NYPD to FL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYPD to FL

Junior Member LEO Affairs Rookie

NYPD to FL

Hello all, so I'm an NYPD officer looking to move back down to Florida to be close to my family again. My parents were NYPD and when retired in 2003, our family moved down to SWFL. I moved back to NY after my military service and decided to also join the NYPD to give it a try. I love the job and don't really have much complaints about it but I miss Florida and my family soo much.

I'm looking for some insight on which departments are good. I'm looking into Tampa, St. Pete, Miami Sarasota, Clearwater areas. I'd like to go city not county sheriff. I know each area has different "districts" so if possible also add some info about the area you patrol. Please and thank you guys. Stay safe.

Unregistered
    Apply at sweetwater best department in south Florida

Unregistered
    Read the Tampa and St. Pete threads here and get an idea of what kind of issues they have. Sarasota has an Affirmative Action female chief that was in over her head from day one.
    You don't want to come down here; however, Broward has a few agencies with NYPD ex-pats.

Unregistered
    You don't want to come here. Especially if you have experience. On the west coast Pinellas Sheriff isn't bad, I have family with then. With all departments you have drama. Ft. Lauderdale, is a good place. Sheriff departments in Florida pick up experience people, quicker then city departments. It really depends, how far out of SWFL your willing to go. Highland Sheriff is another ok place. Some city departments around Dade are ok, again they have drama too. MBPD or Metro. Race, play a really big factor on who gets hired here and the F&F plan. Not, experience elsewhere out of Dade. I've known a couple of people that worked for NYPD that tried to get on with us. They got the run around and gave up dealing with the BS. They applied with Broward sheriff and got hired with 6 weeks and never looked back.

Unregistered
    I agree Sweetwater or Opalocka best police agencies to work for in Dade County!

Unregistered
    Avoid the City of Miami at all costs. Nothing here except misery and poor working conditions. Department is run by something known as Family & Friends. If you are not a member of that, forget good assignments. Females have it good though. They get the best assignments by laying on their backs and spreading their legs but only to someone who is a lieutenant or above. Sergeants don't count. Also, if your sucking abilities are great, you're in like flint!

Guest62728

Toxic

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Avoid the City of Miami at all costs. Nothing here except misery and poor working conditions. Department is run by something known as Family & Friends. If you are not a member of that, forget good assignments. Females have it good though. They get the best assignments by laying on their backs and spreading their legs but only to someone who is a lieutenant or above. Sergeants don't count. Also, if your sucking abilities are great, you're in like flint!

If it is so bad here and the working conditions are poor why don't you do us all a favor and get your ass out of here .. you are probably a GED graduate. Ask yourself where and how much will you be making if you weren't a cop... your one of the reasons the depts moral is like it is ... you are toxic ..

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Read the Tampa and St. Pete threads here and get an idea of what kind of issues they have. Sarasota has an Affirmative Action female chief that was in over her head from day one.
    You don't want to come down here; however, Broward has a few agencies with NYPD ex-pats.
    Tampa PD and Sarasota PD are both good agencies imo (I know people working for both PD). And no I am not affirmative action. There are issues of different nature in most agencies. Don't let what you'll read on these threads discourage you. I would recommend trying to figure out in what part of FL you would like to live, then inquiring about agencies in the area (benefits, volume of calls, training, special units and promotion opportunities, actively hiring or not, etc.), and if possible making a trip down here and get to talk to employees (try to schedule a ride along) and not just people on leoaffairs! Good luck!

Unregistered
    In SW FL I would say Tampa PD, Pinellas SO, Sarasota SO and PD, and Manatee SO. Not sure about Hillsborough SO (good salary for the area), and Bradenton PD.

Junior Member LEO Affairs Rookie

Info

Thanks for the replies everyone. Do you guys happen to know hours, schedule, pay scale of some of these areas? The only pay scale I can find online are Tampa and St pete, and is it forced overtime like here in the NYPD? I'm not complaining, just letting you know how it is here. We can't plan our days off because we don't know if we will actually have that day off due to mandatory OT. A lot of the times ill be ready to go home, but then they'll be like we need you to stay. Its part of the job, but its ridiculous sometimes. I'll do an 19/20 hour hit, sleep for 2 hours then have to work my next shift, its insane. Just curious if thats just our dept. or you guys also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast