Any Regrets With Being An HCSO Deputy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unregistered

Any Regrets With Being An HCSO Deputy

I recently received a conditional offer of employment and just wanted to ask the HCSO community whether or not they would follow the same career path if given a chance to go back in time. I have a few offers from the private sector as well and am just trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Unregistered
    Go to TPD... 30 years or 20 years, take your pick..... No brainer...

Unregistered
    The wise thing to do would be to only accept a job here if you had no other offer. If you do get hired here, immediately start looking for another job. You don't wanna be here long enough to have too much invested to leave.

There are not many positives to working here. The pay is alright, probably a little higher than most other agencies, but not the highest. The politics here are just insane. Unless you are already connected at the highest level, you'll need to accept that you will probably work patrol for 30 years. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you have high aspirations of doing anything else, you might be upset for a very long time.

I could go on, but that's pointless. I would recommend not working here any longer than you have to.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The wise thing to do would be to only accept a job here if you had no other offer. If you do get hired here, immediately start looking for another job. You don't wanna be here long enough to have too much invested to leave.

There are not many positives to working here. The pay is alright, probably a little higher than most other agencies, but not the highest. The politics here are just insane. Unless you are already connected at the highest level, you'll need to accept that you will probably work patrol for 30 years. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you have high aspirations of doing anything else, you might be upset for a very long time.

I could go on, but that's pointless. I would recommend not working here any longer than you have to.
    Wow u sound depressed. Maybe u should quit r u know jump in front of a truck r something. Oh wait maybe this is double chin jim, u know the loser who was a colonel here and got thrown out. Sorry Jimbo it was never gonna happen for u here, now if we can get rid of TF we will be golden

Unregistered
    I would also like to know this same question from a non disgruntled employee view

Unregistered
    I have been with the SO for 20+ years. I am not a supervisor and have spent my whole career in the patrol/detective realm with some stops off at various other units.

I did not get into this line of work for the pay. If you want to make money this isnt the job. It will support you, but not
    any grand lifestyle. But be responsible with your money, and it will work for you.

It is rewarding, and when I look back I am proud of my time here. I have made a difference in peoples lives and would liketo think that once in awhile they look back on me and are thankful.

Yes its political, but if you work hard and do your job there are opportunities. Take advantage of them when they come.

The only problem I see in this line of work today is the social movement. The undercurrent from the public is not as respectful or communicative as it once was. It doesnt matter why, it just is. I still meet people everyday who, if you treat them with respect, they will give it back. But there is a whole bunch of people who do not. Its a shame that it has become this way. As a result, it is more dangerous.

Just a few thoughts...Hope it helps...