Say Goodbye to Cellphones Inside of the Jail - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Beats the heck out of being fired and dragging a dozen others down with you with the evidence found on your phone. It's none of their business anyway because it is your own private phone. Even if they fire you for insubordination you will get your job back and more in the civil service appeal. Then you can sue them for wrongful dismissal, defamation of character and legal fees.
    When you get off probation and get a little experience, you will begin to see how things really work around here. Failure to cooperate with an internal investigation will land you outside the SAB calling someone for a ride home. You won't win a civil service appeal and surely won't win any defamation or wrongful dismissal cases. That all sounds great, but isn't real. When you sign the GO's and SOP's, you agree to fully cooperate with internal investigations and that means handing over the phone if they ask for it.

It's pretty obvious what the problems are at the PCSO. People need to get their priorities straight. When you signed on to become a deputy, you agreed to come to work for 8, 10, or 12 hours and perform law enforcement duties in return for a paycheck and benefits. It's not high school. You aren't being paid to pick up women or men, play on phones and electronic devices, or f**k off. Grow up and put the effort into the job or find another line of work.[/QUOTE]

There is definitely going to be some verbal backlash to your statement, but at the end of the day, you are speaking the unadulterated TRUTH!

Unregistered
    When you get off probation and get a little experience, you will begin to see how things really work around here. Failure to cooperate with an internal investigation will land you outside the SAB calling someone for a ride home. You won't win a civil service appeal and surely won't win any defamation or wrongful dismissal cases. That all sounds great, but isn't real. When you sign the GO's and SOP's, you agree to fully cooperate with internal investigations and that means handing over the phone if they ask for it.

It's pretty obvious what the problems are at the PCSO. People need to get their priorities straight. When you signed on to become a deputy, you agreed to come to work for 8, 10, or 12 hours and perform law enforcement duties in return for a paycheck and benefits. It's not high school. You aren't being paid to pick up women or men, play on phones and electronic devices, or f**k off. Grow up and put the effort into the job or find another line of work.
    It's just a job they do not own me and my private life is none of their business. BTW there are several people who refused to give up their phones and still work here. The one who gave up his phone got fired. Only morons give up their cell phones. If they want it that bad get a subpoena. Good luck with that unless there is a criminal investigation and they can convince a judge to issue it. Don't give them more ammo to screw you over.[/QUOTE]

"Don't give them more ammo to screw you over." First of all, what about accountability??? If there is something that is of an incriminating nature on your phone, then you have screwed yourself! When you have people operating fight clubs and choking each other out, playing spin the chair and closet strip-tease (and videoing and photographing the antics to boot!), then these immature morons deserve just what they get!! I am sick and tired of everyone else suffering for the antics of immature morons. Sheriff Gualtieri, instead of being so concerned about having young, good looking deputies in uniform to represent your agency, why don't you aim for mature individuals in the future.

Unregistered
    So far we have Lt. R fired, Sgt. S demoted to deputy, Cpl N fired, Sgt. G fired and we are not nearly done yet.

Anyone see a pattern here? The biggest screwballs are supervisors with way too much time on their hands. There are plenty who have not been caught yet. They should be the focus of the SAB command staff, not the deputies. As for the jail command staff, they are clueless and useless. It's time to replace them starting with Col. H.

Unregistered
    People on this board will make the removal of cell phones a reality soon. Everyone knows command staff reads the comments. You might want to throw a few reasons to have staff keep their phones instead of all the reasons listed to take them. Here are work appropriate uses people I know have used their phones for:

1. Clock /timer (no one wears a watch anymore)
    2. Storing passwords / work telephone numbers / general notes
    3. Language translator apps
    4. Camera for work purposes ( I had a Sgt. take a photo after a use of force due to the battery not being charged in the available work camera this prevented further issues instead of waiting for another camera.)
    *Seriously how often are staff cameras used instead of waiting for a camera to be brought by an available staff member. Staff have been doing this due to limited equipment.
    5. Step counter ( most phones have a fitness app and isn't the general message to staff to get up and keep moving).

I challenge others to list / give reasons why staff need their phones instead of sealing the deal to remove them.

Unregistered
    Everyone on here that works for SO and is whining about privacy needs a reality check then needs to quit!

We work for a public/government entity, check your privacy at the door. We are supposed to be held to a higher standard than the public. How can we enforce laws if we ourselves don't follow them and lead by example? This isn't highschool and if you want to do BS that can get you in trouble and want privacy then go work for a private company. If you follow the rules then there is no reason to be afraid of what anyone wants to see of yours (that's reasonable). What part of "Governmental Transparency" don't you understand? We took this job and committed to an oath of honesty and to abide by the laws that we enforce, what were you thinking about when you read it? It was a contract you dumb sh*^s! If you don't do anything wrong there is nothing to worry about. I'm not saying AI is our friend but do you really think they want to deal with all of the cheating, videos, horseplay and the other violations that cross their desk?

Stop whining about privacy, start having morals and there won't be any problems. Whenever you think that you don't have any privacy think about what it'd be like if you were running for president and all the st*^ that gets dredged up about the candidates.

In case you weren't sure: if you don't have morals then the SO isn't the right place for you. It doesn't matter who your supervisor is, it doesn't matter who your subordinate is, the only thing that should matter is who are you.

Unregistered

T

Everyone on here that works for SO and is whining about privacy needs a reality check then needs to quit!

We work for a public/government entity, check your privacy at the door. We are supposed to be held to a higher standard than the public. How can we enforce laws if we ourselves don't follow them and lead by example? This isn't highschool and if you want to do BS that can get you in trouble and want privacy then go work for a private company. If you follow the rules then there is no reason to be afraid of what anyone wants to see of yours (that's reasonable). What part of "Governmental Transparency" don't you understand? We took this job and committed to an oath of honesty and to abide by the laws that we enforce, what were you thinking about when you read it? It was a contract you dumb sh*^s! If you don't do anything wrong there is nothing to worry about. I'm not saying AI is our friend but do you really think they want to deal with all of the cheating, videos, horseplay and the other violations that cross their desk?

Stop whining about privacy, start having morals and there won't be any problems. Whenever you think that you don't have any privacy think about what it'd be like if you were running for president and all the st*^ that gets dredged up about the candidates.

In case you weren't sure: if you don't have morals then the SO isn't the right place for you. It doesn't matter who your supervisor is, it doesn't matter who your subordinate is, the only thing that should matter is who are you.

It's the principle. Yes, if they want your work phone than you have to give it up. But your personal cell phone is personal, and they have no business looking at it. Transparency is all work related stuff that happens at work. After work, it is none of their business.

As for extra marital affairs, it isn't their business unless it is happening at work. After work, none of their business. Once again this needs to be taken to court, the sheriff will lose. For the record, I don't agree on cheating, but this opens the door for agency to get way to involved in people's personal lives.

This isn't the military or a paramilitary structure which it should be. This is a good ol boy structure. After work, isn't any of their business. As giving up your cell phone, tell them to kiss off and see you in court.

Unregistered
    People on this board will make the removal of cell phones a reality soon. Everyone knows command staff reads the comments. You might want to throw a few reasons to have staff keep their phones instead of all the reasons listed to take them. Here are work appropriate uses people I know have used their phones for:

1. Clock /timer (no one wears a watch anymore)
    2. Storing passwords / work telephone numbers / general notes
    3. Language translator apps
    4. Camera for work purposes ( I had a Sgt. take a photo after a use of force due to the battery not being charged in the available work camera this prevented further issues instead of waiting for another camera.)
    *Seriously how often are staff cameras used instead of waiting for a camera to be brought by an available staff member. Staff have been doing this due to limited equipment.
    5. Step counter ( most phones have a fitness app and isn't the general message to staff to get up and keep moving).

I challenge others to list / give reasons why staff need their phones instead of sealing the deal to remove them.
    You list some excellent examples that validate the usefulness of having personal cell phones while at work. Regardless of whether command staff reads these comments, the fact remains that there have been a slew of incidents involving the inappropriate (and sometimes serious) misuse of cell phones in the facility. It grieves me to think about the possibility of our cell phones being banned because of the actions of immature individuals. I rely on my cell phone for all of the purposes that you listed and for other legitimate purposes as well. Some of which are:

1. Having immediate communication access with my family members in case of emergencies.
    2. Having access to my calendar for reminders of important appointments.
    3. Having immediate access to the flashlight function if our personal flashlights are not functioning properly.

Command staff could address the cell phone abuse issue by handing out some serious time off to the immature violators, instead of doing a knee jerk reaction and punishing the entire bureau. It remains to be seen what the end result will be, but in the meantime, maybe the kindergarten crew will stop whipping their phones out and videoing and photographing people while on duty.

Unregistered
    I just want to keep my phone in my pocket for the possibility that my family needs me in an emergency. I've had to call the jail before and it can be a nightmare trying to get ahold of a certain location if you don't know the number. If you do know the number then there is still no guarantee that you'll get ahold of someone immediately in an emergency situation. This is one change that honestly scares me.

Unregistered

Give them everything.......everytime!!!!!

Yes privacy is so overrated. You better let them search your person, home, P.C., car, medical records, and banking . You are a real genius. What we need is a union and stop trusting those in power to do the right thing. The cell phone ban is rumored to be enforced by charging the offender with a felony charge of introduction of contraband. I'm sure people will be lining up for pat down searches too. They are turning us against one another and we allow it every time we trust them at collective bargaining decision time. Maybe they will appoint someone over this new employee search squad and remove even more people off the floor to pat down members. Heck maybe G4S can pat us down. They are out to humiliate us becaise of a few who made us all look ridiculous. We are short staff all the time. Some shifts don't even have enough females to cover female posts. Those in charge couldn't do a bid correctly but there is no accountability for them. However, we will charge and arrest a deputy who brings in a cellphone. Yes I know some of you sycophants will say that If I don't like it then I should quit. My response is to wicked and foul for this forum. Plus, if I hurt your feelings you will go tell AID on me because you are their biggest fan. In fact, the poster who proclaims we have no privacy and should "check it at the door" probably is iAID. Of course, AID wants to have everything just handed over to them so they can nuke as many people as possible. You can rationalize it any way you want, but AID is contributing to a corrupt and obscene system of discipline. AID members might by motivated by the possibility of promotion, the safety of a desk job, and the perks of not dealing with the inmate population with the possibility of having your every move scrutinized.

Unregistered
    Yes privacy is so overrated. You better let them search your person, home, P.C., car, medical records, and banking . You are a real genius. What we need is a union and stop trusting those in power to do the right thing. The cell phone ban is rumored to be enforced by charging the offender with a felony charge of introduction of contraband. I'm sure people will be lining up for pat down searches too. They are turning us against one another and we allow it every time we trust them at collective bargaining decision time. Maybe they will appoint someone over this new employee search squad and remove even more people off the floor to pat down members. Heck maybe G4S can pat us down. They are out to humiliate us becaise of a few who made us all look ridiculous. We are short staff all the time. Some shifts don't even have enough females to cover female posts. Those in charge couldn't do a bid correctly but there is no accountability for them. However, we will charge and arrest a deputy who brings in a cellphone. Yes I know some of you sycophants will say that If I don't like it then I should quit. My response is to wicked and foul for this forum. Plus, if I hurt your feelings you will go tell AID on me because you are their biggest fan. In fact, the poster who proclaims we have no privacy and should "check it at the door" probably is iAID. Of course, AID wants to have everything just handed over to them so they can nuke as many people as possible. You can rationalize it any way you want, but AID is contributing to a corrupt and obscene system of discipline. AID members might by motivated by the possibility of promotion, the safety of a desk job, and the perks of not dealing with the inmate population with the possibility of having your every move scrutinized.
    No I'm not AI and I believe what I said "AI is not our friend" but it is there for the idiots that take it upon themselves to screw up in one form or another. I am also not saying AI should have access to finances, personal PC, etc... unless it's a criminal investigation. I don't know who you are and even if I did I wouldn't send you to them, that's on them. I do my job and keep my nose clean which is what I recommend to every member. Don't do nothing wrong and there won't be anything to worry about. AI is just like a detective, they both get caught up in their job and it is what it is.

I've also said in the past that a few ruin it for the rest of us. People are two quick to catch things on their cell camera and post things on social media before they think if what is happening is wrong or not. Screwing around (in moderation) on the clock is one thing but to video it is slapping brass in the face so of course they're going to be out for blood.

I agree with some of what you said but I don't agree with the "conspiracy theory" part of your post. Everyone here has a job, AI, road, jail, etc... they focus for the most part on that job and use whatever tools they can to do it. You can't fault a deputy for arresting someone that committed a crime just like you can't blame AI for busting up a ring of idiots. That's what they are here for.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast