NYPD to SWFL

Thread: NYPD to SWFL

Junior Member LEO Affairs Rookie

NYPD to SWFL

Hello all, so I'm an NYPD officer looking to move back down to Florida to be close to my family again. My parents were NYPD and when retired in 2003, our family moved down to SWFL. I moved back to NY after my military service and decided to also join the NYPD to give it a try. I love the job and don't really have much complaints about it but I miss Florida and my family soo much.

I'm looking for some insight on which departments are good. I'm looking into Bradenton, Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota, Clearwater areas. I'd like to go city not county sheriff. I know each area has different "districts" so if possible also add some info about the area you patrol. Please and thank you guys. Stay safe.

Unregistered

Try a ride along

We are 120 sworn serving roughly 55,000 people. Mixed demographic of people. Good areas to bad like most places. We have a new chief of a little over a year who has switched things around. No complaints really. I would suggest contacting the department's you are interested in and scheduling a week may be of ride along with each one. It'll at least give you some idea of each department and their areas.

Unregistered
    We are a great agency now that we have a new Chief who is turning this place around everyday, the old one ran it into the ground we now have 12 hour shifts and aren't stuck in a box.

Unregistered
    Look at Tampa PD. Better pay and many options of areas to work in.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    We are a great agency now that we have a new Chief who is turning this place around everyday, the old one ran it into the ground we now have 12 hour shifts and aren't stuck in a box.
    Man are living in a dream world!!

Unregistered

Be smart...

Don't take any single person's advice on these boards. Check out the agency's for yourself and do a ride along as someone suggested. While we are a decent agency there are many better options in the area. Many changes come with a new regime but they are not always good. Do yourself a favor and put in some time and effort into checking out the local agencies. County departments down here have a lot more Authority than what you're used to up north I would not discount going to a county agency