Minimum Staffing -new contract PBA - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    How do 12 hour shifts work for people with kids? There is no good shift to be able to get your kids to/from School and other activities.

If both parents are home and the other parent isn't a LEO then it can sorta work. Even 4-10's create issues.

But hey, some mixture of 5-8s, 4-10s, and 12's might work. At least it would be harder for crooks to figure out our shift change times.
    A mixture of all shifts is a great but I doubt the county will do anything like that.

Unregistered
    A mixture of all shifts is a great but I doubt the county will do anything like that.
    5 - 8's work just fine.

How about we just have full 10-12 man squads?

THE PROBLEM IS THAT WE ARE SHORTHANDED. WE NEED MORE COPS ON THE ROAD.

Unregistered
    For everybody talking about shift length, maybe you can start a new thread. This thread is about minimum staffing. And putting it in the contract for MDPD.
    Requiring officers to stay over on overtime or calling in officers because a squad requires at least five on the road with a sergeant. Not the very common 2 cops working with 1 sergeant back in them up or something like that.
    Minimum staffing. Regardless of whether it is a 10 hour day, 8hour day, 12 hour day, whatever. It's about the minimum number of hours to keep officer safety intact and service provided to the citizens.

Unregistered
    send copies of commanders report to pba

Unregistered

Contract has no safety in it

While the contract negotiations are now supposed to go to ratification by vote, I see one big missing issue. The proposals are all related to money and insurance. Money is great. Benefits in our package is great. Nothing related to safety.
    But our union needs to fight like the fire union. PBA needs to start demanding some safety related issues in our contact. Us cops need to have a set minimum amount of people working every shift, every district, AT ALL TIMES!!

MINIMUM STAFFING JUST LIKE THE FIRE DEPARTMENT HAS

JUST LIKE MIAMI HAS
    JUST LIKE MIAMI BEACH HAS
    JUST LIKE NORTH MIAMI HAS
    JUST LIKE NORTH MIAMI BEACH HAS
    JUST LIKE AVENTURA HAS
    AND ON AND ON AND ON

members, call the PBA and tell them to fight for a minimum in our contact

All the money and benefits in the world makes no difference when you're dead cause you had no backup.

Unregistered
    I would love to see this

Unregistered
    Doral, Miami Gardens, Sunny isles, Surfside, Key Biscayne, Hollywood, Coconut Creek, Miramar, Sunrise, Seminole, BSO (certain districts), Monroe Sheriff, Collier Sheriff, Lee Sheriff, and many more like the 12 hour shifts. I worked that schedule many years ago and a three-day weekend, every other weekend sounds awesome to spend with the family. I really wish we could have that option.
    I retired from one of the named agencies that works a 4 on 4 off schedule. Other than being extremely tired about 6 hours into your 4th day it is great. A mini vacation every week. It does take its toll on you though. Prior to the 4/4's we worked a 4/3 which is also great. Anything is better than a 5/8 with only two short days off.
    Your Mayor nor your administration is going to fight for something that benefits you. Clearly your agency is considered the red headed step child. Your administration are merely puppets for the Mayor.

Unregistered
    I retired from one of the named agencies that works a 4 on 4 off schedule. Other than being extremely tired about 6 hours into your 4th day it is great. A mini vacation every week. It does take its toll on you though. Prior to the 4/4's we worked a 4/3 which is also great. Anything is better than a 5/8 with only two short days off.
    Your Mayor nor your administration is going to fight for something that benefits you. Clearly your agency is considered the red headed step child. Your administration are merely puppets for the Mayor.

Indeed, anything else other than the 5/8's is better.

Unregistered
    Doesn't everyone find it ironic that we talk about the PBA constantly to implement this minimum staffing rule, yet no one has mentioned your Director??? It must be sad that your own agency doesn't even recognize him as a authority that would represent its own officers. Anyone left at that place who would?

Unregistered

Needed at MIA, the port, the districts

What if the airport had a contract?
    The officers should unionize and demand minimum number of cops to work at a time. The district officers should do the same thing.
    There were tons of cops at Fort Lauderdale when the shooting happened there.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast