No response to pulse - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Unregistered
    The sad thing is, officers were overwhelmed with rescuing people and taking them to the hospital. Could we have assisted them in saving more people? That's the real issue. Erin Dockry and Larry Lawrence failed FHP. Crashes could have held, troopers could have left to respond. Officers could have been shot and we wouldn't have been dispatched or would have known. What is she going to forget to dispatch next time? Maybe they'll fire her after a trooper is shot and killed and she forgets to check his 10-13.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    You work for civilians, you work for the taxpayers, the legislators. Who do you think you work for?
    Soooo your saying if a civilian, taxpayer, or a member of our state legislature told you how to do your job, or what you should do on a particular incident/crash, then you would listen to them? "Sure mister civilian you asked me not give you a ticket, so because I work for you, you don't get a ticket. Thanks boss for allowing me to keep my job and have a nice day." Because your theory is, we work for them. I should listen to all the Facebook and media cops who need to tell me how to do my job because I "work for civilians, work for the taxpayers, the legislators." Riiiiight.

So to answer your question, "who do I think I work for?" I work for the State of Florida, as a member of the Division of the Florida Highway Patrol, which provides "service, courtesy and protection" to the civilians and "taxpayers"; and represents the legislators whom draft the laws which I enforce.

I don't work for the duty officer, she can dispatch me to calls, but she is neither my boss nor my superior in anyway. If a trooper came over the radio and advised they were 10-51 to Pulse, do you really believe the duty officer would have been like, "no you cant go, I forbid you. That's insubordination." Nope. The responsibility in the Pulse case is purely on the TWS that night.

Lol.....I work for the taxpayers... I can't get over that. "Hey Trooper, my taxes pay your salary." LOL.. I am dying over here.

Unregistered
    Soooo your saying if a civilian, taxpayer, or a member of our state legislature told you how to do your job, or what you should do on a particular incident/crash, then you would listen to them? "Sure mister civilian you asked me not give you a ticket, so because I work for you, you don't get a ticket. Thanks boss for allowing me to keep my job and have a nice day." Because your theory is, we work for them. I should listen to all the Facebook and media cops who need to tell me how to do my job because I "work for civilians, work for the taxpayers, the legislators." Riiiiight.

So to answer your question, "who do I think I work for?" I work for the State of Florida, as a member of the Division of the Florida Highway Patrol, which provides "service, courtesy and protection" to the civilians and "taxpayers"; and represents the legislators whom draft the laws which I enforce.

I don't work for the duty officer, she can dispatch me to calls, but she is neither my boss nor my superior in anyway. If a trooper came over the radio and advised they were 10-51 to Pulse, do you really believe the duty officer would have been like, "no you cant go, I forbid you. That's insubordination." Nope. The responsibility in the Pulse case is purely on the TWS that night.

Lol.....I work for the taxpayers... I can't get over that. "Hey Trooper, my taxes pay your salary." LOL.. I am dying over here.
    I am glad that you can laugh about it, unfortunately for you like it or not, it is the truth, no you do not obey the civilian who is telling you not to give him/her a ticket but you work for the people, working for the people doesn't mean that they are your boss, it simply means that you serve the public one way or another, technically by making FL roads safer (reality or not that's another debate), and I am glad that you can feel special because your legislators surely don't care about you as your salary and lack of step plan can prove.

Unregistered

You aren't Alaska or TX State police, if the civilian dispatcher sends you elsewhere than the shooting at the pulse and you don't go, are you 100% certain that your brass is going to support you? I doubt it. You make it sound like you are in the army.

Unregistered
    You aren't Alaska or TX State police, if the civilian dispatcher sends you elsewhere than the shooting at the pulse and you don't go, are you 100% certain that your brass is going to support you? I doubt it. You make it sound like you are in the army.
    "I am glad that you can laugh about it, unfortunately for you like it or not, it is the truth, no you do not obey the civilian who is telling you not to give him/her a ticket but you work for the people, working for the people doesn't mean that they are your boss, it simply means that you serve the public one way or another, technically by making FL roads safer (reality or not that's another debate), and I am glad that you can feel special because your legislators surely don't care about you as your salary and lack of step plan can prove."

Exactly the point. Your arguments are proving my point!! I stated I provide "service, courtesy and protection" to the civilians within Florida. Same as you just repeated. The brass should realize what the priority is. Not the s4 at Disney. Its life, limb, and property. I would bet, the ridiculous paycheck I get, that if a trooper piped up and said "51 to pulse" no supervisor in their right mind would have said "10-22 your response." What is the absolute worse that would have happened if 1 single trooper would have responded??? I have been told by several sergeants, who have said "you don't work for the duty officer" We don't. Sorry.

I don't feel special, as you so blindly claim. I feel that our agency is more worried about a dang s4 that's been holding, then providing assistance to another agency in a critical incident. And no step plan in place. That is why I hate this place right now and everyone.

There is/was no excuse for not sending troopers. I want to hear one good argument for NOT responding. If the OPD command center didn't need troopers, they could have 10-22 us and we could have went back to handing out India 1. Again, not the duty officers job, he/she is not equipped to make those decisions. TWS needs to take blame.

Unregistered
    The sad thing is, officers were overwhelmed with rescuing people and taking them to the hospital. Could we have assisted them in saving more people? That's the real issue. Erin Dockry and Larry Lawrence failed FHP. Crashes could have held, troopers could have left to respond. Officers could have been shot and we wouldn't have been dispatched or would have known. What is she going to forget to dispatch next time? Maybe they'll fire her after a trooper is shot and killed and she forgets to check his 10-13.
    I think I saw somewhere that we are not allowed to transport people to the hospital when it's just for medical emergencies (like not also arrested), that we MUST wait for an ambulance or something to that effect.

Incredible silly, but I can see brass (especially in other parts of the state) writing troopers up for that kind of thing, if we were there and ended up transporting wounded people to ORMC.

Unregistered
    "I am glad that you can laugh about it, unfortunately for you like it or not, it is the truth, no you do not obey the civilian who is telling you not to give him/her a ticket but you work for the people, working for the people doesn't mean that they are your boss, it simply means that you serve the public one way or another, technically by making FL roads safer (reality or not that's another debate), and I am glad that you can feel special because your legislators surely don't care about you as your salary and lack of step plan can prove."

Exactly the point. Your arguments are proving my point!! I stated I provide "service, courtesy and protection" to the civilians within Florida. Same as you just repeated. The brass should realize what the priority is. Not the s4 at Disney. Its life, limb, and property. I would bet, the ridiculous paycheck I get, that if a trooper piped up and said "51 to pulse" no supervisor in their right mind would have said "10-22 your response." What is the absolute worse that would have happened if 1 single trooper would have responded??? I have been told by several sergeants, who have said "you don't work for the duty officer" We don't. Sorry.

I don't feel special, as you so blindly claim. I feel that our agency is more worried about a dang s4 that's been holding, then providing assistance to another agency in a critical incident. And no step plan in place. That is why I hate this place right now and everyone.

There is/was no excuse for not sending troopers. I want to hear one good argument for NOT responding. If the OPD command center didn't need troopers, they could have 10-22 us and we could have went back to handing out India 1. Again, not the duty officers job, he/she is not equipped to make those decisions. TWS needs to take blame.
    OK I understand and I agree with this post

Unregistered
    I think I saw somewhere that we are not allowed to transport people to the hospital when it's just for medical emergencies (like not also arrested), that we MUST wait for an ambulance or something to that effect.

Incredible silly, but I can see brass (especially in other parts of the state) writing troopers up for that kind of thing, if we were there and ended up transporting wounded people to ORMC.
    You can't really believe that! Exigent situations require exigent actions!

Unregistered
    You think FHP brass would take exigent circumstances into consideration? You must be new.

Unregistered
    2 Virginia firefighters suspended for transporting girl to hospital in fire engine

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/06...re-engine.html

Two Virginia volunteer firefighters were suspended for transporting an 18-month-old girl to the hospital in a fire engine last Saturday, ultimately saving her life.

Captain James Kelley and Sgt. Virgil Bloom of the Falmouth Volunteer Fire Department in Fredericksburg were the first to respond to a call of a child having a seizure at an undisclosed location near a McDonald’s and took her to a nearby hospital, according to Fox 5 DC.

Kelley said they were suspended because their fire engine is licensed as a “non-transport unit” and doesn’t have the proper restrains and medications that an ambulance would have. He said when this kind of thing happens firefighters are praised, but then disciplined.

Kelley explained to Fox 5 DC Saturday he told the driver to turn the fire engine on because the child was in desperate need of medical care and the nearest ambulance was about 10 to 15 minutes away. He said when he asked where the nearest medic was, he received vague responses.

The fire engine picked up the child and transported her to Mary Washington Hospital. A separate ambulance requested to meet with the firefighters at the Falmouth Station, but Kelley denied the request because of the proximity to the hospital.

The girl was put on oxygen in the fire engine and was in the trauma room within 13 minutes of the time the call came in, Fox 5 DC reported.

Brian Nunamaker, the girl’s father, told the Fox affiliate the incident occurred as he and his daughter were coming back from running errands. He said he pulled over by the McDonald’s and was assisted by a passerby as well.

“As a parent, you feel extremely helpless to be unable to assist the most important person in the world during such a time of emergency,” Nunamaker said in a statement. “Worst case scenarios run through your head while you are hoping for the best. The eternity of waiting for help to arrive was surprisingly non-existent in this situation. I was surprised at how quickly help had arrived in the form of a fire truck."

When the firefighters arrived on the scene, Nunamaker’s daughter was limp but she was still breathing and had a pulse. His daughter arrived at the hospital and started to have another seizure, but it stopped momentarily. Nunamaker said his daughter was later transferred to VCU and was later discharged.

Nunamaker told Fox 5 DC he was hoping to put the ordeal behind him, but couldn’t when he heard the news of Kelley and Bloom’s suspension.

"My wife and I feel terrible for the fallout that has happened to these two gentlemen," Nunamaker said in a statement to Fox 5 DC. "They simply had the best interests for our daughter's care in mind.”

Stafford County Fire and Rescue Department said in a statement to Fox 5 DC they are unable to comment on the situation, but a “regulatory compliance issue is under review by the Fire and Rescue Department and the Virginia Department of Health.”

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast