Legislature meeting regarding Disband - Page 2
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Big Belly LT. Col never mentioned the average response time to incidents in these counties. He mentioned MFF... the field force is only used at political conventions. 95% of the field force would be unavailable in a moments notice (who answers their phones when their RDO).

These troopers in these counties are very poorly staffed which also presents officer safety issues. For the most part, FHP depends on these SO and PD for backup and traffic assist.

He mentioned that eliminating the troopers in these areas would eliminate the "foundation" for our response. Well... how many troopers are 10-8 in a given shift??? 7? 8? Maybe 10 (tops). That's not much of a foundation there when pretty much all your troopers are busy working crashes. The SO can very easily provide the foundation for adequate response to critical incidents.

Lastly, why would a LT col testify to a bill that "he just received". How long ago was it received? Why wasn't he better prepared to present a broader picture of FHP duties?

*why on Gods green earth would this man be chewing gum while speaking?? That's unacceptable. If a road trooper would show up to a press release chewing gum - God help him/ her.

Lollllllll

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Since the Light Colonel didn't mention CVE as part of this agency. Will use their money from the FHWA grant to fund it. They are not using that grant anyway.
    It's used everyday, how do you think CVE exists? I guess the patrol is moving closer to a 400 man department weighing trucks.

Unregistered bub
    I unfortunately must agree with the bill. I am a Trooper but with our understaffing (due to pay and saluting conditions ; ). It is in the publics best interest to alow the county to take over.
    Under current conditions (state and command) our service to the public in areas like Tampa and Orlando are so poor I don't want my family to endure it.
    I'll gladly apply to become a Dept and serve the public properly.
    Tallahassee should be ashamed of itself for not forcing the pay issue years ago all the while not wearing vests and collecting over $100,000 a year for pacifying the troopers to "next year pay raises ".

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered bub View Post
    I unfortunately must agree with the bill. I am a Trooper but with our understaffing (due to pay and saluting conditions ; ). It is in the publics best interest to alow the county to take over.
    Under current conditions (state and command) our service to the public in areas like Tampa and Orlando are so poor I don't want my family to endure it.
    Tallahassee should be ashamed of itself for not forcing the pay issue years ago all the while not wearing vests and collecting over $100,000 a year for pacifying the troopers to "next year pay raises ".
    Liar! You're not a trooper! If you are why don't you just apply for the sheriff's office?

Unregistered
    It's fine to start out at 34k as a trooper, but it's statutorily criminal to not get automatic and incremental step-pay raises after 10 or 15 years.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered bub View Post
    I was with a local agency before coming to FHP and wanted to move across the state. I knew the starting salary and nothing more was promised. I didn't know there would be no hope of incremental raises or automatic cost of living adjustments (COLA).

48 other states have a similar highway or state patrols with varying funding sources. Almost all of them have smaller economies and populations than Florida, yet make more than FHP. The national funding study was posted on this site in another topic.

I don't know what the best answer is, and don't necessarily think shutting down and turning it over to the SO is the solution.

But I have to agree with most of the above post in that it is a shame about the lack of service to the public across the state and the way troopers are treated us been tolerated this long. The Colonel only has so much power in that respect. The ED (past and present) is the real connection to the Gov and legislature.

We need to bring back a better breed of troopers, and more of them, to provide better services to the citizens. But everyone needs to be treated fairly, including pay.

Unregistered
    I was with a local agency before coming to FHP and wanted to move across the state. I knew the starting salary and nothing more was promised. I didn't know there would be no hope of incremental raises or automatic cost of living adjustments (COLA).

48 other states have a similar highway or state patrols with varying funding sources. Almost all of them have smaller economies and populations than Florida, yet make more than FHP. The national funding study was posted on this site in another topic.

I don't know what the best answer is, and don't necessarily think shutting down and turning it over to the SO is the solution.

But I have to agree with most of the above post in that it is a shame about the lack of service to the public across the state and the way troopers are treated us been tolerated this long. The Colonel only has so much power in that respect. The ED (past and present) is the real connection to the Gov and legislature.

We need to bring back a better breed of troopers, and more of them, to provide better services to the citizens. But everyone needs to be treated fairly, including pay.
    First I agree with the notion of a "better breed of troopers" but we should not forget . . .you get what you pay for.

Second, LTC Thomas was wholly unprepared to make any kind of statement except. . . "I've been a Trooper for 30 years" . . . Who cares. You are what's wrong with this agency. Want to help? Resign over this issue.

Third, your appearance was just too damm embarrassing! You are clearly seriously overweight and if you have a heart attack under the "Heart/Lung Law" taxpayers would have to foot your surgery. Why, as a taxpayer, should I have to pay my tax dollars to someone who can't even meet FHP weight standards. Look at the Sheriff who appeared at the Podium. As a taxpayer who would I want to chase bad guys . . .LTC Thomas or a Sheriff who looks to be physically fit. Does OIG need a formal complaint for a violation of policy on your weight? If so I'll go to the PBA and have them file the complaint. The only thing missing on your uniform was ketchup and mustard stains from the 20 hot dogs you must have eaten prior to this meeting. First impressions are the most important impressions!!!!

Fourth, know your subject matter!!! You, LTC Thomas, came across as a DOLT!!! You told the legislators we you just got the information yet you were opposed to it. How did you even know what you were opposed to if you just got the bill and had not even had time to review it? You told the committee you had not had the time to review the impact upon other entities. If you did not review the bill how could you know anything about adverse affects. You disarmed yourself in your speech. You then go on to "lecture" the subcommittee members on the history of the Highway Patrol and how this would be a stark change to the "Business Model of the FHP". We are a . . .L A W E N F O R C E M E N T agency not a private business. What in the heck are you talking about. You ramble on about all of the other duties that "YOU" LTC Thomas "YOU" have done empire building on to create. You forgot about the Road Trooper!!!! That's right the Road Trooper who is the bread and butter of FHP. Then you state how we were used in the RNC. I do not know of one trooper from the mobile field force who went downtown to coral the protester's. You sir do not know what you are talking about.

Fifth, you told the committee you've been a trooper for 30 years and you could have been a deputy or police officer but you chose to be a Trooper. You don't know you could have been a deputy or a city police officer instead of a Trooper. That is so immaterial I laughed at it and thought . . ."typical" . . .Thomas tooting his own horn. The truth is you can be called on the carpet if not terminated for lack of physical fitness in most other agencies.

And finally sixth, keep you damm gum chewing quiet. I think I counted 3-4 times when your bubble gum appeared in the corner of your mouth and on camera. Real professional Mike . . .real professional.

Your claim to fame will be you led FHP down the trail of obsolescence. You had a chance to stick up for the patrol and you failed . . .and failed miserably. I encourage all of my fellow Troopers to view the link and our No. 2 guys performance. What a disgrace!!

Good luck on trying to keep the good boat FHP afloat.

Unregistered

Here is Article 1 of the Agreement between the PBA and the state to represent the FHP Chapter of the PBA.

Article 1
    RECOGNITION
    (A) The state hereby recognizes the PBA as the exclusive representative for the
    purposes of collective bargaining with respect to wages, hours, and terms and conditions of
    employment for all employees included in the Florida Highway Patrol Bargaining Unit.

(B) The bargaining unit for which this recognition is accorded is as defined in
    Certification Number 1634 issued by the Florida Public Employees Relations Commission and as
    subsequently amended by the Commission.
    (C) This Agreement includes all full-time and part-time Career Service employees in
    the classifications and positions listed in Appendix A of this Agreement.

Here is a link to the entire contract.
    http://www.flpba.org/wp-content/uplo..._Agreement.pdf

Yes the Executive Director and the Colonel can speak with the Governor's Office and the legislators, but the contract clearly notes that the PBA is the exclusive representative for purposes of collective bargaining with respect to wages, hours, and terms and conditions of employment.

Unregistered
    OMG! You guys weren't kidding when you call him big belly!! Your LTC Mike Thomas has gotta weigh in at least 350-375 lbs. Severe obesity on display. Doesn't your agency have weight standards. Sorry but I just couldn't get past how fat he is. He can even reach the podium because of his weight. Incredible. I encourage all of you Troopers to watch the video. I almost fell out of chair when Thomas said he could have 500 Troopers respond to a natural disaster. That's the entire FHP!! I guess if you want to count management people then you could muster 500 people but 500 Troopers???? I don't think so. He really hurt you guys with his appearance. I had to watch it at least three or four times to get past his weight and hear what he said. Good luck you guys. You're gonna need it. Incompetence from your leadership breeds incompetence in public speaking. Your LTC doesn't have a clue.
    Why isn't the colonel talking to the legislature?

Unregistered
    First I agree with the notion of a "better breed of troopers" but we should not forget . . .you get what you pay for.

Second, LTC Thomas was wholly unprepared to make any kind of statement except. . . "I've been a Trooper for 30 years" . . . Who cares. You are what's wrong with this agency. Want to help? Resign over this issue.

Third, your appearance was just too damm embarrassing! You are clearly seriously overweight and if you have a heart attack under the "Heart/Lung Law" taxpayers would have to foot your surgery. Why, as a taxpayer, should I have to pay my tax dollars to someone who can't even meet FHP weight standards. Look at the Sheriff who appeared at the Podium. As a taxpayer who would I want to chase bad guys . . .LTC Thomas or a Sheriff who looks to be physically fit. Does OIG need a formal complaint for a violation of policy on your weight? If so I'll go to the PBA and have them file the complaint. The only thing missing on your uniform was ketchup and mustard stains from the 20 hot dogs you must have eaten prior to this meeting. First impressions are the most important impressions!!!!

Fourth, know your subject matter!!! You, LTC Thomas, came across as a DOLT!!! You told the legislators we you just got the information yet you were opposed to it. How did you even know what you were opposed to if you just got the bill and had not even had time to review it? You told the committee you had not had the time to review the impact upon other entities. If you did not review the bill how could you know anything about adverse affects. You disarmed yourself in your speech. You then go on to "lecture" the subcommittee members on the history of the Highway Patrol and how this would be a stark change to the "Business Model of the FHP". We are a . . .L A W E N F O R C E M E N T agency not a private business. What in the heck are you talking about. You ramble on about all of the other duties that "YOU" LTC Thomas "YOU" have done empire building on to create. You forgot about the Road Trooper!!!! That's right the Road Trooper who is the bread and butter of FHP. Then you state how we were used in the RNC. I do not know of one trooper from the mobile field force who went downtown to coral the protester's. You sir do not know what you are talking about.

Fifth, you told the committee you've been a trooper for 30 years and you could have been a deputy or police officer but you chose to be a Trooper. You don't know you could have been a deputy or a city police officer instead of a Trooper. That is so immaterial I laughed at it and thought . . ."typical" . . .Thomas tooting his own horn. The truth is you can be called on the carpet if not terminated for lack of physical fitness in most other agencies.

And finally sixth, keep you damm gum chewing quiet. I think I counted 3-4 times when your bubble gum appeared in the corner of your mouth and on camera. Real professional Mike . . .real professional.

Your claim to fame will be you led FHP down the trail of obsolescence. You had a chance to stick up for the patrol and you failed . . .and failed miserably. I encourage all of my fellow Troopers to view the link and our No. 2 guys performance. What a disgrace!!

Good luck on trying to keep the good boat FHP afloat.
    Great post!!! Mike Thomas was an absolute embarrassment at this committee hearing!

Why the f*** was this moron saying he "opposed" something that he hasn't even reviewed yet?????

Wow... talk about declaring that you already have a pre-conceived notion prior to reading anything.

Once again.. Mike Thomas embarrasses the patrol. Incredible

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast