Any new career path ideas? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Yeah, quality or quantity. Which one do you want HCSO? You can not have both with so few cops on the street.

Unregistered
    Law enforcement officers, good ones, become great with people (friend and foe). They develop a rapport quickly and think fast on their feet. Another great job, if the market is productive, is real estate.

Unregistered
    How about a skill trade? Even if training is required. Something, a skill, that can be fully ours and not taken away. Something we can use to start a business at a later date. This job skill is worthless. My friend is an RN and that RN license is his weather he is employed or not. His last job pissed him off, so he quit and had another job with better pay the next day. Personally, something non medical would be better for me. Maybe in construction. At this point, I dont care about a pay cut. I want a job where being killed, sued, or fired is not constantly thrown in my face. Better yet, a job where correct decissions and time to do that job exist. At this job, its not about right vs wrong. Its about making the wrong or less wrong decision. Contractor? Stuff here does not make sense. Testify in a murder trial after working all night?? Write 4 hours worth of reports while taking calls to the end of the shift?? Really?

Unregistered
    Wake up and smell the roses would you, this job is no different than it has been for the past twenty years, maybe thirty. Quit crying, seriously. It is getting old. You wanted this job, if not, why did you apply? You should have done your research. This is a law enforcement career. Since you insist, it's coming, ACCEPT IT OR SIMPLY SHUT UP AND QUIT CRYING. SERIOUSLY! You, nor anyone else has accomplished anything in years with all of the crying in this website.

Unregistered
    I belive most of us do a lot of research before applying. However, the BS the academy feeds us and the false hope to progress through the ranks keep us here long enough to get ourselves in debit. Then we get stuck. Also, this agency has changed for the worse after many of us got gired. Based on my experience and talking to my friends I work with that I know well enough that they speak the truth about this job and not the fake scripted things we all say, I feel that no agency advertises how this job really is. Think about the recruitment propaganda. It shows SWAT, the bomb team, and all the fun stuff on the photos. Where are all the patrol units arguing with people all night going home 2 hour late because off all the down reports day in and day out for most of their careers. People that talk all that "deal with it talk", are not in a low ranking positions. Also, maybe the politics are the same way at other careers. However, with no chance of getting killed or sued, so in my opinion, the politics of other careers are manageable. Maybe even trivial. Example, Short handed and understaffed in the private sector is NOT the same thing as being short handed at a police agency. If you dont like what you read on this site. Do not come here big shot.

Unregistered
    Also, just because its been like this for 10, 20, or 30 years, does not mean a thing. In fact, that is more of a reason for change. I refuse to buy into those poor excuses anymore. Also, bullying us into shutting up needs to stop. Its time for the upper staff to really change things for the better when it comes to leading staff with positive reinforcement, progress, and real leadership. Not micromanagement. Time to stop catering to the lawyers. Just because its been done this way and just because other agencies do it this way means nothing.

This thread is for new career ideas because I know things wont change. No one cares enough. Thats why this particular proactive thread exists. To leave! Just like everyone loves to say. "Just quit if you dont like it".

Lastly, trying to redirect the thread by being a bully and make us mad so we look disgruntled and discredited is ot going to be tolerated. These are very real concerns. Although small in of themselves. Over a 30 year career, they are devastating. It does not take a genious to see that.

Unregistered
    If you have expierence, apply with TPD. I have friends over there and they get off and are driving home a half an hour early each night.

Unregistered
    My friends at TPD say the same thing. They go to calls 4 cars deep and get off on time normally.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Wake up and smell the roses would you, this job is no different than it has been for the past twenty years, maybe thirty. Quit crying, seriously. It is getting old. You wanted this job, if not, why did you apply? You should have done your research. This is a law enforcement career. Since you insist, it's coming, ACCEPT IT OR SIMPLY SHUT UP AND QUIT CRYING. SERIOUSLY! You, nor anyone else has accomplished anything in years with all of the crying in this website.
    Having been here during some of the time periods you quoted, I can assure you the job is much different now. It was much different five and ten and 15 years ago, much less 20 or 30. This job used to be fun. Now it just sucks. When five people show up for work I am ecstatic now.

Unregistered
    If you want to get out of LE, you can apply at Walmart, Publix or Home Depot. Otherwise, shut the F up, man up and be happy. Your experience and training doesn't mean $hit in the civilian world.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast