Street Crimes Schedule - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    In reading this thread, I just wanted to add perspective to the big picture for what it's worth. This is not a criticism of the original poster nor should it be viewed as such. I have been in law enforcement for over 26 years at two different agencies: here at HCSO for over 20 years of that chunk of time. Never, in my entire career was I consulted about my schedule or what I would like to work in terms of it. That is just not possible given the demands of what we do for a living. Somebody has to work around the clock and provide coverage for different days, times, and crimes. Welcome to the world of being a First Responder.

Yes, the schedule does suck, technical term of course, and there are many inconveniences. My advice to anyone in the profession is to gird yourself up for the long haul. Prioritize your family the best you can while working. If that means moving back to a more stable patrol schedule, then do it. I have known friends who seized a chance to work homicide, while having a young family because it was a career opportunity, and it ended up costing them a divorce. I am not saying it is fair, but the choice on trying to find some stability in a volatile profession rests with you. No one is saying if you don't like it lump it. What is being said is that some components of our work must have adverse schedules and if that does not bode well for your family interaction then move to something stable, at least in the interim.

Too many deputies knock patrol, yet it provides the most guaranteed, stable schedule that anyone can migrate to at anytime in their career if they choose to do so. Yes, patrol is hammered right now with being very busy and short-staffed, but guess what: you handle one call at a time. Find your "laughing place" and seek your own brand of personal satisfaction. I have been there done that, and have the t-shirt, so to speak. In fact, I have spent just over 50 percent of my career in the patrol function with HCSO, across all 4 districts, and still had many other opportunities and am currently enjoying a great one now.

Just my 2-cents: Decide what is best for your family and if it means going back to patrol, do it. There is plenty of time and opportunity across 30+ years of a career to resume a career progression adventure once the family life changes as your kids mature.

Please enjoy your career, you will be an "old timer" before you blink. By the way, I like all the youth we have working now because it keeps me on my toes with all the enthusiasm, so stay positive brother and sister! Be Safe!!
    I'm the original poster, and I just wanted to thank you for a very constructive response to my rant. Some of the other replies didn't seem to capture the intent of my statements, which is probably my fault, so let me clarify.

I've been with the office for nearly 10 years, so obviously I understand the nature of our career and what it takes to succeed here. Also, I am well aware I agreed to schedule fluctuations by joining a specialty unit and I know many would love to be in my position. I'm not inclined to request a transfer back to patrol since that would be career suicide.

My rant was primarily directed at the reason for the schedule change, the knee-jerk reaction schedule, and the incredibly short notice provided. In case you aren't aware, the command staff decided not to fill all vacant supervisor positions during the last promotion cycle. They had enough candidates, even though many great candidates failed the promotional exam due to the increased level of difficulty since the chief wasn't happy with how many people passed the previous cycle. I presume they had a few people on the list who someone didn't like, for whatever reason. In the end, the solution was to "temporarily" combine the two SCU squads into one so each district loses a corporal and sergeant position (5 corporals and 5 sergeants). There were a variety of schedules discussed, and in my opinion we should have remained on the A and B patrol schedule and just split the supervisors. The colonel did not want supervisors split, which I assume a factor in that decision is what to do when the only supervisor for the squad needs to take the day of (who fills in?). So I do understand why the colonel is apprehensive about splitting the supervisors. Also, he wanted 7 day coverage. My rant is simple: of all available options, why pick the absolute worst option from the deputies' perspectives?

Maybe that makes it more clear, maybe not. At any rate, I feel better after having the outlet to rant. This week I'll join the new schedule and make the best of it, despite the problem it creates for my family. Hopefully we'll return to normal after the new promotional cycle and this will have only been a minor speed bump. Time will tell...

Unregistered
    The decision was made by Colonel micro manager. He has nothing else to do but run the office into the ground. His home life must really be lovely. Take note, he doesn't listen to anyone but his ownself.

Unregistered
    I agree with the OP. We all know what is required of us in this career, but come on. That is a garbage schedule. I understand with regards to crime fighting, but at least think of the damn front line employees and their families. I mean does every position in the HCSO need to be made to suck? 30 years of this garbage gets real old. Why else do u think the command work business hours??? They should think of the front line staff and their family's. As far as you people telling the OP to "man up", this is just you trying to deter someone from trying to call out the agency's BS. For every response you make to these frustrated deputies, I will counter it. We need to back each other. All you new guy will one day understand where we are coming from. Decades of hard work before you can comment.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Typical response from the staff???? Typical response from an ungrateful employee. Why do you think Street Crimes is suppose to have a schedule and shift to accommodate your family. Deputies that request a transfer to Street Crimes should have a flexible life style to accommodate to attack the current trends on the street. They should be able to change to day shift immediately to stake out subdivision residential burglaries or midnight shift for convenience store robberies like SCU did years ago! STREET CRIMES SHOULD NOT HAVE A SET SHIFT!
    I worked Street Crimes for many years. In all of those years I can count on one hand the times a schedule shift was justified and even that is being generous. Generally we changed shifts when a supervisors needed the day off because of child care issues, when someone wanted to take a holiday off because no crime is committed on Federal holidays, when someone wrote a county commissioner to complain about something that wasn't even a crime, but no one had the balls to tell them that, when a supervisors was trying to scam the Kronos schedule, when the major got angry with one of the supervisors, when a detective got a bad evaluation so he had to come up with an "ops plan" to prove he was doing something (but didn't participate in), when someone murdered someone else in their house which is completely impossible to prevent, or any of a dozen other bullshit reasons.

That said, everyone who volunteers to go to SCU knows it's the ***** squad. Your mission is whatever you're told it is until you're told something different which happens three or four times a day. For everyone getting screwed with this new schedule, I honestly feel for you. But don't destroy your personal life doing something that makes you miserable. The hardest thing is realizing that this job isn't everything. Do what's best for you. Don't worry about transfers or promotions. You've either got it or you don't and nothing will change that no matter how hard you work or how badly you **** up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12