Miami police shortage, a looming crisis! By MARC SARNOFF
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Miami police shortage, a looming crisis! By MARC SARNOFF

In 2012 when I was the chair of the city of Miami commission, we averted a potential safety crisis with the loss of our police through retirement and attrition with a growing vertical population. Our numbers had diminished to 1,090, but we needed to be at force strength of 1,360 officers.

Today we have almost reached 1,350 officers, but in September of this year 95 will retire, and others will simply move on. By increasing police manpower over the past four years, the city of Miami’s violent crime reduced by 8.5%, consistent with the Rand Study “Predictable analysis.”

Back then at each commission meeting, the chief of police was required to provide his status report on hiring and police development, this ended in 2016.

The city of Miami’s clearance rate for all crimes, but especially part I crimes — murder, rape, strong arm robbery — are not good, and below the national average for comparable cities.

We not only need more police on the street, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but we need to be fully staffed and maintain seasoned homicide, rape and robbery investigators, who remain on the job for decades, not just cycled through for one or two years.

There is a short term crisis once again looming, the loss of another 100 police officers. There is a loss of long term vision getting our ranks up to those of other full service police departments, and staffing criminal investigations so that we can go back to clearance rates we can all be proud of 20 years ago.

Commissioners Francis Suarez, Franl Carollo, Willy Gort and Keon Hardemon understood and supported the benefits, both by perception and the reality of a safe city. Recently, Fernan Amandi brought some 200 Grovites to the budget discussions to demonstrate overwhelming citizen support. For those running for office now and making a claim they “spearheaded” the police increase, the best advice is this: Run on what you have actually done.

Back then, the commission approved nearly 200 additional officers during tough financial times, which took courage and leadership.

MARC SARNOFF,

COCONUT GROVE

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/l...#storylink=cpy

Unregistered
    City of Miami Commissioners, doubtless there is a shortage of experienced, trained police officers at Miami PD, but more distressing for Miami residents, those who worked in the City, visitors and taxpayers in particular, is the obvious lack of leadership, managerial acumen and vision emanating from the Chief's Office. Dire times demand serious command decisions from “Rudy” Llanes and by extension city manager Daniel Alfonso's Laissez-faire managerial oversight, vis-à-vis the police department.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    In 2012 when I was the chair of the city of Miami commission, we averted a potential safety crisis with the loss of our police through retirement and attrition with a growing vertical population. Our numbers had diminished to 1,090, but we needed to be at force strength of 1,360 officers.

Today we have almost reached 1,350 officers, but in September of this year 95 will retire, and others will simply move on. By increasing police manpower over the past four years, the city of Miami’s violent crime reduced by 8.5%, consistent with the Rand Study “Predictable analysis.”

Back then at each commission meeting, the chief of police was required to provide his status report on hiring and police development, this ended in 2016.

The city of Miami’s clearance rate for all crimes, but especially part I crimes — murder, rape, strong arm robbery — are not good, and below the national average for comparable cities.

We not only need more police on the street, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but we need to be fully staffed and maintain seasoned homicide, rape and robbery investigators, who remain on the job for decades, not just cycled through for one or two years.

There is a short term crisis once again looming, the loss of another 100 police officers. There is a loss of long term vision getting our ranks up to those of other full service police departments, and staffing criminal investigations so that we can go back to clearance rates we can all be proud of 20 years ago.

Commissioners Francis Suarez, Franl Carollo, Willy Gort and Keon Hardemon understood and supported the benefits, both by perception and the reality of a safe city. Recently, Fernan Amandi brought some 200 Grovites to the budget discussions to demonstrate overwhelming citizen support. For those running for office now and making a claim they “spearheaded” the police increase, the best advice is this: Run on what you have actually done.

Back then, the commission approved nearly 200 additional officers during tough financial times, which took courage and leadership.

MARC SARNOFF,

COCONUT GROVE

If you want seasoned people. STOP, just offering to staff, the drop extension. Another thing the DOJ, is or has pulled that useless mandate, that staff MUST reflex the racial mark up of the population. City Hall appoints staff based on what they can and will do for you. Not, what's in the best interest of the department or community. Honestly, the department is to top heavy. To many on staff. Do we really need this many commanders? Ranks, should be earned thru experience, education and training. No whom they are friends with or maybe who's mommy and daddies are friends with. You have a lot of good people with MPD, that will never advance cause of their race. All over a useless mandate, that's been used as an escape clause since the 80's. Promoting from within a chief, ya I say that works our real well. Bring an outsider in with the experience. Let him or her pick the staff over time. This will surly go over like a hot bombshell. Instead of just holding the officers responsible for certain misdeeds. Snack it up the chain! If Sgt's, Lt's on up start being held accountable. Things WILL change. Look to patrol as see what useless details can be removed and put those officers back out on the street. The property storage container's under I-95, should be inspected weekly by the property room Major and the central Major to ensure you don't have another repeat of destroyed evidence.

Another hot bombshell, 10 and 40 should have on day's 1 FTO per shift and both squad. "B" & "C" shift should have 2 on both squad's. Look to the high call areas and violent crime and assign FTO'S as needed. You should fire anyone that's suppose to be on duty. Yet being able to work an off duty at the same time. Rewrite, the policy over the FOP. Do they really need to be at the FOP office all shift or going to off duty's? Ya, call me a rat. I don't care. It's just not me, getting screwed over it's the rest of you too. Honestly, nothing will change. I'm only kidding myself. You wanted something to think about, maybe this will start you in the right direction. Oh, 1 last thing. Talk to the patrol officers and to what they think could change for the better. Do it without supervisor's around. Hear them out.

Unregistered

MARC SARNOFF,

COCONUT GROVE

my question is why doesnt the city hire anglo saxon trainees/officers??? my understanding is when hiring numbers are turned in to the government for grants.. example.. 120 officers hired 60 black 60 white.. well thats not a true 60 ''white'' number.. its more like 60 white hispanic and not one anglo saxon.. numbers are manipulated... the county has no problem hiring anglo saxons...i applied with the city many years ago and scored high on an entry test and never received a call nor written correspondence.. i called down there many times trying to get a reason on why?? and they never gave a clear answer and my response to them was i never been arrested,excellent credit,same job since i was 15 years old,never had a ticket or accident and their response was '' good luck,sir''...and i questioned around on the street with city police and the answer i was getting was a common denominator.. i was being told ''yeah, good luck guy.. your a white male..'' i advise the city to place classified ads in other markets if they cant recruit across the board .. ATLANTA P.D. are recruiting from miami population because they cant get enough latin recruits... food for thought... this is not 1956 city .. you can hire an anglo saxon here or there... p.s. Mr. Sarnoff thank you for your service to the community... regards, city of miami resident

Justa Fax

MARC SARNOFF,

COCONUT GROVE

Everyone knew .... hell you had 8-10 years to plan for it, that a mass exodus of leadership would be taking place 2014-17. So what was the plan? Promoting sergeants to commander or najor then onto assistant chief. Last time I looked, some solid mid-management ( lieutenant) experience was crucial to the long term managerial welfare of an organization. The only command experience much of the staff have now is to delegate... WHY? Because they gave no concept how to do it themselves.

No one got groomed with stops at ALL ranks. What passes now for so called leadership among some high ranking personnel can be put into a thimble and you'd still have room for the Chinese Army.

Here was the plan moving moving forward when all the DROP expiration dates were coming into play...... THERE WAS NONE!

No what to do? There will be some type of crisis over the next two or three years. Take a look around. Who can address it, deal with it, and end up
    On the winning side of it with enough fortitude yo tell interfering parties to butt out?

Unregistered
    With losers like Delamillera as potential staff members we are in trouble.

Unregistered

Red face

Lord help us is we get hit with either an Active Shooter or terrorism attack within the City!!! With the lack of training and lack of leadership that we have within the department we'll be up the creek without a paddle.

Lugo's lil bro

I'm ur man

Papo, the city needs to hire mas cubanitos.
    I'm just grayuated from Miami High and have mucho tattoos, like the cops in see at Caretta.

Oye Mark, hire me. I'm like to beat peoples and shoot guns.
    I'm be good policia, acere.

Unregistered

Mr. Sarnoffo

Mira viejo, lisen to mi.

The reason, probably the biggest reason, MPD is short on hiring officiales de la ley is because meng... not every Miamion can run 1.5 millas in trese minutos. You know asere, here in Miami... we eat a lot of Vicky Bakery you really think I'm going to be ronning man?

MPD needs to go back to the old PAT.

MDPD best paid agency and they don't require the PAT Miami requires and they are flooded with applicants broder. Look closely on the PAT mi parnita. I'm not a track and field athlete... MDPD actually builds a trainee running. If you look at all the applicants that apply for Miami Police, at least 70% don't go to the PAT test because of fear of failure.

Papito, make them run 220 yards back and forth y ya papo.

This isn't the US Marines or Special Forces. Bueno quidate senor Sarnoffo.

Unregistered
    Mira viejo, lisen to mi.

The reason, probably the biggest reason, MPD is short on hiring officiales de la ley is because meng... not every Miamion can run 1.5 millas in trese minutos. You know asere, here in Miami... we eat a lot of Vicky Bakery you really think I'm going to be ronning man?

MPD needs to go back to the old PAT.

MDPD best paid agency and they don't require the PAT Miami requires and they are flooded with applicants broder. Look closely on the PAT mi parnita. I'm not a track and field athlete... MDPD actually builds a trainee running. If you look at all the applicants that apply for Miami Police, at least 70% don't go to the PAT test because of fear of failure.

Papito, make them run 220 yards back and forth y ya papo.

This isn't the US Marines or Special Forces. Bueno quidate senor Sarnoffo.
    lmao... homie sounds like either fleeger or steven bauer from Que Pasa USA?? oye acere que huerta? qru? 09-qsk... im cracking up on this guys post with his sexy accent...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast