Le applicant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Le applicant

KiLo615

Le applicant

I understand there are various threads throughout the past few years, and even some very recent posts, but I'm looking for specific information regarding the agency. I'd like to preface this post with the fact that I'm not from the area and I also understand a lot of posters believe there are better agencies in the area to apply to. Having said that, HCSO is still a goal of mine as I've been a cop for a little while now; I've seen the grass from many sides of a fence and I know each agency will have it's pros and cons.

My first question(s) are about the hiring process. From what I've gathered the process seems like your basic LE hiring process: Application, Interview, Background, Poly, Psych, Physical. Regarding the interview, are there multiple interviews (ie. panel interview then background interview then command staff interview), or is it all done at once? Also, I haven't seen mention of a fitness test, is there a fitness test for certified LE deputies? As far as the timeline, I understand every background is different, but can anybody give a current estimate of the timeline of events between phases of the process? Once hired, what's the process to hitting the road? Is there an in-house academy or orientation stage prior to FTO, or is it straight to the road after suiting up?

Now I may be jumping the gun here, because obviously I have to get this far in the process, but I'd like to get further input if anybody's made it this far in my post. As stated, I'm not from the area, nor do I have any family in the area so I'd like some input in the community. From what I've seen based upon the facebook page, HCSO has quite a bit of community support. Is this the general sentiment of the area or should I expect to be taunted by perps on the street? What areas of the county should I be looking at moving to? Spring Hill seems to be the typical FL community that boomed in the 80s/90s with houses packed into 1/4 acre lots, but the remaining areas seem to be more rural, if I'm correct. Since I'll be starting out with no roots in the community, are there any apartment complexes that offer discounted "courtesy officer" apartments until I get established?

Now to the more work specific, and sometimes controversial, questions: Micromanagement? We're all adults, but do the line supervisors realize this and leave us to do our jobs or should I expect babysitter type supervising (I sh*t you not, I've worked for an agency where we had to get permission to leave the vehicle for a bathroom break and get permission to fuel up). I like to stay busy, be productive, and truly enjoy working...what is the call volume looking like (I've watched the online dispatch screen and it generally looks really quiet, but I don't know if that screen shows all calls, nor do I know how many are working to compare the number of calls to)? I read in previous threads that proactive policing isn't generally liked at HCSO, but is it frowned upon or completely discouraged...bit of a difference. Backup availability? I've always worked for PD's and our backup was usually aplenty so "getting into stuff" was pretty easy and safe to do. I've also heard of some SO's where backup was 20 - 30 minutes out so if getting into something you were on your own for a while. Where does HCSO rate between the two? How is manpower (I understand some may feel this may be operationally unsafe to answer)? Are y'all running bare bones like most agencies these days? Is there any on-duty overtime? How about off-duty overtime jobs? Shifts...12s, 10s, or 8s?

I think I've worn this post out and I appreciate any and all responses, whether they be positive or negative, productive or non-productive. All information is appreciated so please feel free to add info that I didn't bring up. Again, I appreciate y'alls time and input.

Unregistered
    Why not contact HR? Why not check the website?

HR: (352) 797-3670

https://hernandosheriff.applicantsta...l/a2npwohu29v4

Unregistered
    Typical unhelpful answer above. Looks to me like he/she already checked the website for some info but is looking for more information. And if you think HR is gonna answer honestly about manpower, call load, apartments, views on productiveness, etc. you're wrong.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Typical unhelpful answer above. Looks to me like he/she already checked the website for some info but is looking for more information. And if you think HR is gonna answer honestly about manpower, call load, apartments, views on productiveness, etc. you're wrong.
    Atleast the person who posted the link and # actually replied to the topic. You say their answer is a typical unhelpful answer as you ramble away in a reply that doesn't even need to exist. You must be a 'special' deputy, huh?

Unregistered
    A link and phone number that answered zero of his or her questions. So which post truly doesn't need to exist? Who is the special kind of deputy now?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    A link and phone number that answered zero of his or her questions. So which post truly doesn't need to exist? Who is the special kind of deputy now?
    Yours. lol

Unregistered
    It's like any other agency, you have majority support with the obnoxious minority. Our facebook page is easily one of the most active/liked agency pages in the state. You will get a good pulse of how the community perceives the sheriff's office by looking at the reviews.
    https://www.facebook.com/HernandoSheriff/reviews

Spring Hill is developed, Brooksville largely is not. North Weeki Wachee is the next area that will be developed. Houses are built but are sparse and the roads are still limerock which is a pain in the @$$. If I was going to move here and wanted quiet, I'd buy cheap land in North WW and build a house. In 10-15 years when more houses start popping up there and roads are paved, property values will go up. So it would be a smart financial move if you plan on planting roots here IMO. (North WW is north of Hexam Rd, East of 19 and West of the 589/Suncoast Parkway.) You can also check the crime data online for the last 30-days
    http://www.crimemapping.com/Share/5b...aeaf38e8c76b08

KiLo615
    Thank you for the responses. The above post nailed it on the type of info I was looking for. I agree about the HCSO facebook page, it shows phenomenal community support. I really appreciate the point of view regarding the property too. I've been noticing alot of home sale ads mentioning sink holes, so I've just learned of that issue that I need to consider when deciding as well.

Again, I appreciate any and all responses.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by KiLo615 View Post
    Thank you for the responses. The above post nailed it on the type of info I was looking for. I agree about the HCSO facebook page, it shows phenomenal community support. I really appreciate the point of view regarding the property too. I've been noticing alot of home sale ads mentioning sink holes, so I've just learned of that issue that I need to consider when deciding as well.

Again, I appreciate any and all responses.
    Hernando is the second most sinkhole prone county in the state. So no matter where you are in the county you have that risk. Pasco is #1 on the list and Citrus is #6. So even if you live in an adjacent county you can't get away from sinkholes. Most think sinkholes are dramatic that swallow up homes.. which does happen but is extremely rare. Most that find out they have sinkholes notice a crack in their driveway or walls.

Below is a MAP of the sinkhole density in Hernando. Make sure to read the legened. North WW doesn't seem to have much activity as far as I can see.
    http://fcit.usf.edu/florida/maps/pag...29/f11129z.htm

Unregistered
    Why would u work for a sheriffs office period?And yes were micromanaged!!everything and anything.Its the times as we have a lot of young young newcomers,so every move is watched.If I could do it again,I would be a police department with a real union.My 2 cents.If you were my son,Id suggest Orlando p.d,Tampa pd,Miami p.d..Sheriffs offices are glorified security officers.Dont do proactivity is the motto if you want to keep your job longterm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast