Reserve Deputy
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reserve Deputy

Unregistered

Question Reserve Deputy

What is your all's opinion on reserve deputies? I was thinking of becoming one with HCSO since I live in the county. I was born here, am currently 25, have always had an interest in becoming a LEO but when I graduated High School I went a different route. I am self employed and have a flexible schedule so I've been looking into the reserves. I've read mixed reviews regarding what full-time deputies think about the reserves. (Undermining actual paid deputies by volunteering, preventing new paid deputies from being hired on, etc).

Any input would be appreciated.

Unregistered
    I would go to tampa pd and be a reserve.They can work off duty details unlimited for like 40 an hour.Heres is nothing but a political game and your not a cop but more of a salesman handing out business cards and hugging babies.If you don't mind being a glorified security guard then apply to Hernando,if you want to be a real police officer with a real administration who actually did police work,go to Tampa P.D....union also for job protection.Here your appointed not hired!!!Sheriffs offices are highly political..Its who u know,not what u know

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I would go to tampa pd and be a reserve.They can work off duty details unlimited for like 40 an hour.Heres is nothing but a political game and your not a cop but more of a salesman handing out business cards and hugging babies.If you don't mind being a glorified security guard then apply to Hernando,if you want to be a real police officer with a real administration who actually did police work,go to Tampa P.D....union also for job protection.Here your appointed not hired!!!Sheriffs offices are highly political..Its who u know,not what u know
    I'm not so much interested in working off-duty details. But even if I was, wouldn't that be pretty ****ish as a reserve? I'd imagine if I was a full-time deputy and someone who is a reserve that volunteers 3-4 shifts per month starts trying to sign up for off-duty details I'd be pretty ticked. That is what I meant by deputies feeling undermined.

I'm not really interested in making money... as I'm sure that's what most reserves mindset is. My interest in being a LEO has always been there and I have the unique position where I make a good living with a flexible schedule.

As for TPD goes, I live in Hernando and don't plan on moving. I'm interested in being a reserve, but not one that drives an hour and paying gas to get there out of pocket. I already hate the idea of having to drive to an HCSO station to grab a car since reserves obviously do not get take-home car privileges. I feel like that would get old fast. lol

Unregistered
    Your better off being a security guard!!Same thing and at least you get paid.I would go be a reserve at tampa p.d.If you ever want to go fulltime,they have a real union that gives u real job security and way better benefits.A family health ins plan here is like $800 a month.At Tampa,Its like 250.It takes an act of god to get fired.Here a rumor can get u on the blackball list.

Unregistered
    Your better off being a security guard!!Same thing and at least you get paid.I would go be a reserve at tampa p.d.If you ever want to go fulltime,they have a real union that gives u real job security and way better benefits.A family health ins plan here is like $800 a month.At Tampa,Its like 250.It takes an act of god to get fired.Here a rumor can get u on the blackball list.

Thanks for the input. I do fine for a living, that is why I'm interested in becoming a reserve deputy. So being compensated is not something I'm terribly worried about. I've always had an interest in being a LEO and being that I am in the unique position in terms of flexibility in my schedule due to being self employed, I figured being a reserve was the route to go.

Do reserves just provide back-up mainly? Or are they proactive just like full-time deps by making traffic stops, responding to calls, etc.

-OP

Unregistered
    HC reserve program is a joke. It's run by an 85yr old man who can barely move, but yet gets the title of "LT" because of financial donations to the Sheriff. The current reserves constantly fight with the full-time deputies to **** them out of off-duty jobs, that their respective employer has paid for. One day when FDLE actually gives a crap and investigates Hernando County, maybe then it'll be worth your time.

Unregistered
    HC reserve program is a joke. It's run by an 85yr old man who can barely move, but yet gets the title of "LT" because of financial donations to the Sheriff. The current reserves constantly fight with the full-time deputies to **** them out of off-duty jobs, that their respective employer has paid for. One day when FDLE actually gives a crap and investigates Hernando County, maybe then it'll be worth your time.
    Amen,,, take home cars, Donate to the Sheriff and these knuckle heads get everything,, Sheriff Nuthouse and Staff of fools,,, they need to take care of their own before the volunteers,,, this place is a joke and needs some real leadership..and some of the F*€# Tards need to go..

Can I get a AMEN ..

Unregistered
    I appreciate the honesty, that is what I wanted. I had read general info online that the biggest issue with reserves was taking off-duty jobs from full-time deputies. I'd be pretty ticked off if I was full-time and someone who wasn't was trying to eat up all the OD details. Thankfully I wouldn't have any interest in off-duty paid details so that is a non-issue for me. I do fine financially and don't want to take away from someone else who may want or need it.

Amen,,, take home cars, Donate to the Sheriff and these knuckle heads get everything,, Sheriff Nuthouse and Staff of fools,,, they need to take care of their own before the volunteers,,, this place is a joke and needs some real leadership..and some of the F*€# Tards need to go..

Can I get a AMEN ..
    I'd agree that full-time should be taken care of before reserves. What is the issue you have with take-home vehicles and reserves though? Are they getting take home cars and some full-time deps are not? Or is it more of a gripe that some reserves are getting newer/nicer patrol cars to take home?

- OP

Unregistered

Do not listen to these old disgruntled deputies...

Do not listen to all these old disgruntled deputies. The only thing this agency needs is to get rid of the old, lazy, disgruntled deputies who have nothing better to do then come on here and complain.

First of all, the reserves DO NOT take all the off duty details. They are only allowed to sign up for 1 detail per month. If a detail is open un-restrictive, which means no on else has signed up for it and it is within a week, they can take those, that's all.

The LT. these clowns talk about have never gave a dime to the agency that I am aware of. He worked for a bank and has been a reserve for 30 + years without being paid a dime. He is a LT because the reserve/auxiliary unit is the biggest unit in the agency. He is a nice man and even though he is older, he still patrols and backs deputies on calls.

Lastly, the reserve deputies that I have been around are great guys. They work full time jobs and volunteer after work and on weekends. I for one, love to see the reserves take calls and back me up when no other deputies are available.

I know some of them have take home cars, but not sure if they all do. I would call the sheriff office and ask for the Lt of the reserve program. He can answer any questions you have.

Unregistered
    I appreciate the honesty, that is what I wanted. I had read general info online that the biggest issue with reserves was taking off-duty jobs from full-time deputies. I'd be pretty ticked off if I was full-time and someone who wasn't was trying to eat up all the OD details. Thankfully I wouldn't have any interest in off-duty paid details so that is a non-issue for me. I do fine financially and don't want to take away from someone else who may want or need it.

I'd agree that full-time should be taken care of before reserves. What is the issue you have with take-home vehicles and reserves though? Are they getting take home cars and some full-time deps are not? Or is it more of a gripe that some reserves are getting newer/nicer patrol cars to take home?

- OP
    The reserves get the old cars that are getting ready to go to auction. The accessories they put on the cars come from the "reserve fund". It is a fund that the companies reserves work for donate too "dollars for hours". The reason the cars look so good is the reserves take care of them. There is not a reserve car in the agency that has less than 150,000 miles. All the extra lights, push bumpers, etc.. does not come from the agency it is paid for by donations (reserve fund).

Like the poster above said, don't listen to the knuckle heads that continue to post negative comments on every subject.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast