Cars - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cars

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I here theres been a big debate over this at IS2 trng
    Does this mean the inspectors will no longer have vehicles? Or what are they doing with this?

Unregistered
    The ISIIs won't have cars for much longer. The only reason they have them is because it was a way to get agents to downgrade to an ISII position.

Unregistered
    The ISIIs won't have cars for much longer. The only reason they have them is because it was a way to get agents to downgrade to an ISII position.
    Agents downgrading was because of the well-placed fear perpetrated by toadies of a previous administration. Fear ruled the day and people made decisions based the "pending apocalypse"
    The car issue is because ABT didn't do their homework and got spanked by DMS. The tele-commute agreement is an attempt to make it OK. I think agents will be parking their cars at the office before inspectors will.

Unregistered
    I don't think so. I do more thorough inspections than the agents...because they have a lunch date or some kid function to attend to. I work my 8 straight. No badge or gun, sometime work is not fun.

Unregistered
    I don't think so. I do more thorough inspections than the agents...because they have a lunch date or some kid function to attend to. I work my 8 straight. No badge or gun, sometime work is not fun.
    If you are in an office where agents do inspections the captain is a moron for allowing it.

Unregistered

Clear

I here theres been a big debate over this at IS2 trng
    The Chief and Asst Director were very clear as to their instructions to supervisors on this subject. The question of when travel counts using a state vehicle as work hours for this issue is simple: 1) if you are going anywhere to do any work away from the office from your residence, you count that travel time as work hours; 2) if you drive directly to the office from your residence (without first making stops for inspections, etc) the travel to the office doesn't count for work hours.

This is likely where many offices got confused and made the policy apply to agents in the past. It does apply to inspectors as part of the agreement. It probably doesn't apply to Agents due to the different statutes allowing for take home cars.

Unregistered

Nope

You need to read your statutes better. As with most agencies, any employee driving over 10,000 miles per year is likely to be assigned a state vehicle in the same arrangement we have now. Those driving less could be subjected to driving personal vehicles.

Unregistered
    You need to read your statutes better. As with most agencies, any employee driving over 10,000 miles per year is likely to be assigned a state vehicle in the same arrangement we have now. Those driving less could be subjected to driving personal vehicles.
    The is no statute the requires agencies to supply take home cars. We are very lucky to have that benefit.

Unregistered
    The is no statute the requires agencies to supply take home cars. We are very lucky to have that benefit.
    Never said "required," I said "likely." See (a) for inspectors and (b) for Agents.

287.17 FS

(3)(a) The term “official state business” may not be construed to permit the use of a motor vehicle or aircraft for commuting purposes, unless special assignment of a motor vehicle is authorized as a perquisite by the Department of Management Services, required by an employee after normal duty hours to perform duties of the position to which assigned, or authorized for an employee whose home is the official base of operation.
    (b) For motor vehicles used by a state employee whose duties are those of a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10, the term “official state business” shall be construed to permit the use of the vehicle during normal duty hours to and from lunch or meal breaks and incidental stops for personal errands, but not substantial deviations from official state business, if such use is at the direction of or with the permission of the agency head.

In the case of the 10,000 mile rule, it's actually the minimum mileage to allow assignment. But it's also the standard most agencies use to automatically assign a vehicle.

[i](4) An agency head, as defined in s. 287.012, shall comply with the following criteria for the special assignment of motor vehicles:
    (a) An agency head may assign a motor vehicle to a state officer or employee only if the officer or employee is projected to drive the motor vehicle a minimum of 10,000 miles annually on official state business, unless an agency head annually provides written justification for the need of the assignment of a motor vehicle. Commuting mileage incidental to use of the motor vehicle on official state business shall be excluded from calculating the projected mileage. Priority in assigning motor vehicles shall be given to those employees who drive over 15,000 miles annually on state business.
    (b) An agency head may assign motor vehicles to state officers and employees who perform duties related to law enforcement. However, the agency head shall not assign a pursuit motor vehicle to an officer or employee whose job duties do not routinely require performance of a patrol or law enforcement function requiring a pursuit vehicle.[i/]

State law and rules concerning assignment of state vehicles hasn't changed much since the 1998 OPPAGA report outlined what they eventually placed in the above statute. It is not REQUIRED to assign state vehicles to employees driving more than 10,000 miles. But, when employees drive a lot (especially over 15,000 miles as noted), the state actually SAVES money by assigning state vehicle.

Let's keep in mind for all employees (except LEO's), the main and often only factor is which option costs more and what saves the state money. While it's possible not all inspectors drive 10,000+ miles a year… most probably do.

DMS, IG, and any other entity looking at ABT vehicle compliance is mainly looking to our management to get their paperwork in order. How vehicles are actually operated isn't really the main problem we've had. The statute outlines clear paths to assigning such cars. We just never filled the damn forms out, basically.

1998 OPPAGA report: http://www.oppaga.state.fl.us/reports/pdf/9812rpt.pdf

Unregistered
    Point made. My comment was not specifically directed toward yours. My comment was intended for those that have the mistaken belief that they are owed a car.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast