Employment question - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Unregistered
    Thinking of applying as a CO. I am pre-certified. How is the jail there? What are the units like? Locked down or Direct Supervision? Is there any room for advancement?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thinking of applying as a CO. I am pre-certified. How is the jail there? What are the units like? Locked down or Direct Supervision? Is there any room for advancement?
    We used to have pay parity with the road, but the current sheriff lowered pay for CO's... and now CO's make less money than LEO's. Retirement through FRS is still good (the current sheriff cannot legally mess with that).

Unregistered
    CO here is a great place to move up in rank if you want to work inside, Ive done both. Hats off if you choose to stay inside. The Sheriff is actually promoting COs to captain and they can work out of the Corrections environment. First time in the agency history.

As for parity pay. Sorry I have to agree with the uppers on this. When I worked inside. I was exhausted from working and dealing with inmate games. but on the road you definitely use more of intellect to figure out what crime applies etc. Sorry its just facts. More liability there.. Anyway as you move up in rank so does your pay...So the opportunity is there. . Good luck.

Unregistered
    As for no parity pay. Sorry I have to agree with Sheriff Knight on this.
    You obviously didn't take a pay-cut from Tom Knight. So you're "ok" with Knight cutting pay for everyone else. lol

Thank you Mr. Knight for cutting our non-deserved pay. NOT!!!! lol

Unregistered
    You obviously didn't take a pay-cut from Tom Knight. So you're "ok" with Knight cutting pay for everyone else. lol

Thank you Mr. Knight for cutting our non-deserved pay. NOT!!!! lol
    Sarasota County commissioner Nancy Detert told Knight to trim a million dollars from the budget.

The easiest way to trim the budget is to:
    - Completely abandon a few security checkpoints in court facilities (even though Knight was paid for these positions).
    - Cut the pay of all non-supervisors (except for patrol, of course)

The hardest way to trim the budget is to:
    - Trim the pay of Knight's appointed henchmen, who are all making between 100,000k and 145,000k annually.
    - Reduce the incredible number of lieutenants, captains and majors in the command staff (they are tripping over themselves because there are so many of them).

In a nutshell:
    - We have too many command staff (lieutenants, captains, majors, etc.)
    - The pay of command staff is bloated

Even better:
    Publicly print the number of all Knight's staff members who are making over 100k annually!!!

(and then add up the cost to the budget)

Unregistered
    In a nutshell:
    - We have too many command staff (lieutenants, captains, majors, etc.)
    - The pay of command staff is bloated

Even better: Publicly print the number of all Knight's staff members who are making over 100k annually!!!
    (and then add up the cost to the budget)
    SPD command staff makes significantly less money than SSO command staff. You can make that comparison too. Then add up the numbers.

Unregistered
    SPD command staff makes significantly less money than SSO command staff. You can make that comparison too. Then add up the numbers.
    The non-supervisory line level between SSO and SPD are very close, but SSO staff makes gobs more money than SPD staff. No comparison! Knight promises and pays the rainbow to his political appointees/henchmen!

Unregistered
    The non-supervisory line level between SSO and SPD are very close, but SSO staff makes gobs more money than SPD staff. No comparison! Knight promises and pays the rainbow to his political appointees/henchmen!
    Not true. Both are similar.

Unregistered
    At the line level, SPD makes more than SSO -- but does SPD get social security at retirement?

At the staff level, SSO captains make a lot more than SPD captains.

Unregistered

Let me ask you this ...Have you seen the personnel here anymore? Notice you know no one. People are banging down the door to be part of this agency. The pay,The opportunity to advance. The opportunity to move freely throughout the agency to specialized units. You are definitely a thing of the past. This Sheriff is moving us to a new Head quarters,we've seen raises,promotions. How many do you actually see leaving for other agencies??? I bet you can count that on one hand.. Time for you to retire.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast