NYPD to SWFL

Thread: NYPD to SWFL

Junior Member LEO Affairs Rookie

NYPD to SWFL

Hello all, so I'm an NYPD officer looking to move back down to Florida to be close to my family again. My parents were NYPD and when retired in 2003, our family moved down to SWFL. I moved back to NY after my military service and decided to also join the NYPD to give it a try. I love the job and don't really have much complaints about it but I miss Florida and my family soo much.

I'm looking for some insight on which departments are good. I'm looking into Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota, Clearwater, Bradenton areas. I'd like to go city not county sheriff. I know each area has different "districts" so if possible also add some info about the area you patrol. Please and thank you guys. Stay safe.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by RG5866 View Post
    Hello all, so I'm an NYPD officer looking to move back down to Florida to be close to my family again. My parents were NYPD and when retired in 2003, our family moved down to SWFL. I moved back to NY after my military service and decided to also join the NYPD to give it a try. I love the job and don't really have much complaints about it but I miss Florida and my family soo much.

I'm looking for some insight on which departments are good. I'm looking into Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota, Clearwater, Bradenton areas. I'd like to go city not county sheriff. I know each area has different "districts" so if possible also add some info about the area you patrol. Please and thank you guys. Stay safe.
    LOL SSO sheriff has waaaaay to many internal politics and backbiting and knife stabbing.

SPD - Plenty of manpower. Urban setting. Urban dense. Rich and poor sides of town. Minorities are separated still (they live in a place called Newtown).

BPD - ibid

VPD - Low crime rate. All white city. All old people (median age is like 62 or older).

St. Pete PD - Similar to SPD (except a lot bigger). Has a very bad crime problem. Very busy.

Tampa PD - Similar to SPD (except a lot bigger).

All are unionized (except the SSO county sheriff where employment is highly politicized and polarized).