

Also, if you use a cheaper and higher resolution camera (i.e. a silicon-based CMOS), then you could use a VIS block filter so that only the NIR part of the sensors sensitivity is used. This will show you how many people are inside.

Son, here’s the "Bottom line: since YOU don't know what you're talking about, STFU."

I wrote the post you're replying to. Did you even read the page you posted a link to...? From your source:

"Can thermal imaging cameras see through exterior walls into houses?

No. These cameras only “see” heat as it radiates off of an object. It may “see” the heat coming from a house, but it can’t see into the house because the camera picks up the house’s exterior thermal image first. In fact, the thermal imaging doesn’t even see through glass because the glass has its own thermal profile."

From my post:
    "If you point a FLIR device at a car window, you'll see a solid image (how white or black depends on the temp of the glass). Now, if there's something like a body part close enough to or resting against a portion of a car window, you may see some variance within that surface (a "hot spot"), but you still can't see through the window with a FLIR device."

You also need to learn to read more than the first sentence of a paragraph, especially if you're going to quote it. Again, from your source:

"Hidden compartments.

Infrared imagers can be useful in detecting hidden vehicle compartments used for transporting illegal drugs, contraband or even people. Due to the change in thermal characteristics of a surface caused by an adjoining wall or bulkhead, thermal imagers highlight structural details unseen by the naked eye...."

Change in thermal characteristics of a SURFACE caused by an adjoining wall or bulkhead. Or, as I said in my post, something warm (like a body) close enough to that SURFACE to create a "hot spot." In no way does that equate to being able to "see through" an object, which is what the idiots further above were arguing about.

Please, provide me one source that says an IR imaging device can "see through" an object.

Son, here’s the bottom line: since YOU clearly don't know what you're talking about, STFU.

Unregistered
    Apparently you have a problem with reading comprehension. I’ll post this last reply, then I’ll stop beating a dead horse.

No where was it claimed that "FLIR could ‘see’ ” through anything. FLIR cannot SEE anything.

No where was it said that "FLIR" was THE technology used to tell how many people were inside the vehicle. In fact, it was said that we have “technology" to see inside the vehicle (it did not say “FLIR" could “see” inside a vehicle). See the exact quote below.

“...we have technology that allows us to see inside the vehicle to know how many life forms are inside.”

However, it was asked if the liar claimed to be former SWAT but had never heard of FLIR. That was just ONE tool mentioned, of the NUMEROUS tools the S.O. has for various purposes. Stop jumping to conclusions. Stop implying or assuming that FLIR was claimed to be THE technology that “sees” inside a vehicle.

The sources showing various technology that CAN tell how many people are inside a vehicle or a building, are numerous.

https://www.cnet.com/news/police-now...if-youre-home/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...alls/22007615/

Son, again here’s the bottom line: since YOU clearly don't know what you're talking about, STFU.

Now go ahead and beat that dead horse…

Unregistered

...Beating the dead horse...

I do not have a reading comprehension problem, as you assert. Nowhere did I accuse anyone of claiming that FLIR was the ONLY tool that can be utilized to determine how many individuals are located inside a vehicle. I further specified that I am not fully aware of all of the other various technologies available to SWAT personnel.

The foul-mouthed poster i quoted in my first reply implied that FLIR was one of the technological tools that allows SWAT to determine how many individuals are located inside a vehicle. Yes, it's an inference, but I believe it's a fair one. I provided clear information that explained why FLIR (or any other IR imaging device) can not allow one to determine how many "life forms" are inside a vehicle (with any degree of accuracy, at least). Nothing more.

How this turned into some sort of pissing contest between you and I is unbeknownst to me, but the fact of the matter is that neither one of us has bestowed any information upon the readers that is factually incorrect. We both appear to have a very clear understanding of IR imaging technology, its capabilities and limitations. Again, I'm not SWAT, and I don't know exactly what other tools SWAT personnel utilize to determine how many individuals are inside a vehicle.

All I'm saying (and have said) is FLIR won't do it. If you truly believe I do not know what I'm talking about, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

...or I can just drop the club now...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123