Sooo.... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sooo....

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some of you might be aware of the following story and if you are please correct any details I may not have explained precisely.

My information comes from a source that was involved with this and probably told others the same story.

The Recruitment and Screening Section were vetting applicants from out-of-state. Several people were sent to NYC to advance
    the hiring process on several applicants that had applied from there. Let's not debate why they choose HCSO and not NYPD, the
    fact is they applied here. While in NYC, they conducted further interviews, did physical assessments and I think polygraphs
    were given. They spent a week there and over $10,000 to do this. I believe the number of applicants was between 10-20.
    Out of that group, not a single applicant was hired.

Now I know different things will disqualify an applicant and I sure as hell wouldn't expect all of them to be hired, but it seems to
    me that if are willing to send a crew of people all the way up there, you should have already done a lot of homework on these
    folks and would already eliminated some of them, before you got there or not made the trip.

I was told, basically, it was a dog and pony show from the get go and it was just a way to spend end of year monies.

I honestly believe my source as they are a veteran deputy and someone that I think most people that know them would agree
    they are credible.

Now before you start with dork this and dork that, whatever dumb@$$ that is or telling me to quit, I'm a 30 year veteran and
    supervisor and we've been short-handed since I started, but never this critically understaffed, based on the calls for service
    and crime rate. And yes, I have worked the streets my entire career.

This agency is not interested in suppressing crime, thus no sense of urgency to hire more deputies. It IS all about raising monies,
    be seen as a feel good organization in the eyes of the public, as not to offend anyone and to further certain peoples PERSONAL
    agenda.

I was once told by a captain I worked for and who I had this discussion with, he said, "you'll never see proper staffing levels,
    because you guys do to good of a job with what you have." That statement verifies that, "no good deed goes unpunished."

As always, be safe and watch your six.

Well said. Good info. I do not doubt it.

The best thing that I have ever read on this site was the part that they will not staff us any further because we are getting the job done.

Operating at 300% with no time to think. Sometimes I go home with my mind spinning and I dont even remember what day it is or where to start because those 12 hours felt like one week. Then if you try to salvage your mental health and only give it the required 100%, you are seen as a slug. Its all a scam.

The best part is that police work is a USELISS skill in the private sector. Unless you want to be a security guard for 8 an hour. total scam. I regret this job every day. I feel chewed up and spat out while others get an easy ride.

Certain majors and ten year lieutenants.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sorry about the delay. I have something called a life and hobbies. I don't sit on this site waiting on you douche nozzles to reply. Here is a summary of the PAT. This is from the St. Pete PD site. But Pinellas uses the same PAT as do most Florida LE agencies now.
    "The Physical Abilities Test (PAT) is consistent with national models and industry standards and is locally validated based on statewide statistics. Components of the test were designed to simulate actual tasks and essential knowledge, skills and abilities required of the job. These skills were identified through job task analysis and a review of critical job responsibilities requiring physical proficiency. Five primary components, in order to simulate essential functions of an entry-level criminal justice officer, were identified and incorporated into the PAT::

Exiting a patrol vehicle and removing items from the glove box and trunk, to assess coordination and dexterity. This component represents basic motors skills/hand eye coordination needed to perform routine tasks.
    A 220 yard run for endurance and cardiovascular condition.
    A 110’ obstacle course consisting of a 40” wall, three hurdles, a serpentine section and a 27” low crawl to measure coordination and agility.
    Drag a human form dummy weighing 150 lbs for a distance of 100’ for strength.
    Officers are to assume a proper firing position and dry fire a standard service handgun (a revolver is preferred) six times in both the dominant and non-dominant hand.
    The test is concluded when the officer re-enters the vehicle. In order to evaluate the performance of the officer as satisfactory or non-satisfactory the test is timed. Distances and heights of the components comprising the PAT were determined through review of common rescue and pursuit documentation and patrolled distances of correctional facilities as well as common heights of obstacles encountered by criminal justice officers.

Preparation

The Physical Abilities Test was developed to test the above listed range of physical abilities. Successful completion demands a significant physical effort. The results of your test will reflect your overall physical abilities and training for the above addressed areas (specifically strength and stamina) is recommended. Applicants should come to the test wearing appropriate exercise clothes and comfortable running shoes. It is suggested that participants come to the session fully rested and hydrated. To help reduce unnecessary injury and determine if you can safely perform all of the required tasks it is recommended that you consult with a physician prior to participating in the physical abilities test.

Physical Abilities Test

Upon arrival to the scheduled session there will be a check in, orientation period, and a walk through of the Physical Abilities Test. Participants will be allowed to ask any questions related to the test and procedures during this period. A warm up period will be allotted. The PAT is a measure of a participant’s best effort (completion should result in a near maximal to maximal effort) and fatigue should result. The running of the course will be timed to evaluate performance. Premature fatigue resulting in a lower score (longer time to complete) may be avoided by choosing the appropriate pace to maximize the rate at which the course is completed. To achieve a passing score for the test an applicant must complete the entire PAT within 7 minutes, 4 seconds. Any time exceeding the 7 minutes, 4 seconds cut off time is considered a failed test.

Course Design and Components

The PAT was designed to assess physical attributes that reflect core enabling knowledge, skills and abilities and essential tasks common for law enforcement, corrections and correctional probation officers. The physical abilities test is to be conducted in a continuous flow manner that is time-dependent in order to determine the participant’s level of physical condition and aerobic capacity. The PAT measures specific physical abilities through a series of tasks that are listed as follows:

Exiting vehicle/open trunk
    220 yard run
    Obstacle course
    Dummy drag
    Obstacle course (repeat)
    220 yard run (repeat)
    Dry fire weapon
    Place items in trunk/enter vehicle
    Task 1 - Exit vehicle/open trunk

The test begins with the applicant seated, seat belt on, with hands at the 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock positions on the steering wheel. The applicant is wearing a gun belt and a flag belt with flags positioned over each hip. The trunk key is in the closed glove box. The trunk release is not to be used by the participant. A handgun and flashlight are positioned in the front center part of the trunk. The trunk is closed and locked.

On the command “go”, the stop watch is started and the participant removes hands from the steering wheel, opens the glove box, removes the key, unfastens the seat belt and exits the vehicle leaving the glove box and door open.
    Move to the back of the vehicle, insert key, unlock and open the trunk. After opening the trunk, touch each flag with the opposite hand and remove flag belt. Remove handgun and flashlight from trunk. Holster the handgun and continue to hold the flashlight.
    Immediately enter through the cones marking the beginning of the 220 yard run.
    Task 2 - 220 yard run

While carrying flashlight and wearing gun belt and holstered handgun the participant runs 220 yards on a relatively flat, grassy surface.

Complete run and exit 220 yard course through cones.
    Task 3 - Obstacle Course

Upon completion of 220 yard run the participant enters the obstacle portion of the course.

While continuing to hold the flashlight and carry gun/gun belt climb over 40 inch wall.
    Climb/Jump over a series of 3 hurdles of different heights (1st = 24”, 2nd = 12”, 3rd= 18”) and 5 feet apart.
    Serpentine through a single row of 9 cones placed 5 feet apart.
    Crawl under low crawl hurdles (27 inches high and spaced 4 feet apart).
    Drop flashlight after the low crawl, near the pylon.
    Task 4 - Dummy Drag

Participant sprints 50 feet, grabs the 150 pound dummy and drags it 100 feet on a grass surface.

Sprint 50 feet to where the dummy is positioned.
    Lift the dummy with a firm, safe grip (using proper technique) and drag it for 100 feet to next set of cones.
    Sprint 50 feet to re-enter the obstacle course and pick up flashlight.
    Task 5 - Obstacle Course (Repeat obstacle course in reverse order)

Crawl back under low crawl hurdles.
    Go back through 9 cone serpentine.
    Climb/jump back over series of 3 hurdles.
    Climb back over 40 inch walls.
    Task 6 - 220 Yard Run (Repeat 220 yard course)

Re-enter the 220 yard run and complete run.
    Task 7 - Dry Fire Weapon

After completing 220 yard run, the participant places the flashlight on the ground and removes the hand gun from the holster. Then assumes a proper firing position and complete 6 trigger squeezes each using the dominant then the non-dominant hand..

Place flashlight on ground and enter the Dry Fire Weapon area.
    Once in the Dry Fire area, remove hand gun from holster and assume a firing position (arms completed outstretched at shoulder height and parallel with the ground) and performs 6 trigger squeezes with the dominant, then non-dominant hand.
    Task 8 - Enter Trunk/Enter Vehicle (Repeat task 1 in reverse)

Exit Dry Fire while holding gun in hand, pick up the flashlight, and placed hand gun and flashlight in the trunk.
    Close trunk, remove key and go to driver’s door.
    Enter vehicle. Close driver’s door. Place key in and close glove box.
    Fasten seat belt and place both hands on the steering wheel.
    The stop watch is stopped once the hands are placed back in the 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock positions. To achieve a passing score for the test an applicant must complete the entire PAT within 7 minutes, 4 seconds. Any time exceeding the 7 minutes, 4 seconds cut off time is considered a failed test."
    This is the same PT test run by FHP, just with more time for completion. Much more "real-world" than how many pushups and situps you can do in a minute. Glad I left this agency. Spent 2 years there and left for Pinellas. Been here for 7. Best decision I ever made. Hopefully Gee's retirement will clear the way to a smoother highway for you guys and gals.

Unregistered
    Im glad you are doing well. Seems that everyone I know that has left, are so much happier. Mentally and even physically. Patrol is falling apart. I remember when we all knew what was expected of us. You could ask and deputy any question with regards to a call procedure, policy, and so on, and we were all on the same page. Now, no one knows what to do now. Everyone is terrified all the time of making any decision fearing its "wrong". We are all puppets now. On every call, we must call the supervisor. Supervisors call someone else and so on. In certain districts, it seems that Lt, capt, or major makes all patrol decisions through the supervisors. No one thinks anymore. No one can make a decision. Its pure insanity. Its paper on just about every call. I feel like we are reporters and secretaries for a news paper for the brass to read every day. Thats why this county is falling apart. We need men to run this place. True police officers. Cops. Not what we have become. Completely unaware of our surrounding and in such a rush doung BS that we dont have time to slow down and be the calm, cool, smart, calculating, thinking, and all knowing investigative officers people expect us to be. This agency is nothing but smoke and mirrors. The applicants, new recruits, and holster sniffers may not see this, but the bad guys sure as hell do.

Unregistered

No one thinking

I agree with no one knows what is going on. I was always asked by my troops, "what are we suppose to do." My answer was, I don't know, because today is Tuesday, but I can tell you the answer today is not the same as it was on Monday." Trust me, supervisors got an ear full of BS from the brass. We tried to filter as much as possible from the troops, but sooner or later our bucket of sh!t spilled over.
    Stay safe and watch your six, even when walking the halls at the district.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123