Turnpike Standoff - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    FHP has no helicopters they have a few single engine fixed wings but no choppers.
    Thanks, Lieutenant. The post you quoted stated specifically that we got rid of helicopters (Note: "Got rid of" means we no longer have them)

I used it as an example of something that FHP once had but doesn't anymore-- because they were a duplication of services the locals already provided--just like SRT.

However, I do want to congratulate you on your upcoming promotion. There are a couple Captain slots open and with your reading comprehension skills and on-point observations, you'll definitely get that second bar.

Unregistered
    http://www.local10.com/traffic/turnp...-into-custody-

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/P...397813571.html

Miami-Dade PD shut down the Pike today during a standoff with an armed susoect threatening to harm himself. Eventually MDPD SWAT arrested him.

Florida Statute 338.239(2): "...Florida Highway Patrol Troop K shall be headquartered with the turnpike enterprise and shall be the official and preferred law enforcement troop for the turnpike system.

The South Region also has an SRT Team. So, if we're the "official and preferred" LE troop for the Turnpike, and we have an SRT Team, why did Metro run the show?
    It is fair to assume that MDPD is mobilized more frequently than FHP's SRT. Therefore it is fair to say that MDPD can and will mobilize faster.

That being said, it is extremely likely that this incident was called in on 911, meaning it was received by MDPD. They now have a duty to respond/act, to ensure the safety of the victim and the public. They are not going to 10-23 waiting for FHP when they could actively work the incident.

Now it is fair to assume that when and if FHP responded they could, by statute, take over command of the incident.

But let's be real for a second, you don't join FHP to be a SWAT operator. You join FHP for the cars, hat and uniform. Lol

Unregistered
    I left FHP along time ago. Huge difference elsewhere. I come on this site from time to time to see whats new and its the same old crap. Please don't be discouraged, apply elsewhere, move on, best thing you can do.

Unregistered
    It is fair to assume that MDPD is mobilized more frequently than FHP's SRT. Therefore it is fair to say that MDPD can and will mobilize faster.

That being said, it is extremely likely that this incident was called in on 911, meaning it was received by MDPD. They now have a duty to respond/act, to ensure the safety of the victim and the public. They are not going to 10-23 waiting for FHP when they could actively work the incident.

Now it is fair to assume that when and if FHP responded they could, by statute, take over command of the incident.

But let's be real for a second, you don't join FHP to be a SWAT operator. You join FHP for the cars, hat and uniform. Lol

You are on the money. And very said.

The call started out as a robbery which came through 911, which MDPD responded.

So to begin with its already MDPD' s incident and they also have the jurisdiction. What authority does FHP have to take over? None!

Therefore, MDPD requested thier own SRT, why would they request FHP's SRT?

Now, if this was a FHP Incident to begin with then Troop K could have requested FHP SRT.

But here are the questions;

Does FHP have certified and an experienceed negotiators?

Does FHP SRT have the training and experience to handle these types of incidents?

How long would it have taken for a full SRT to be on scene?

Unregistered
    You are on the money. And very said.

The call started out as a robbery which came through 911, which MDPD responded.

So to begin with its already MDPD' s incident and they also have the jurisdiction. What authority does FHP have to take over? None!

Therefore, MDPD requested thier own SRT, why would they request FHP's SRT?

Now, if this was a FHP Incident to begin with then Troop K could have requested FHP SRT.

But here are the questions;

Does FHP have certified and an experienceed negotiators?

Does FHP SRT have the training and experience to handle these types of incidents?

How long would it have taken for a full SRT to be on scene?
    I respectfully disagree with your contention that where it started is the controlling factor. When incidents start out in the county and end up in the jurisdiction of specialized agencies (like a school or university campus) Those agencies don't throw their hands up and say "Ok Metro, I know this started out in the county and even though you're now on campus and this is where the incident is now occurring, we're going to back off and let you run the show" BUT, that being said, you're right on with the SRT issue. FHP doesn't have negotiators, nor the training or experience to handle something like this. Which again, leads me to my original question:s Why does FHP SRT exist? What function does it serve?

Unregistered
    I respectfully disagree with your contention that where it started is the controlling factor. When incidents start out in the county and end up in the jurisdiction of specialized agencies (like a school or university campus) Those agencies don't throw their hands up and say "Ok Metro, I know this started out in the county and even though you're now on campus and this is where the incident is now occurring, we're going to back off and let you run the show" BUT, that being said, you're right on with the SRT issue. FHP doesn't have negotiators, nor the training or experience to handle something like this. Which again, leads me to my original question:s Why does FHP SRT exist? What function does it serve?
    Serious question: Do the RCC's have a current protocol to even ACTIVATE the SRT? And i mean activate them in any sort of timely fashion?

Unregistered
    Shows how many multi-jurisdictional incidents you have worked. Yes the agency where the incident starts has jurisdiction while yes that does not mean that where the incident ends up has to give up control. But ultimately the home agency while make the arrest and file the charges..

Unregistered

Its a public roadway which is still in the jurisdiction of MDPD. No different if it were tha Palmetto. The main issue, MDPD responded to the robbery which led to the standoff. So its MDPD' s call from the start.

FHP was not contacted until MDPD was already on scene needed FHP's assistance to to shut down the roadway.

Unregistered
    Just for information, the FHP helicopters were grounded because the Lieutenant pilots assigned to them always came up with excuses not to fly. The command staff finally and rightly so got fed up with them and cancelled the helo program.
    Secondly, the standoff on the turnpike began as a City of Miami call not Miami Dade. A Miami Dade officer spotted the vehicle which began the standoff. There were numerious FHP troopers on scene as well.

Unregistered
    I left FHP along time ago. Huge difference elsewhere. I come on this site from time to time to see whats new and its the same old crap. Please don't be discouraged, apply elsewhere, move on, best thing you can do.
    I have to agree 100 percent...I left FHP recently and I have to say it was the best thing I could have done. To all you who are thinking about leaving, I encourage you! The grass isnt just greener its gold and in some places platinum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast