Gerald McNulty

Thread: Gerald McNulty

Unregistered

Gerald McNulty

Former deputy says the '#metoo' movement led to his departure from the Lee County Sheriff's Office

Melissa Montoya, MMONTOYA@NEWS-PRESS.COM Published 8:12 p.m. ET March 1, 2018 | Updated 8:26 p.m. ET March 1, 2018

A Lee County sheriff's deputy who resigned amid an internal affairs investigation claiming sexual harassment said he was made an example of because of the "#Metoo" movement.

Gerald McNulty, who until Thursday was an LCSO staff officer, said he was blindsided by the release of the internal affairs investigation that found he had conducted himself improperly and had harassed women at the sheriff's office.

McNulty sent an email to the sheriff's office saying he was resigning on Feb. 28. His last day of employment was Thursday. McNulty had no substantiated internal affairs cases in the five previous years.

A second deputy, Kevin Armstrong, was fired for misusing his sick leave. Attempts to reach Armstrong were unsuccessful on Thursday.

"I was told by the administration that quote Gerry, had this happened six months ago or six months from now, you would have been sent to sensitivity training," McNulty said. "Because it's the 'me too' thing, they are going to make an example of you."

More: #MeToo: Women stand in solidarity, showing the vast reach of misogyny in America, world

The internal affairs investigation found that McNulty kissed a lieutenant while she was at her desk in the office.

The lieutenant reported the incident on Dec. 13, 2017, about a month after it occurred.

The lieutenant said she was taken aback and ignored McNulty's phone calls and messages in the coming days, but she did answer one of his phone calls to say it was inappropriate behavior.

He apologized and the two continued their friendship, but in early December, he attempted to kiss her again. This time, the lieutenant blocked him with her hand and said "inappropriate."

The lieutenant let the incident go, but some time afterward she spoke with another woman who said McNulty had been inappropriate with her as well.

More: Report on retired Deputy Quackenbush substantiates charges

The lieutenant realized the situation was not isolated and decided she "had to do something about it at this point."

McNulty said he kissed the lieutenant because she was upset and crying and "felt pity for her," according to the internal affairs investigation.

During the internal affairs investigation, investigators found female personnel from community relations, the west district and communications might have been subject to McNulty's inappropriate behavior. McNulty denied the lieutenant had told him he acted inappropriately and he denied trying to kiss her again.

Investigators documented at least four other incidents across three departments where women felt uncomfortable. One woman said she felt so uncomfortable that she would leave the communications office if McNulty walked in and would pretend to be on a phone call if she saw him outside.

More: Lee County Sheriff's Office clears officer in posting of slur about Edison Mall brawl

But the internal affairs investigation is one-sided, McNulty said when reached by phone Thursday evening.

"I want to clear my name," McNulty said.

To do so, he said, he is preparing to sue the sheriff's office for defamation.

"With his 'me too' thing, they are lumping me in with a Harvey Weinstein and I am not that guy," McNulty said. "I am 66 years old. I am not that guy."

The "#Metoo" movement began to spread in October of last year after The New York Times published an investigation into the well-known rumor and hidden secret of Weinstein's treatment of women in the film industry.

The term was coined by activist Tarana Burke in 2006 as a battle cry for women who have experienced sexual violence and harassment but spread after actress Alyssa Milano asked survivors to share their story on Twitter with the #metoo hashtag.

"I was even told you are probably going to get some sensitivity training and that's it because what you did is not that big of a deal, but it's now in the national eye," McNulty said.

"Am I stupid in public? Yes, but I'm not a bad guy," he added.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Former deputy says the '#metoo' movement led to his departure from the Lee County Sheriff's Office

Melissa Montoya, MMONTOYA@NEWS-PRESS.COM Published 8:12 p.m. ET March 1, 2018 | Updated 8:26 p.m. ET March 1, 2018

A Lee County sheriff's deputy who resigned amid an internal affairs investigation claiming sexual harassment said he was made an example of because of the "#Metoo" movement.

Gerald McNulty, who until Thursday was an LCSO staff officer, said he was blindsided by the release of the internal affairs investigation that found he had conducted himself improperly and had harassed women at the sheriff's office.

McNulty sent an email to the sheriff's office saying he was resigning on Feb. 28. His last day of employment was Thursday. McNulty had no substantiated internal affairs cases in the five previous years.

A second deputy, Kevin Armstrong, was fired for misusing his sick leave. Attempts to reach Armstrong were unsuccessful on Thursday.

"I was told by the administration that quote Gerry, had this happened six months ago or six months from now, you would have been sent to sensitivity training," McNulty said. "Because it's the 'me too' thing, they are going to make an example of you."

More: #MeToo: Women stand in solidarity, showing the vast reach of misogyny in America, world

The internal affairs investigation found that McNulty kissed a lieutenant while she was at her desk in the office.

The lieutenant reported the incident on Dec. 13, 2017, about a month after it occurred.

The lieutenant said she was taken aback and ignored McNulty's phone calls and messages in the coming days, but she did answer one of his phone calls to say it was inappropriate behavior.

He apologized and the two continued their friendship, but in early December, he attempted to kiss her again. This time, the lieutenant blocked him with her hand and said "inappropriate."

The lieutenant let the incident go, but some time afterward she spoke with another woman who said McNulty had been inappropriate with her as well.

More: Report on retired Deputy Quackenbush substantiates charges

The lieutenant realized the situation was not isolated and decided she "had to do something about it at this point."

McNulty said he kissed the lieutenant because she was upset and crying and "felt pity for her," according to the internal affairs investigation.

During the internal affairs investigation, investigators found female personnel from community relations, the west district and communications might have been subject to McNulty's inappropriate behavior. McNulty denied the lieutenant had told him he acted inappropriately and he denied trying to kiss her again.

Investigators documented at least four other incidents across three departments where women felt uncomfortable. One woman said she felt so uncomfortable that she would leave the communications office if McNulty walked in and would pretend to be on a phone call if she saw him outside.

More: Lee County Sheriff's Office clears officer in posting of slur about Edison Mall brawl

But the internal affairs investigation is one-sided, McNulty said when reached by phone Thursday evening.

"I want to clear my name," McNulty said.

To do so, he said, he is preparing to sue the sheriff's office for defamation.

"With his 'me too' thing, they are lumping me in with a Harvey Weinstein and I am not that guy," McNulty said. "I am 66 years old. I am not that guy."

The "#Metoo" movement began to spread in October of last year after The New York Times published an investigation into the well-known rumor and hidden secret of Weinstein's treatment of women in the film industry.

The term was coined by activist Tarana Burke in 2006 as a battle cry for women who have experienced sexual violence and harassment but spread after actress Alyssa Milano asked survivors to share their story on Twitter with the #metoo hashtag.

"I was even told you are probably going to get some sensitivity training and that's it because what you did is not that big of a deal, but it's now in the national eye," McNulty said.

"Am I stupid in public? Yes, but I'm not a bad guy," he added.
    We all know that this creep is one of Mike Scott's besties. Mike took care of him all the way and placed him in his locations on purpose. Who would, independently, come forward knowing that this is another one of Mike's armpit warriors?... Knowing he was using his position and friendship with Mike to his advantage, we were all hesitant. Creep, creep, creep....