The PBA’s past and why we don’t want them back

Unregistereditsbad

The PBA’s past and why we don’t want them back

Let me begin by acknowledging that I am no longer a PBA member, and have never been an IUPA member. But would like to take all of you collectively on a memory tour of the Broward County PBA and some of its past practices. Have these practices effected the way management at BSO makes decisions and have these decisions had a devestating effect on morale.
    During the late 1990s, up until mid 2000, former Sheriff Ken Jenne began to modernize the agency along with increasing salaries, but not only salaries for patrol level, salaries for management jumped considerably. Seemed fair and equatable at the time as many here at the agency seemed satisfied. He implemented a system called powertrac which was controversial and it’s results even raised eyebrows from the FBI’s Crime Report unit. But the major complaints usually came from district commanders who were promoted based on friendships that promised to adhere to powertracs guidelines. When those friendships became compromised due to their own failures at dealing with powertrac, their ruthlessness and unfair labor practices became common practice. Deputies disciplined by way of suspension, and even terminated for minor infractions became the norm. A standard was set, and the Broward County Sheriffs Office became a place of “I gotcha.” This all taking place under the watchful eye of the Broward County PBA!!! For those of you who have never been part of a legitimate union, let me lay out the criteria for an effective union. Unions first priority are not salaries and benefits, they are to protect the rank and file from unwarranted discipline and termination by management who violate labor law. But wait, how many have heard this, “well, I’m not going to fight this because I don’t want to lose my special assignment.” During this internal metamorphosis at BSO something worse was taking place. The Broward County PBA, it’s Executive Board consisting of **** Brickman (Hollywood PD),Pat Hanrahan (Pompano PD), Jeff Morano(Hollywood PD) and our own Board of Directors began to look at this as way to make money out of the misfortune of others. By the time Sheriff Ken Jenne was heading to prison, our own PBA Board of Directors secured themselves in an amazing working environment of perks as all of them were now placed in special assignments, unmarked cars, weekends off, or made their own hours. Trips to Tallahassee, golf tournaments, and lunches at some of the best restaurants in Broward County. All this on the backs of every rank and file member at BSO. Then, the very worst possible scenario took place. Al Lamberti was placed at the helm and begin an era like something out of an old anti communist propaganda film. Again, as the PBA stood on the sidelines with close to a million dollars of our dues money, and did NOTHING!!!
    In conclusion, unfortunately the standard that was set by our own PBA, continues to effect so many because of the special assignment atmosphere that has plagued this agency for far to long. Taking care of friends, what’s in it for me and what can I get out of it is now the established culture here at BSO. Last year, over 10,000 New York City Police Officers turned their backs on Mayor Bill de Blasio as he entered a funeral of a slain police officer. I’m waiting for the day that the BSO rank and file show up at a Broward County Commission meeting to voice their grievances, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Thank you Broward County PBA for all your support over the last 20 years!!!!

Unregistered
    This is a right to work state, there are no "unions". Both the PBA and IUPA are arbitrators , they really have no say , we are at the will of our boss. You put your eggs in one basket whether the corrupt PBA or now the AFL CIO backed IUPA and still get nothing. Ask yourself what has IUPA secured for us? A raise in healthcare, NO payraise that keeps up with the cost of living. Low morale, pat on the back promotions, deputies getting unfair discipline for BS offenses. Radio systems that are horrible, a CAD system that is always down or on maintenance. Turkey giveaways, BWC , every other day a new TAB to sign so they can pull a "gotcha". Need I go on , you get the hint, your throwing your money away with both of these non entities. JB is not smart enough to tie his own shoes, but he is at the Port all weekend. Ask yourself who is self serving , when was the last time the port called you. Do yourself a favor get legal aide and hope for the best. We are never going to get a significant pay raise. Anyone that just started go seek a 20 or 25 and out agency.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistereditsbad View Post
    Let me begin by acknowledging that I am no longer a PBA member, and have never been an IUPA member. But would like to take all of you collectively on a memory tour of the Broward County PBA and some of its past practices. Have these practices effected the way management at BSO makes decisions and have these decisions had a devestating effect on morale.
    During the late 1990s, up until mid 2000, former Sheriff Ken Jenne began to modernize the agency along with increasing salaries, but not only salaries for patrol level, salaries for management jumped considerably. Seemed fair and equatable at the time as many here at the agency seemed satisfied. He implemented a system called powertrac which was controversial and it’s results even raised eyebrows from the FBI’s Crime Report unit. But the major complaints usually came from district commanders who were promoted based on friendships that promised to adhere to powertracs guidelines. When those friendships became compromised due to their own failures at dealing with powertrac, their ruthlessness and unfair labor practices became common practice. Deputies disciplined by way of suspension, and even terminated for minor infractions became the norm. A standard was set, and the Broward County Sheriffs Office became a place of “I gotcha.” This all taking place under the watchful eye of the Broward County PBA!!! For those of you who have never been part of a legitimate union, let me lay out the criteria for an effective union. Unions first priority are not salaries and benefits, they are to protect the rank and file from unwarranted discipline and termination by management who violate labor law. But wait, how many have heard this, “well, I’m not going to fight this because I don’t want to lose my special assignment.” During this internal metamorphosis at BSO something worse was taking place. The Broward County PBA, it’s Executive Board consisting of **** Brickman (Hollywood PD),Pat Hanrahan (Pompano PD), Jeff Morano(Hollywood PD) and our own Board of Directors began to look at this as way to make money out of the misfortune of others. By the time Sheriff Ken Jenne was heading to prison, our own PBA Board of Directors secured themselves in an amazing working environment of perks as all of them were now placed in special assignments, unmarked cars, weekends off, or made their own hours. Trips to Tallahassee, golf tournaments, and lunches at some of the best restaurants in Broward County. All this on the backs of every rank and file member at BSO. Then, the very worst possible scenario took place. Al Lamberti was placed at the helm and begin an era like something out of an old anti communist propaganda film. Again, as the PBA stood on the sidelines with close to a million dollars of our dues money, and did NOTHING!!!
    In conclusion, unfortunately the standard that was set by our own PBA, continues to effect so many because of the special assignment atmosphere that has plagued this agency for far to long. Taking care of friends, what’s in it for me and what can I get out of it is now the established culture here at BSO. Last year, over 10,000 New York City Police Officers turned their backs on Mayor Bill de Blasio as he entered a funeral of a slain police officer. I’m waiting for the day that the BSO rank and file show up at a Broward County Commission meeting to voice their grievances, but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Thank you Broward County PBA for all your support over the last 20 years!!!!
    Those past Presidents Brickman, Hanrahan and Morano played the membership for their personal gain. I have no love for the PBA and hope the worst for that organization. It will be a great day when they are foreclosed on and are run out of Broward County. It’s just a matter of time before the few remaining municipalities vote them out and get rid of the crappy representation.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Those past Presidents Brickman, Hanrahan and Morano played the membership for their personal gain. I have no love for the PBA and hope the worst for that organization. It will be a great day when they are foreclosed on and are run out of Broward County. It’s just a matter of time before the few remaining municipalities vote them out and get rid of the crappy representation.
    It really doesn't matter what organization or who is in there, Mickey Mouse could be our union rep were never gonna get what we want there's always gonna be corruption . Back door deals never stop there is always someone getting their palms greased .Even in union states like New York there's constant nonsense going on with Union reps that think they're above everybody else . When somebody is put in a position of power they get entitled and always think they're better than everyone else .

Unregistered
    Think about it , what have these wonderful so called unions gotten us in the past 10 years absolutely nothing .

Unregisteredinner

Another one

This is a right to work state, there are no "unions". Both the PBA and IUPA are arbitrators , they really have no say , we are at the will of our boss. You put your eggs in one basket whether the corrupt PBA or now the AFL CIO backed IUPA and still get nothing. Ask yourself what has IUPA secured for us? A raise in healthcare, NO payraise that keeps up with the cost of living. Low morale, pat on the back promotions, deputies getting unfair discipline for BS offenses. Radio systems that are horrible, a CAD system that is always down or on maintenance. Turkey giveaways, BWC , every other day a new TAB to sign so they can pull a "gotcha". Need I go on , you get the hint, your throwing your money away with both of these non entities. JB is not smart enough to tie his own shoes, but he is at the Port all weekend. Ask yourself who is self serving , when was the last time the port called you. Do yourself a favor get legal aide and hope for the best. We are never going to get a significant pay raise. Anyone that just started go seek a 20 or 25 and out agency.
    Another union expert who still has know idea what a right to work state is.

Unregistered
    Think about it , what have these wonderful so called unions gotten us in the past 10 years absolutely nothing .
    You are correct, but they sure have taken OUR HARD EARNED F’IN MONEY!!

Unregistered
    Right-to-work laws are statutes in 28 U.S. states that prohibit union security agreements between companies and workers' unions. Under these laws, employees in unionized workplaces may not be compelled to join a union, nor compelled to pay for any part of the cost of union representation, while generally receiving the same benefits as union members who do contribute.[1]

According to the Legal Defense Foundation, right-to-work laws prohibit union security agreements, or agreements between employers and labor unions, that govern the extent to which an established union can require employees' membership, payment of union dues, or fees as a condition of employment, either before or after hiring. Right-to-work laws do not aim to provide general guarantee of employment to people seeking work, but rather are a government regulation of the contractual agreements between employers and labor unions that prevents them from excluding non-union workers,[2] or requiring employees to pay a fee to unions that have negotiated the labor contract all the employees work under.

Unions are already governed by regulations and laws, including public policy on labor-management relations (e.g., a university central office professional position on labor relations). Typically, unions are organized by industry (e.g., healthcare, restaurant, steel workers, teachers, state government- professional, non-professional), and they are required to be first voted in by employees and management, typically with an open ended representation with no renewal or reauthorization or recall ability (the only recourse being to petition to decertify as required by federal law), with provisions on dues payments required as of 2011. For example, while municipal employees have their unions, as do police and firefighters, other non-profit agencies in localities may not be offered these same protections.[clarification needed]

Right-to-work provisions (either by law or by constitutional provision) exist in 28 U.S. states, mostly in the southern and western United States, but also including the Midwestern states of Michigan,[3] Indiana,[4] and Wisconsin.[5] Business interests represented by the United States Chamber of Commerce have lobbied extensively to pass right-to-work legislation.[6][7] Such laws are allowed under the 1947 federal Taft–Hartley Act. A further distinction is often made within the law between people employed by state and municipal governments and those employed by the private sector, with states that are otherwise union shop (i.e., workers must pay for union representation in order to obtain or retain a job) having right to work laws in effect for government employees; provided, however, that the law also permits an "agency shop" where employees pay their share for representation (less than union dues), while not joining the union as members.

Unregisteredthanks

Awesome

Right-to-work laws are statutes in 28 U.S. states that prohibit union security agreements between companies and workers' unions. Under these laws, employees in unionized workplaces may not be compelled to join a union, nor compelled to pay for any part of the cost of union representation, while generally receiving the same benefits as union members who do contribute.[1]

According to the Legal Defense Foundation, right-to-work laws prohibit union security agreements, or agreements between employers and labor unions, that govern the extent to which an established union can require employees' membership, payment of union dues, or fees as a condition of employment, either before or after hiring. Right-to-work laws do not aim to provide general guarantee of employment to people seeking work, but rather are a government regulation of the contractual agreements between employers and labor unions that prevents them from excluding non-union workers,[2] or requiring employees to pay a fee to unions that have negotiated the labor contract all the employees work under.

Unions are already governed by regulations and laws, including public policy on labor-management relations (e.g., a university central office professional position on labor relations). Typically, unions are organized by industry (e.g., healthcare, restaurant, steel workers, teachers, state government- professional, non-professional), and they are required to be first voted in by employees and management, typically with an open ended representation with no renewal or reauthorization or recall ability (the only recourse being to petition to decertify as required by federal law), with provisions on dues payments required as of 2011. For example, while municipal employees have their unions, as do police and firefighters, other non-profit agencies in localities may not be offered these same protections.[clarification needed]

Right-to-work provisions (either by law or by constitutional provision) exist in 28 U.S. states, mostly in the southern and western United States, but also including the Midwestern states of Michigan,[3] Indiana,[4] and Wisconsin.[5] Business interests represented by the United States Chamber of Commerce have lobbied extensively to pass right-to-work legislation.[6][7] Such laws are allowed under the 1947 federal Taft–Hartley Act. A further distinction is often made within the law between people employed by state and municipal governments and those employed by the private sector, with states that are otherwise union shop (i.e., workers must pay for union representation in order to obtain or retain a job) having right to work laws in effect for government employees; provided, however, that the law also permits an "agency shop" where employees pay their share for representation (less than union dues), while not joining the union as members.
    Hopefully the person who responded to the original post will read it very carefully.