Recruits Hear This
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

Recruits Hear This

This is an advise to all the recruits currently at the Academy. Reconsider your agency choice. At FHP you will be making 33k a year with no raises, you will be working crashes alone in 6 counties for the sheriff with no support from the brass. You will end up going to a local agency at the end. If you leave within 2 years, you will have to pay 10k to fhp within 90 days. Don't let Pikul or Oman feed you BS up there, they never worked the road and are clueless about it.

We work harder than deputies and get paid a lot less. Take it from an 18 yr veteran who thought things would get better but they never did, now i have to start over at the city PD. FHP could be a great agency, troopers just dont have the support.

Best of luck

Unregistered
    I don't know about having to pay that 10k.
    I would certainly get an attorney involved with that because when you're a "recruit" you are considered an employee. This is work being performed and hours being worked.

I don't think any employer has any right to "bill back" or collect any monies paid to an employee for labor he/she performed.

Again, I'm by no means a legal expert but seems rather "fishy" to me.

Unregistered
    Check "attachment A" of the employment packet (total cost) and the "Agreement for training cost reimbursement for FHP RECRUITS"

FL statute 943.16 also states "A trainee who attends such approved training program at the expense of an employing agency must remain in the employment or appointment of such employing agency for a period of not less than 2 years AFTER GRADUATION from the basic recruit training program. If employment or appointment is terminated on the trainee’s own initiative within 2 years, he or she shall reimburse the employing agency for the full cost of his or her tuition and other course expenses."

Do they really come after your $$$ if you quit within 2 years? I do not know, but they can do it.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I don't know about having to pay that 10k.
    I would certainly get an attorney involved with that because when you're a "recruit" you are considered an employee. This is work being performed and hours being worked.

I don't think any employer has any right to "bill back" or collect any monies paid to an employee for labor he/she performed.

Again, I'm by no means a legal expert but seems rather "fishy" to me.
    They don't "bill you back" for the labor you performed but for the training you received, tuition, equipment (ammo and so on). Again check attachment A in the employment packet that you can easily find online if yours was different at the time or if you don't remember this section. And yes they totally have the right to do it as described in FL statute 943.16

The only questions are does this apply if you quit before completion of the Academy? The FL Statute seems to say no (read paragraph 2 "...not less than 2 years AFTER graduation..."

AND

Will they bother coming after you for 10k? And I wouldn't listen to "my buddy..." kind of stories to reliably answer this question, just my opinion.

Unregistered
    You guys get paid for exactly what you do. You guys work accidents, do dui's and write tickets. You guys do not do anywhere the amount of work a sheriffs office or pd does. You guys spend most of your time driving between counties to handle accidents. The state could save a lot of money if they just disband the agency and mandate that the agencies that don't handle crashes in their jurisdiction just handle them. When you guys had the off duty job at a Walmart in our jurisdiction, we had to go out there and handle simple shoplifting calls because the troopers there did not know how to handle a simple shoplifting arrest. Once again, you guys get paid enough for exactly what you guys do.

Unregistered
    And when a deputy was working off duty on US 41, a car crashed into a barricade and he called fhp since he didn't have a clue what a long form was. It goes both ways

Yes, I quit 4 years and I went federal. I'm much happier and I actually work for people who care about their peers and agents. FHP only cared about response times and the brass constantly beat down on you. They didn't care about how morale was or how to make life better for the troopers, leave if you want a better future. FHP is ran by rednecks with no degrees who can't get hired no where else. Misery loves company, remember that.

It starts at the academy also, which is ran by people who were kicked out of the road cause no one else wanted them.

Unregistered
    Check "attachment A" of the employment packet (total cost) and the "Agreement for training cost reimbursement for FHP RECRUITS"

FL statute 943.16 also states "A trainee who attends such approved training program at the expense of an employing agency must remain in the employment or appointment of such employing agency for a period of not less than 2 years AFTER GRADUATION from the basic recruit training program. If employment or appointment is terminated on the trainee’s own initiative within 2 years, he or she shall reimburse the employing agency for the full cost of his or her tuition and other course expenses."

Do they really come after your $$$ if you quit within 2 years? I do not know, but they can do it.
    Thanks guys for this insight. I honestly didn't know about that attachment. That is why I posted regarding the labor/billing.

Unregistered
    Thanks guys for this insight. I honestly didn't know about that attachment. That is why I posted regarding the labor/billing.
    I have never heard of FHP invoking the attachment. I have personally known two Troopers, one who went to an SO, and one to a PD, prior to the two year requirement without penalty. To me it seems like all talk on FHP's part.

Unregistered
    Yes, FHP does recoup its expenses. The last I knew they were prorated for the amount of time one worked before leaving. I'd call HR and ask. Dont need to identify yourself if you dont want to. Just ask for clarification.

Unregistered

the truth

To the original poster stfu about lt.pikul and oman they are good people and i dont give a rats ass who says otherwise especially pikul!! As for the patrol its a stepping stone nothing more nothing less get certified get your experience and go elsewhere no need for hate or malice towards fhp I myself am a graduate of fhp working for my local SO and there were good times and not so good times but I got my training and moved on thank you fhp for hiring me and training me. Is the agency ****ed up yes but dont go talking shit about people who dont deserve it on an anonymous forum that is cowardice!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast