Rant

Thread: Rant

Unregistered

Rant

As contract negations get under way I cannot help to be irritated by the newspaper article Sgt. Cabera relayed to us summarizing the city’s position on several topics. First off, my heart goes out to the officers and their families in Dallas. The city of Coconut Creek has had a history of comparing its police officers to other members of the city work force which is a huge mistake. Dallas, Orlando, and California are some examples that separate our duties and what we may called upon to do from the average city employee. I am not diminishing what theses employees do or there respective contributions, I am simply saying our job description as police officers is like comparing apples to oranges.

Yes, it is true that we are paid well comparable to our counterparts in the surrounding jurisdictions, but you know what, we DAM well deserve it. Coconut Creek has some outstanding people who “don” the uniform daily to protect the citizenry and who take pride in service to those wonderful people. We deserve, like all police officers, to be compensated fairly and in some ways above and beyond due to the very nature of our job.

It is NOT UNREASONABLE to ask for top tier pay too include the best health insurance both while working and most important at retirement when the affects of this work are often revealed with poor health.

City officials, think carefully when you negotiate with us and show consideration for who we are and our special role in society. By the way, some other areas that piss me off are the mishandling of a career officer who had a heart attack in the line of duty who was forced to resign from the front desk - bullshit!! Another incident involving a career Captain who had heart issues and again the city refused to acknowledge his heart condition was job related until he retained an attorney. A police Officer recently who dove in a dirty canal to save someone he thought was trapped and again our risk manage DENIED him medical care. These actions are deplorable.

The city leadership may not have a grasp of the big picture so this is why I rant because the POLICE need a voice.

Unregistered
    Mean spirited, b.s. posts=1000 responses
    Relevant issue post= 0 responses

Unregistered

well said

Well said sir