PBA vs. City Negitiations - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unregistered
    Might be time to leave. Only problem there are 10 people certified and wanting to work there so you don’t have any leverage. Maybe time to go to truck driving school.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Might be time to leave. Only problem there are 10 people certified and wanting to work there so you don’t have any leverage. Maybe time to go to truck driving school.
    There was a time in law enforcement when pay was low... very low... and unionization did not exist. That was one reason (among many other reasons) why restaurants fed us free. Then the free food turned into 50% off... and then it turned into the fireman's 10% discount... and now it's full price in many places.

Then along came unions and higher pay. Really high pay -- compared to what it used to be. Law enforcement pay is abysmally low throughout Florida in the old days, but things have changed (excluding small or tiny agencies). Starting pay is significantly higher and it takes fewer years to reach max pay, which is very good (compared to what it used to be). Civilians know this because pay scales are public record.

And if you game the system, then you can retire with 75k to 100k annually. A retired non-supervisory colleague is making 75k this year... for the rest of his life... and he gets a 3% COLA every year (in the Florida system he is in). Yep, things have changed from the old days. And civilians know it (or at least many of them know it).

Sassy

Iupa

Speaking of high salaries, I believe Bill Bjork was the highest paid officer at SPD last year. Sure, IUPA is in now, but let's wait and see what they can do. The two man car thing was not something you can file an unfair labor practice. That is just stupid to think that. Everyone always thinks things are better elsewhere. Well go try it! Bill already has his pension from up north and now his second to follow. I am not saying he didn't earn it, because he did, but only Bill knows the reason he was behind IUPA. I guess now we wait and see. Becky, well she is just Becky. I think it is a clue when those two are the people behind the change. Almost like the blind leading the blind!!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    Speaking of high salaries, I believe Bill Bjork was the highest paid officer at SPD last year. Sure, IUPA is in now, but let's wait and see what they can do. The two man car thing was not something you can file an unfair labor practice. That is just stupid to think that. Everyone always thinks things are better elsewhere. Well go try it! Bill already has his pension from up north and now his second to follow. I am not saying he didn't earn it, because he did, but only Bill knows the reason he was behind IUPA. I guess now we wait and see. Becky, well she is just Becky. I think it is a clue when those two are the people behind the change. Almost like the blind leading the blind!!
    Even the worst labor attorney would be able to confirm that the removal of the 2 man car without mandatory bargaining is an unfair labor practice. Maybe if the PBA supporters ever told the truth, they would still be around.

Unregistered
    IUPA cant do any worse. The PBA stopped trying 5 years ago, and started handing everything right back to the city, then tries to sell it to us, as a 1 percent raise that we should be happy to have. They haven't done crap except collect a paycheck. If IUPA even helps a little, we will be much better off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12