Overtime availability
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Overtime availability

Good afternoon everyone.

I am thinking about joining FHP but want to get some information before I apply. I just got my BA so I have quite a few student loans. I know that starting FHP does not really pay much and I am alright with that. What I want to know is whether there is enough overtime available to make it worth it.

If I was not so tied down with student loans I would not care but unfortunately that is my situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance and have a great day.

Unregistered
    Where I work there is plenty of off duty and overtime. Good luck!

Unregistered
    Come on over, your student loans will never go away here. In fact, you will take on more loans just to keep up with inflation. My rent is 1350 a month for a crappy 2 bedroom apartment, I clear 2250 after taxes, I still have to pay for food and other necessities, no commodities. Do the math.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Come on over, your student loans will never go away here. In fact, you will take on more loans just to keep up with inflation. My rent is 1350 a month for a crappy 2 bedroom apartment, I clear 2250 after taxes, I still have to pay for food and other necessities, no commodities. Do the math.
    Actually after ten years of public service you quality for loan forgiveness.

Unregistered
    Actually after ten years of public service you quality for loan forgiveness.
    Only certain government backed loans not private loans and only for certain high demand government jobs. Last time I checked FHP did not qualify for government loan forgiveness.

Unregistered
    Good afternoon everyone.

I am thinking about joining FHP but want to get some information before I apply. I just got my BA so I have quite a few student loans. I know that starting FHP does not really pay much and I am alright with that. What I want to know is whether there is enough overtime available to make it worth it.

If I was not so tied down with student loans I would not care but unfortunately that is my situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would highly suggest you consider a local Police or Sheriff office that would pay you a lot more for your degree. Sadly, FHP does not pay well and applying for ANY job with the intention of HAVING to constantly work overtime / off-duty is not a good idea. In fact, it can lead to the potential of personal issues with your spouse and family.

Many other agencies pay much better than FHP without having to work off-duty or overtime.

Unregistered
    Best advice I can give you is to read a few threads on this site. You'll learn there are a lot of crybabies in FHP. The rest of the posters are quick to belittle and condemn their fellow troopers. Try some place where the officers actually care about themselves, their coworkers, and their jobs.

Unregistered
    Good afternoon everyone.

Key word: starting. FHP has no step plan. You get hired at 34k a year. After 5 (or even 10) years you're still making 34k. If you can, apply to another agency. You'll start somewhere in the 35-45k range, but after 10 years you'll be making anywhere from 55k-80k, depending on the agency. Or, go with FHP, do 2-3 years on the road, and lateral to another agency (you might even get a signing bonus for being certified at that point).

Unregistered
    Thank you to everyone that has responded. I have applied to a bunch of agencies near and far from me. I have a polygraph with BSO in 2 weeks so hopefully that works out.

Any advice with the poly? I have never taken one.

Thanks again for all of the responses.

Unregistered
    Only certain government backed loans not private loans and only for certain high demand government jobs. Last time I checked FHP did not qualify for government loan forgiveness.
    FHP considered a public service employer for the public service forgiveness program. But, it does depend on the type and time of the loan.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-l...public-service

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/sites/d...orgiveness.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast