HB7061 Analyses
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HB7061 Analyses

Unregistered

HB7061 Analyses

The state posted an analyses of the Bill that address some of the issues that were brought up. It also clearly shows, for the ones who said it was not popular, that it got 13 yes to two no. Now the bill is set to be heard again tomorrow, however, based upon the statements inside of this analyses it appears that they have already spoke to DHSMV about the issues. Please take a look for your self to stay educated.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill.../h7061.TTA.PDF

Stay safe!

Unregistered
    Read it, it seems that in the effects portion of that, it requires FHP to place so many full time positions in reserves, so pretty much stop hiring for two years as well. interesting. They also have answered most of the questions one would have except that amount of citation revenue that would be lost... thats going to be the biggest saving point for the agency.

Unregistered
    Soooo basically FHP is done?

Unregistered
    Not yet. Won't be done after it passes either. Just will be up to the sheriff in that county if they want to take it over. However, given that last part about citation revenue is hope that FHP will not be done away with right away. But the bill is out togather good.

Unregistered
    If you want to save taxpayer money, disband the uniform division of Agriculture Law enforcement. They're completely useless.

Unregistered
    Is passed this part and it's gaining momentum, say good by to the FHP. It will go down into state history like FDOT,DEP,State Fire Marshall, And Florida Marine Patrol.

Unregistered
    Wow, all these scare tactics. The governor has to be on board of this and the Senate also. Next time the house is up for re election. Remember what they are trying to do. Vote them out

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Is passed this part and it's gaining momentum, say good by to the FHP. It will go down into state history like FDOT,DEP,State Fire Marshall, And Florida Marine Patrol.
    It's gaining opposition. The first committee passed it with only 2 no votes. The one today had 5 no votes. If you watch the video some of the supporters didn't seem too enthusiastic. There were a lot of questions, Cortes (yes vote) for example pointed out CVE won't be done by the SO, so they'd still have to have troopers in the county for that reason. I guess it's "cheaper and faster" to bring them in from another county when needed.

Unregistered
    **UPDATE**
    The Col sent out an analaysis that had specific stats and numbers explaining response time stats and other important factors. This crucial information was not provided to the legislature or explained during our time in the meeting.

The legislatures brought up very valid points regarding the additional functions State Troopers provide other than crash investigations. The bill sponsor explained that the bill only specifies the Sheriff must take on patrolling and crash investigation, NOT those additional functions. Therefore the question was raised, so we still need troopers in that county and if so, how are we saving money.

In addition, the legislatures did bring up the displacement of members and the disruption to emergency responses in times of disaster. The bill sponsor explained this would not be a problem because those members would go to adjacent counties. The Col. Of FHP explained that he did not have enough vacancies to fit all of those displaced troopers in adjoining counties and some members would be required to move if they chose to stay employed. He further explained that taking 75 positions away from the area would have a severe impact on the states ability to respond.

Legislatures also listened to testimony about the lack of funding and additional positions within the agency, some even asked if that was discussed prior to this bill. The bill sponsor just reiterated the required budget cuts for the year.

After the testimony and debate, the bill passed through 10 Yes to 5 NO. During the testimony the Col make an Erie statement that "he feared this was the end of the FHP".

One othe rimportant note. The bill was clarified that if the "Sheriff" decided to enter in a contract, the division (FHP) would he "REQUIRED" to enter in a contract. That was clarified in the meeting.

The next step is the Judiciary Comittee. These members of this Comittee happen to be appointed by the Speaker of the House who also happens to be the bill sponsor, therefore it is antipicated to pass.

The final step would be the senate and governor.

Any input on the analysis or additional information is appreciated so everyone can get the information.

Unregistered
    Just read the above analysis. I think it requires a little historical look back. Anyone who has more than 6-8 years will remember when all the "statistical" information was provided to the legislature for a raise. It was overwhelmingly in favor of giving FHP a raise. However, the first year Scott was in that was "poo pooed" and we got zip. To my fellow Troopers if you are in Polk or Pinellas think hard about going to the SO. Do what's best for you and your families. If you can do better living in a trailer and working all the 208 you can get your hands on then that's what's right for you. Don't let me or anyone in FHP management try to talk to you into anything. Sit down with a pencil and paper and figure out where you want to be in 5-9 years. $33,000.00 per year (plus $500.00 extra per month provided they keep the cad pay in tact) or $68,000 --$70,000 a year. Think . . . do you really believe the legislature is going to give every Trooper a $20,000 --$30,000 dollar a year raise? If you work 208 for the county you do not have to pay mileage or maintain insurance on your patrol car. And yes you will get a take home car from the county. A lot of people are going to be throwing numbers at us and say stay stay stay. But you will have to be the one to make the choice. Again simply look at the history of FHP. Too many of us have voted with our feet and left. Just think when is the last time you had a full squad? When is the last time you could really take a vacation with your family and not worry about the finances? The facts are our leadership has failed us!! Our leadership has only done one thing . . .look out for themselves. With the tremendously large numbers of people who have been employed by FHP and left is a direct reflection upon management. As a matter of fact I think that probably so many people have left FHP that more people are against the Agency than are for it. Do you really think FHP management is going to get better? Again just look at the critical mistakes made by folding CVE into FHP. FHP should have been folded into CVE. CVE troopers make $100-$200 dollars more a month than Troopers. For me I will look into the employment opportunities the SO offers with the thought in mind that if I don't want to stay in law enforcement I have an entire county government I can move into and work. Again I caution you to just carefully think about what benefits each agency offers you. Also remember if you should choose the SO your state retirement goes with you. Stay safe and let's all hope for the best whatever that might be.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast