Considering FHP No LEO Exp. - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    When did it change to high 10 vs high 5. Is that just for new hires?

https://www.myfrs.com/FRSPro_Pension.htm

http://mybenefits.myflorida.com/fina...s_pension_plan

I am sorry it used to be highest 5 years not its an average of your highest 8 years with an 8 year vest 30 year minimum service time. This only applies to anyone who entered service on or after July 1st 2011. Does not retroactive to anyone else..

Unregistered
    https://www.myfrs.com/FRSPro_Pension.htm

http://mybenefits.myflorida.com/fina...s_pension_plan

I am sorry it used to be highest 5 years not its an average of your highest 8 years with an 8 year vest 30 year minimum service time. This only applies to anyone who entered service on or after July 1st 2011. Does not retroactive to anyone else..
    Well, thanks for the information.

Unregistered
    Thank you everyone for your advice.

Unregistered
    I know I'm a little late to the party but let me give you some advice from a neutral point of view. I have been in Law Enforcement for over 11 years now and one of my interests has been comparing salary/benefits of various departments in FL. Short version is this: FHP is the bottom of the barrel in the salary/benefits department and you will be doing yourself a disservice by applying there. This is in no way a slight towards anyone who works for FHP. There are fine men/women working there and I believe that they are all extremely underpaid. They deserve a lot more then they get. This is especially because they deal with traffic enforcement/interstate traffic all the time. As everyone knows traffic is one of the leading causes of LEO deaths nationwide. So these men/women are risking their lives everyday while being underpaid.

Anyway back when I was in my early 20s I applied for the FHP because I didn't know anything about salary and benefits. All I knew was that I wanted to be a LEO and FHP had what I considered the coolest looking car/uniform. Their application process was a pain in the butt back then. For example, in order to take their physical you had to write a letter to them (can't call!) to request a date. Then 2 weeks later you would get a letter back with a date (that will be a month from that day) where you had to show up for their test. If you had to reschedule/cancel you had to go through that same process.

Anyway being a ****y kid who was in good shape I showed up on the day of the test with zero sleep the night before. To top it off, the only thing I had to eat/drink in the last 12 hours was a can of soda. So I took the test and failed in by 12 seconds! I was so disappointed and embarrassed that day. But little did I know, that was to be the best mistake I ever made in my life.

Before I went to retake the physical I was complaining to a buddy of mine about how annoying the process to reschedule a FHP physical was. He says to me "dude our local SO gives their physical every week and you can just call one week in advance to schedule it. So why don't you apply to them?" The rest is history. Starting this October my base salary is going to be just shy of $88K. If I had joined FHP my salary would be in the 40's. There is no comparison! Don't listen to these guys telling you "you can make it up with OT." That's ridiculous! Do you want to work 72+ hours a week forever? And if you do you should still join another department. Guys in my department who are topped out and work those type of hours make $140K+!

Unregistered
    I know I'm a little late to the party but let me give you some advice from a neutral point of view. I have been in Law Enforcement for over 11 years now and one of my interests has been comparing salary/benefits of various departments in FL. Short version is this: FHP is the bottom of the barrel in the salary/benefits department and you will be doing yourself a disservice by applying there. This is in no way a slight towards anyone who works for FHP. There are fine men/women working there and I believe that they are all extremely underpaid. They deserve a lot more then they get. This is especially because they deal with traffic enforcement/interstate traffic all the time. As everyone knows traffic is one of the leading causes of LEO deaths nationwide. So these men/women are risking their lives everyday while being underpaid.

Anyway back when I was in my early 20s I applied for the FHP because I didn't know anything about salary and benefits. All I knew was that I wanted to be a LEO and FHP had what I considered the coolest looking car/uniform. Their application process was a pain in the butt back then. For example, in order to take their physical you had to write a letter to them (can't call!) to request a date. Then 2 weeks later you would get a letter back with a date (that will be a month from that day) where you had to show up for their test. If you had to reschedule/cancel you had to go through that same process.

Anyway being a ****y kid who was in good shape I showed up on the day of the test with zero sleep the night before. To top it off, the only thing I had to eat/drink in the last 12 hours was a can of soda. So I took the test and failed in by 12 seconds! I was so disappointed and embarrassed that day. But little did I know, that was to be the best mistake I ever made in my life.

Before I went to retake the physical I was complaining to a buddy of mine about how annoying the process to reschedule a FHP physical was. He says to me "dude our local SO gives their physical every week and you can just call one week in advance to schedule it. So why don't you apply to them?" The rest is history. Starting this October my base salary is going to be just shy of $88K. If I had joined FHP my salary would be in the 40's. There is no comparison! Don't listen to these guys telling you "you can make it up with OT." That's ridiculous! Do you want to work 72+ hours a week forever? And if you do you should still join another department. Guys in my department who are topped out and work those type of hours make $140K+!
    Cool story bro, glad it worked out for you.

Unregistered

Excellent advice! Thank you for sharing and taking the time to write this post.

Unregistered
    Just a piece of advice, If you put Manatee anywhere on your top 3 counties that they ask you for then you WILL be sent there. They are extremely short on troopers there.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456