PBA vs. City Negitiations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

PBA vs. City Negitiations

Well here we go again. Right off the bat the city is back to the same old crap. No raise like the rest of city employees got, instead a 1% lump sum and remove more pay from the officers. Oh yeah, pensions are back on the table folks. The city is crying poor yet again. WHY IS THE PBA NOT GOING TO THE PAPER WITH THIS GARBAGE?????? Let the citizens know what is going on. The only way they are going to back off and start treating us like human beings is if they get pressure from the citizens.

In the city commission meeting a few months back, they very quickly changed their stance when they were in the public eye by stating "We know the officers deserve a raise." Their entire attitude was exactly the opposite up until they were out in front of the public.

This has to stop. The PBA has to start pushing and letting them know that their treatment of the officers is unfair, unjust, and completely wrong.

And why isnt the chief and command staff letting city hall know that because of their systematic destruction of the police department and its benefits, we are getting bottom of the barrel applicants??? Its insane. I just dont understand why the higher ups are just sitting back and letting it happen without fighting back.

Unregistered
    The higher ups got theirs, they are now on other team.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well here we go again. Right off the bat the city is back to the same old crap. No raise like the rest of city employees got, instead a 1% lump sum and remove more pay from the officers. Oh yeah, pensions are back on the table folks. The city is crying poor yet again. WHY IS THE PBA NOT GOING TO THE PAPER WITH THIS GARBAGE?????? Let the citizens know what is going on. The only way they are going to back off and start treating us like human beings is if they get pressure from the citizens.

In the city commission meeting a few months back, they very quickly changed their stance when they were in the public eye by stating "We know the officers deserve a raise." Their entire attitude was exactly the opposite up until they were out in front of the public.

This has to stop. The PBA has to start pushing and letting them know that their treatment of the officers is unfair, unjust, and completely wrong.

And why isnt the chief and command staff letting city hall know that because of their systematic destruction of the police department and its benefits, we are getting bottom of the barrel applicants??? Its insane. I just dont understand why the higher ups are just sitting back and letting it happen without fighting back.
    Sorry about the bad news!

I am still considering applying, do you have a link or info regarding the current salary and step plan?

Thanks

Unregistered
    They are wanting to eliminate the step plan my friend. I'd run if I were you. Every negotiation cycle it's nothing but "see what the city can take from us next or not give us". It is an incredibly hostile city government toward the police department. Barwin and Stacie mason act like the pd is ruining the city financially even though it's been proven that it is not.

Everyday we are asked to do more. Every day we get pulled in another direction. The city dumps everything on the pd and what do we get in return?? Spit in our faces for asking for the same raise the rest of the city gets.

Unregistered
    Listen, if you have read through the 100 plus pages of stories about our clueless, incompetent chief, and her spineless captains, who walk her poodle for her, and are scared to look her directly in the eyes, and all the stories of how the city commissioners want to destroy the police department, and are systematically doing a good job, and you still want to work here, you are probably exactly what we are hiring.

Now, wondering, what the pay is, or step plans, etc, is totally irrelevant. They want to get rid of all of it. They want to get rid of pensions and put officers in a 401k. They've been fighting to do that for years. Oh, and did I mention, we don't get social security.

And yes, we are tasked with doing more and more, with less people. Some days we don't even have enough officers to fill each zone.

The chief is a complete psychopath. Her captains, are clueless, and so afraid to upset the queen, that they just bow, and tell her how great she is,

City commission looks at the department as and expensive luxury that they would rather not have. The future of SPD is dismal. Our hiring lady, who enjoys frequenting anti Trump rallies, is not hiring the best people. This has been going on for a long time. This is the future, and it doesn't look too bright.

But, yeah, still come here, the water is lovely.

Unregistered
    I honestly believe the city is trying to make the agency so terrible and so unappealing that people will leave and they will be able to fold us into the Sheriff's Office. there is no other explanation for what they are doing to the Department. What city wants their police officers to be miserable what city wants their Department to be bottom of the barrel. Well that's exactly what they are doing by continually taking away what is made the agency great. And when there is nothing left the agency will be dissolved. our only hope is to get a complete change in the city's government that is pro police.

Unregistered
    Barwin, mason, brown, the whole bunch of them should be ashamed. For what they have done and are doing to spd. Its disgraceful. The call us every time a homeless person steps on city hall property, task us with handling the citys homeless problem, hold us to high standards they refuse to hold other city employees to, tell us how good we are to our faces then plunge a knife in our backs and try to take money from our pockets. Why??? Its unconscionable. I dont see this happening with other city departments. Only the police. I totally agree with the first post. Let the media know!!!!!!

Unregistered
    Part of the problem is that the PBA board has long outlived its effectiveness, and it doesn't seem like the young officers, whose benefits are being taken, want to stand up. **** needs to be challenged. His leadership for the past several years has been ineffective. You need someone not retired to stand up for you.

Unregistered
    It could be time for a new Union. Check out the brochure from the International Union of Police Associations (IUPA). IUPA's international headquarters is located on Ringling Blvd here in Sarasota. The Broward Sheriff's Office and Volusia County Sheriff's Office recently changed to IUPA as their new Union. Click on link for their Brochure. https://iupa.org/wp-content/uploads/...O-Brochure.pdf

Unregistered
    Golden opportunity right now for all of us to show the PBA the door. If we miss this opportunity, we only have ourselves to blame. A total disgrace the PBA did not file an unfair labor practice complaint against the city when we lost 2 man cars. It was in our contract and they took it away without negotiations. So if we get a 10% raise on paper, does it mean we can have 9% just taken away without an issue????? The PBA pays their reps more than we get paid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast