Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Vertical Jump: 15 inches

300 meter run: 70 seconds

Pushups: 34 no time limit

Situps: 28 in one minute

Pullups: 6

1.5 mile run: 12:35

These are the minimum standards, Snowflake.
    You forgot swimming 100 yards in 30 seconds and you must qualify in HALO/HAHO jump.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir66 View Post
    I was wondering if there was a fitness test I'm required to pass in order to begin the correctional probation academy.. And if so what are the standards?
    Contact the academy! No pull-ups or 12 minutes 1.5 miles run, the time for the 1.5 mile run is around 16 minutes for the law enforcement academy (FDLE standard for the 5 events PAT). Don't listen these clowns!

Unregistered
    You forgot swimming 100 yards in 30 seconds and you must qualify in HALO/HAHO jump.
    I didn't forget, both events were discontinued in late 2016 due to lack of adequate facilities for swimming and they couldn't get a dedicated aircraft for the jumps.

This:

I am not a PO, I am a LEO so I cannot tell you much about the Academy for Probation BUT I will tell you this...

If this ^^^^^ is how you see the profession you are about to start, chances are you made a mistake. Probation Officers will have more to say but I doubt you can put a whole career in this field if you are already complaining about how you would rather join FHP instead of being a "social worker at a desk", PO do a bit more than pushing a pen sitting at a desk by the way.
    And if you think that FHP is like heaven, think again, before you waste someone's else time, they have their issues like everybody else, not a great salary, high turnover rate, Troopers are not as supported by their brass as they would like (some Troops are much better than others), many get sick and tired of the missions after a couple of years, too much micro management in some areas...

What do you want exactly? A career in something related to law enforcement and corrections, with a decent salary, but you are already whining about doing push ups, sit ups, running a few days a week, all that while you are being paid? Again I am not a PO so I am not sure what their fitness program consists of, I honestly doubt it is as demanding as a military boot camp, if you have been training you should do okay, show determination that's what every fitness instructor wants to see. You shouldn't be complaining about that imo, even if you aren't "a real cop", being fit and sharp can only benefit you It is probably rare but what if the probationer wants to pick a fight with you, how are you going to handle yourself if you are completely out of shape? Keep in mind that as a PO you are part of the criminal justice system, some bad people see you as a target.

The physical fitness program shouldn't be what makes you join Probation, FHP or anything else. And reading "I rather join FHP..." I am assuming that you would be good with the FHP Academy demanding physical fitness training? So why is this a problem with the Probation Academy?

And this:

I might be wrong but I think NJ separates Parole. In Florida it is done by 1 Department. Please correct me if I am incorrect but I have been tole in NJ and NY Parole are Leo's Probation is not. I agree with the previous poster. I have been to both academy's and the physical part is the same. However, not the same as FHP and Fish/ Game (now they bust ass everyday). I have been told P&P is the hardest academically. Your already expected to know quite a bit (4 year degree required). I will tell you this---in P&P you will be expected to arrest people, you will work with local state and federal leo a lot, you will do searches,people will resist arrest etc... If your looking for Social Work, work in that profession. Remember we are much closer kin to police than any other.---Good Luck to you.

I might be wrong but I think NJ separates Parole. In Florida it is done by 1 Department. Please correct me if I am incorrect but I have been tole in NJ and NY Parole are Leo's Probation is not. I agree with the previous poster. I have been to both academy's and the physical part is the same. However, not the same as FHP and Fish/ Game (now they bust ass everyday). I have been told P&P is the hardest academically. Your already expected to know quite a bit (4 year degree required). I will tell you this---in P&P you will be expected to arrest people, you will work with local state and federal leo a lot, you will do searches,people will resist arrest etc... If your looking for Social Work, work in that profession. Remember we are much closer kin to police than any other.---Good Luck to you.
    are both very well said. I'm a new officer, but before I accepted the job I was told CPO's were nothing but social workers who rode a desk all day. Well..you could have fooled me. We regularly serve warrants, arrest people, search residences, vehicles, and a host of other LEO duties. I volunteered to assist with county sex offender searches, so i'm searching at least once a week now (thus far anyway). I've worked with the local sheriff's office numerous times on PCI's and have had good success getting offenders on new law violations with them (mostly drug related) The thing about P&P is that you take all of the LEO risks by yourself in the middle of the night..and get little to no respect for it.

Here's a short story for you. I went to an offender's house who was pending a violation for a positive UA and moving without permission to do a home verification, I get there, mom lets me in the house and then tells me the offender isn't home as we walk to the offender's bedroom (which is odd..but that's what happend). While in the offender's bedroom the TV is on, license is on the dresser, money and keys are there...and there is a bag of marijuana and 3 small baggies of a white substance later identified as methamphetamine on top his dresser. This guy had been baker acted several times in the last few months. His mother eventually lead to me to his hiding place (her closet) where I got him out of the closet, handcuffed him, did a PC arrest, and got a jail transport to the local jail for the offender and the evidence. That was my arrest that resulted in additional VOP violations which ultimately lead to the offender being sentenced to 3 years in prison. I suppose what i'm saying is this job is like any other...it's what you make of it. If you want to get involved with the sheriff's office, US Marshals, make arrests, and have fun..generally, you can. If you want to ride a desk and do the minimal amount necessary to satisfy your contacts and O's/R's...there are supervisors that will allow that as well. What's cool about this job is the flexibility and the fact that this is probably the only LEO-ish job that is so involved with the judicial system. The Judges in small counties know CPOs by name as do to the state attorneys. You really get to be apart of the system and the court.

Do not come to P&P expecting to be a social worker..you will be woefully unprepared, getting into a fight with an offender is the same for a PO as it is for a LEO..and you have to be ready. One thing is for certain ...no matter what you decide (FHP/P&P/CO..whatever) your attitude has to change. We at P&P (and i'm sure FHP and elsewhere) have more than enough negative people with terrible attitudes as it is. I've seen more than my share of old timers with the social worker mentality..but luckily those individuals are retiring or are moving on at a fairly decent pace.

Best of luck

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by flprobationandparole View Post
    This:

are both very well said. I'm a new officer, but before I accepted the job I was told CPO's were nothing but social workers who rode a desk all day. Well..you could have fooled me. We regularly serve warrants, arrest people, search residences, vehicles, and a host of other LEO duties. I volunteered to assist with county sex offender searches, so i'm searching at least once a week now (thus far anyway). I've worked with the local sheriff's office numerous times on PCI's and have had good success getting offenders on new law violations with them (mostly drug related) The thing about P&P is that you take all of the LEO risks by yourself in the middle of the night..and get little to no respect for it.

Here's a short story for you. I went to an offender's house who was pending a violation for a positive UA and moving without permission to do a home verification, I get there, mom lets me in the house and then tells me the offender isn't home as we walk to the offender's bedroom (which is odd..but that's what happend). While in the offender's bedroom the TV is on, license is on the dresser, money and keys are there...and there is a bag of marijuana and 3 small baggies of a white substance later identified as methamphetamine on top his dresser. This guy had been baker acted several times in the last few months. His mother eventually lead to me to his hiding place (her closet) where I got him out of the closet, handcuffed him, did a PC arrest, and got a jail transport to the local jail for the offender and the evidence. That was my arrest that resulted in additional VOP violations which ultimately lead to the offender being sentenced to 3 years in prison. I suppose what i'm saying is this job is like any other...it's what you make of it. If you want to get involved with the sheriff's office, US Marshals, make arrests, and have fun..generally, you can. If you want to ride a desk and do the minimal amount necessary to satisfy your contacts and O's/R's...there are supervisors that will allow that as well. What's cool about this job is the flexibility and the fact that this is probably the only LEO-ish job that is so involved with the judicial system. The Judges in small counties know CPOs by name as do to the state attorneys. You really get to be apart of the system and the court.

Do not come to P&P expecting to be a social worker..you will be woefully unprepared, getting into a fight with an offender is the same for a PO as it is for a LEO..and you have to be ready. One thing is for certain ...no matter what you decide (FHP/P&P/CO..whatever) your attitude has to change. We at P&P (and i'm sure FHP and elsewhere) have more than enough negative people with terrible attitudes as it is. I've seen more than my share of old timers with the social worker mentality..but luckily those individuals are retiring or are moving on at a fairly decent pace.

Best of luck
    Dude that is fine and all, but at the end of the day, we are NOT Law Enforcement Officers. You are not. You arrest on Violation of Probation. If the offender has a suspended d/l can you initiate a traffic stop? Can you arrest him for it? Or....would you call the local LEO to conduct the traffic stop? really, tell these soon to be social workers that you only arrest those under DOC supervision. We are NOT Cops- even though some want to act that way. You can only search residences, vehicles, property of those under DOC supervision.
    As far as old timers go, you had better hope that you are able to become a old timer.
    I don't recall doing any traffic stops at the academy, building entry's/clearances. As a matter of fact our academy was totally different than the LEO academy. I mean all you had to do was look at the classes and you could tell who was who- not by uniform but by appearance. Once again we are NOT cops. You are NOT a cop. Doesn't mater how many times you say/think it, you are NOT a cop. As a mater of fact if you think that you are a LEO, try getting hired at your local agency and see if your probation academy will exclude you from attending the LEO academy. Think NOT. So to all you new recruits, we, you are NOT LEOS! Don't get into this line of work thinking that you are There is nothing LEO-ish about P&P

Unregistered
    I started with DOC in 1993 and quit in 1996 to become a policeman. My first year my pay more than doubled. I was compensated
    for my degree and really enjoyed my job. I have rehabilitated and diverted more people as a cop than I ever would have as a PO.
    Doc is like McDonalds it's not meant to be a career. It prepares you for your career in the CJS then you move on. I retired at age
    46 with 17 years on the job with a $50,000 a year pension. I would have never seen that at DOC. I have never been on DOC page
    before but you all complain about the same things we did 24 years ago. Things will NEVER change there so you better make
    the change.

Jim

Unregistered
    and your LEO academy will prevent you from going to the CPO academy if you want to change right?
    and if you are LEO then go fed you don't have to go to their academy right ?
    Because LEO is so great and mighty all others cower in their presence
    just some pencil neck geek being a tough guy behind a computer but pisses his pants when has to deal with real people

Unregistered
    and your LEO academy will prevent you from going to the CPO academy if you want to change right?
    and if you are LEO then go fed you don't have to go to their academy right ?
    Because LEO is so great and mighty all others cower in their presence
    just some pencil neck geek being a tough guy behind a computer but pisses his pants when has to deal with real people

Ok my friend, I can see that they relaxed the requirements when you were applied. They must have been desperate for a warm body.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by flprobationandparole View Post
    This:

Best of luck
    You should have gone to the residence with another officer or a cop. Don't take unnecessary risks. The situation you described could have gotten ugly quickly. Anyway, good job!

Unregistered

You have to be stupid

Dude that is fine and all, but at the end of the day, we are NOT Law Enforcement Officers. You are not. You arrest on Violation of Probation. If the offender has a suspended d/l can you initiate a traffic stop? Can you arrest him for it? Or....would you call the local LEO to conduct the traffic stop? really, tell these soon to be social workers that you only arrest those under DOC supervision. We are NOT Cops- even though some want to act that way. You can only search residences, vehicles, property of those under DOC supervision.
    As far as old timers go, you had better hope that you are able to become a old timer.
    I don't recall doing any traffic stops at the academy, building entry's/clearances. As a matter of fact our academy was totally different than the LEO academy. I mean all you had to do was look at the classes and you could tell who was who- not by uniform but by appearance. Once again we are NOT cops. You are NOT a cop. Doesn't mater how many times you say/think it, you are NOT a cop. As a mater of fact if you think that you are a LEO, try getting hired at your local agency and see if your probation academy will exclude you from attending the LEO academy. Think NOT. So to all you new recruits, we, you are NOT LEOS! Don't get into this line of work thinking that you are There is nothing LEO-ish about P&P
    You have to be the dumbest poster to DOC..P/P... if you want to go with your argument ...then that means Federal Agents FBI ATF DEA who do NOT enforce traffic laws .. are NOT LEOs....that's why they have task force filled with all type of agencies bevuase they need local cops to do the csr stops ..you guys have statutory powers arrest over probationer.. under federal law you guys have the authority under LEOSA to carry a firearm all OVER THE USA under your badge/ID NO florida permit required.. or did u not know CO/ and Probation do not need a Florida ccw to carry your personal firearm ..

In NYS law all CO''s. And..NYS parole agents are full fledge Leo's who carry on id and have arrest powers on and off duty ..but DO not conduct traffic stops ..all agency who have LEO'S who do not do the training for car stop or the authority or basically their agency don't want them too ..
    work together with local Leo's to compensate for the lack of car stop authority.
    You need to educate yourself. .when you sign up for probation you check the box where it says you will be helping local leos in time of danger under FLORIDA Statue and power within your agency Probation parole are LEO's ..just because u are not enforing traffic laws doesn't make u less of a LEO

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast