PGPD Chief and Officer arrested... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    Lewis defense requesting the judge quash all reference to the shooting of the Librarian and policy changes made in the aftermath as it would be prejudicial.. "The law concerning culpable negligence centers on exposure of injury, not infliction of injury or death, according to Romine" First article i have seen that identified the Lt and Captain that resigned as a direct result. I know the LT provided the live ammo. I dont know how the Captain was involved.. maybe the coverup that has been alluded to.

http://charlottesun.fl.newsmemory.co...reid=19f0d78d0

If anyone has the investigation reports and are willing to share, please send to CityWatchNorthPortFL@outlook.com.. Thanks.
    Well being shot and killed is certainly exposure to injury.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

today's Sun

Defense says PGPD ‘not forthcoming’ in former officer’s case

By ANNE EASKER

STAFF WRITER

A Lee County judge denied a request to dismiss the case of former Punta Gorda police officer Lee Coel, who shot and killed retired librarian Mary Knowlton during an August 2016 roleplaying scenario. Coel, 29, played the “bad guy” in a shoot/don’t shoot exercise performed for members of the Chamber of Commerce, but rather than shooting blanks, real wadcutter bullets came from his gun, fatally wounding 73-year-old Knowlton.

Defense attorneys expressed frustration with the Punta Gorda Police Department in court Friday, accusing its members of not being entirely candid in statements during both the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the trial of former police Chief Tom Lewis, who was tried last summer for culpable negligence.

“My problem is with the Punta Gorda Police Department,” said defense attorney Alvin Entin. “I don’t think they’ve been forthcoming.”

Both the state and defense agreed to submit an email to Judge Margaret Steinbeck sent by former Punta Gorda police chief Tom Lewis, which he allegedly sent to both FDLE Agent Gary Negrinelli, who handled the initial shooting investigation, and current Punta Gorda Police Chief Pam Davis.

In the email, Lewis alleged that Capt. Jason Ciaschini, who served as interim chief while Lewis was on administrative leave, lied during the FDLE investigation and during Lewis’s trial. According to defense attorney Thomas Schlafani, Lewis listed 12 statements of Ciaschini’s which were either inaccurate or misleading, and asked Chief Davis to charge Ciaschini with perjury.

Punta Gorda Police Department

Public Information Officer Lt. Dylan Renz said he could not comment on the allegations. Captain Ciaschini has not been placed on administrative leave.

Assistant State Attorney Stephanie Russell argued that she didn’t know what Lewis’s email had to do with the motion to dismiss the case, and there were no uncontested facts that would justify a dismissal. Judge Steinbeck denied the motion but acknowledged defense’s frustration, particular in regard to a delay in discovery material.

The police department handed over one terabyte of documents, photographs, and video in October that it previously claimed not to have. According to defense attorney Alvin Entin, FDLE agents stated during depositions for Coel’s case that the information would have been useful during their investigation.

Entin argued a motion demanding additional documents, including evidence of past or present drug or alcoholic ingestion or dependency, any evidence of psychiatric treatment, and any evidence and results of any lie detector tests for any witnesses the state intends to call.

“I want to make sure my guy isn’t being negatively affected by the self-preservation of the Punta Gorda Police Department,” he said.

Judge Steinbeck said some of Entin’s requests seemed overreaching and directed the state to go back to the police department and ensure all relevant documents have been turned over as evidence.

Steinbeck reserved ruling on one defense motion to strike portions of the information, which lays out the charge against Coel.

The current information states Coel killed Knowlton “by act or culpable negligence” and that he “did carry, display, use, or attempt to use a weapon or firearm.” Defense requested the charge be more narrowed down so they are better able to form a defense.

Following the motions, Coel’s trial was scheduled for the first two weeks of October, beginning with jury selection on Tuesday, Oct. 2, at the Charlotte County Justice Center.

Email: aeasker@sun-herald.com

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

2 of 12.. =D

oh my.. my.. my I'd say Schiff Lewis is a bit.. Disgruntled!

Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2018 11:03 PM
    To: Pam Davis <PDavis@cityofpuntagordafl.com>
    Cc: Tom Lloyd <abndaddy27@gmail.com>; Tom Lloyd <toml@water.net>; WBBH-TV NBC-2/WZVN-TV ABC-7 <kellym@water.net>; WBBH-TV NBC-2/WZVN-TV ABC-7 <newstips@nbc-2.com>; Anne Easker <aeasker@sun-herald.com>
    Subject: Formal Personnel Complaint (2 of 12)

Chief Pam Davis,

As you know, I have endured media, public comment and media/public scrutiny regarding the events that unfolded on August 9th surrounding the death of Mary Knowlton. Although there are many factors that resulted in the outcome, I remained dismayed at how some aspects remain uninvestigated; one of those aspects is that of Interim Captain Norm Nahra. On the same evening, just moments before her death, then-Lieutenant Norm Nahra failed to address Officer Lee Coel's reckless handling the same firearm that killed Mary Knowlton; that can be seen in the attached video. As you can see in the attached video, had Norman Nahra addressed Lee Coel's reckless actions, Mary Knowlton would still be alive. Lee Coel can be seen with the revolver in his right hand. I am well aware of Interim Captain Norm Nahra's personal relationship with IA investigator Lieutenant Terry Cochran. It is clear that Lieutenant Terry Cochran covered for his friend Norman Nahra as this was never addressed in the internal affairs investigation. I am asking that you investigate this atrocity. The citizens of Punta Gorda deserve to know what occurred that day. I can assure you that I intend to hold the members of the Punta Gorda Police Department, the City Manager and the City Council accountable. This is the second of 12 significant issues that I intend to address; I am simply asking that you do your due diligence and your job prior to that end.

Thank you and I look forward to your response.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234