Any new career path ideas? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sorry I'm a little hot, my last post may have been a little insensitive. But I will repost. You are a *****!!!! I hate these silver spoon pussies that have never been exposed to shit other than "oh I'have been dispatched to so many calls today". You are a joke!!!!!!!!!! please post your name so the ones that love their job know who they need to be aware of if they go on a call with you. Holy fu.. forbid you get off 5 minutes late and jeopardize others life because of your disgruntled BS.
    He or she is trying to get out of here like you suggested and is asking for advice. Maybe they're moving. Maybe they have family issues. Maybe this just isn't it for them anymore.

How about you post your name so I know which asshole that I don't want within 10 miles of any call I ever go on. If someone's shooting at me, you can take a x8 and go **** yourself. I'll handle it alone.

Actually, I'll probably be handling it alone regardless.

On topic, insurance companies often hire former cops to do investigations.

Unregistered
    What is this so called high call volume and "burnt out"..multiple departments locally handle 25+ calls per day with minimum staffing as the norm
    If you want quality, thorough, and complete investigations to be conducted, they will take time. If anyone is blowing through 10+ criminal investigations a day, then the investigations have no quality, are not thorough, and are not complete.

So which do you want? A department full of good investigators? Or a department full of competitors to see who can ruin 10 or more ("25+") criminal investigations every day?

Unregistered
    If you want quality, thorough, and complete investigations to be conducted, they will take time. If anyone is blowing through 10+ criminal investigations a day, then the investigations have no quality, are not thorough, and are not complete.

So which do you want? A department full of good investigators? Or a department full of competitors to see who can ruin 10 or more ("25+") criminal investigations every day?

No wonder the SAO is dropping cases left and right. They know this agency has supervisors who prefer having no calls holding, to having thorough investigations conducted.

Unregistered
    Ah really, that is a low blow. Haven't you realized that shit rolls downhill. It is not as easy as you think to be a supervisor, trust me. Mid-level supervisors are in the middle and have to hear it from both ends. Finding an appropriate balance with the available resources is the trick. Our agency has failed to hire adequate manpower for decades, and no, we will probably reach the officer to citizen ratio other agencies maintain. Patrol Districts Deputies that run call to call see the impact of working short handed more than other employees. The District level investigative detectives follow closely behind patrol and are not provided adequate time to investigate latent crimes. It just seems to be the way our agency does business. Stay safe out there and go home at the end of every shift. That doesn't mean not doing the job you applied for years ago. You knew what you were getting into. If you got into it for another reason, you might end up looking elsewhere and changing professions. It isn't for everyone. It is not as easy if a profession as most think and to have a fulfilled career, you will need to have it in your heart. Thank you to those that do.

Unregistered
    Our agency has failed to hire adequate manpower for decades, and no, we will probably (SHOULD HAVE READ "never", sorry for the typo) reach the officer to citizen ratio other agencies maintain.

Unregistered
    Ah really, that is a low blow. Haven't you realized that shit rolls downhill. It is not as easy as you think to be a supervisor, trust me. Mid-level supervisors are in the middle and have to hear it from both ends. Finding an appropriate balance with the available resources is the trick. Our agency has failed to hire adequate manpower for decades, and no, we will probably reach the officer to citizen ratio other agencies maintain. Patrol Districts Deputies that run call to call see the impact of working short handed more than other employees. The District level investigative detectives follow closely behind patrol and are not provided adequate time to investigate latent crimes. It just seems to be the way our agency does business. Stay safe out there and go home at the end of every shift. That doesn't mean not doing the job you applied for years ago. You knew what you were getting into. If you got into it for another reason, you might end up looking elsewhere and changing professions. It isn't for everyone. It is not as easy if a profession as most think and to have a fulfilled career, you will need to have it in your heart. Thank you to those that do.

All of this is true. And when supervisors are hearing it from both sides, they should pose the same question to their superiors that their deputies pose to them..."So which do you want? A department full of good investigators? Or a department full of competitors to see who can ruin 10 or more ("25+") criminal investigations every day?"

Because you can't have it both ways.

I'd love to hear the Majors', Colonels', Chief's, and Sheriff's answer to that question.

Trust me, there's not one zone deputy who would love nothing more than to spend the least amount of time on every call, so that they HAVE to time to answer 25+ calls a day.

Rape investigation? "Sorry, I gotta go..I've been here for 30 minutes already."

Armed Robbery investigation? "Sorry, I gotta go..I've been here for 30 minutes already."

Shoplifting investigation (with 8 different camera angles and hours of video footage to view)? "Sorry, I gotta go..I've been here for 30 minutes already."

Baker Act investigation (which takes more to 30 minutes to just do the BA52 forms, drive to G.P., then do the report)? "Sorry, I gotta go..I've been here for 30 minutes already."

(Fill in the blank) investigation? "Sorry, I gotta go..I've been here for 30 minutes already."

The most common complaint I've heard from citizens about deputies is that we don't investigate thoroughly enough. Thin of the crimes that could be solved if we had the time to investigate, instead of rushing to the next call. The Majors want zone deputies to do detective work anyway.

You cant have it both ways.

Unregistered
    I agree with you! But don't think for a minute that many a good supervisors have told superiors in their direct daily chain to the district majors that very same thing. Some majors bring the word to colonels and above but the words get beaten down somewhere along the way unless you have a spineless supervisor somewhere in your chain that is scared to speak and words never even get heard. The bottom line is that the few at the top won't fix it and expect those on the bottom to make it work day in and day out. There will be a new Sheriff in town soon. Every Sheriff has their agenda and legacy, maybe the new one will concentrate on manpower issues.

Unregistered

Death by 1000 cuts

To all who do not like this thread...

1. You know good and well what the purpose of this site is. If you do not like what you read, then do not come here.
    2. This site is regarding LAW ENFORCEMENT. Issues at the marines, the military, or any other job, have nothing to do with the internal administrative issues law enforcement officers face.
    3. This particular thread was meant for a new career path. Your "anger" and comments towards the OP do not apply here and were a waste of our time.
    4. You resorted to name calling and are a bully. Your "super cop" mentality is what gives us down to earth criminal investigative professionals with families and actual real life experiences a bad name. You are the reason the public hates us and why many of us do not speak up. You, others like you, and your comments will no longer deter some of us from trying to call out the the BS.
    5. Just because someone in the marines has or had it tough, does not mean our concerns at this agency are not valid. Your post was no different than a roofer posting on this site telling the OP to grow up because roofers are under paid and work in the hot sun all day and run the risk of falling. Means nothing. Issues at this agency still need to be addressed.
    6. We are not cops. We are people. Cop is a job title. I personally have not let this job take my identity.
    7. My main frustraition at this agency us the whole REPORTS theory. We are demanded to write flawless reports. With every bit of information that everyone else wants like detectives and so on, YET we are given NO allotted time to do them. Documents that will be seen by a judge and that are open to the public with NO TIME?? Reports due by the end of the shift but cant stop taking calls?? That is just one death by 1000 cuts that destroy our moral over ten decades and make us hate this job.
    8. Now let the thread resume. New career path ideas..... private investigations? I read that with LEO experience, the 2 year internship requirement can be bypassed. The license seems easy to get. Working for an attorney seems like an option.

Unregistered
    Private investigative work and process serving jobs have fallen by the wayside. The civil law changed dramatically and attorneys are not investigating cases like they use to. Same with subpoenas and summons work. Most insurances settle without going to trial and summons and subpoenas can be mailed in many cases. Don't waste your time. Those careers are a dead end. Even domestic investigations have slowed to a crawl with all of the electronics in the word; gps, cameras, etc. If you have crash investigation skills, maybe an insurance company will hire you to do reconstructions but they don't want generic investigations. You will need the fancy stuff the traffic homicide guys are using.

Unregistered
    Great info on the PI work. Thank you.

Noted...

LEO work, I feel, is one of the few jobs that punish you for working faster and harder. Most jobs, when you become better at your skill, faster, and more efficient, you either get done faster and go home, or you take on extra work for more pay. With us, their is no reward. The faster you become, the more work comes. Total scam. Their must be careers out their that can appreciate our skillst. Seems no one cares about LEO experience.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast