Minimum Staffing -new contract PBA - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    You are right in that officers would be held over or called in early and that the overtime would explode. However, officers would immediately have adequate backup and calls would not hold as long. The county would not be at liberty to try and "save money" at the expense of public safety. *Less officers would mean more required overtime. *So minimum staffing would set the baseline.

The solution though, is not made more simple with "sound management and resolute leadership." Although I agree that these two facets are necessary, having them does not rise to the level of being a solution to the lack of officers patrolling for the simple reason that there just are not enough officers. Period. *There is no way around this. *I read one person's post that said "careful what you wish for." *I can't help but believe its the mayor, or a criminal who is afraid of police presence. *Yes, I would wish for minimum staffing, for police officer safety, the security of residents, and to establish the baseline that can never be gone under. *The key word here is "MINIMUM." *The guiding principal is that anything less than the established minimum number is simply too little to do the job properly, to do the job safely. *

How can anyone stare logic in the face and call it stupid? *Think about this, Dade County has been losing large areas to incorporation and annexation since Key Biscayne incorporated in 1992. No city, not even Opa Locka, has folded and gone back to the county. *And if you go ask the "founding fathers" of each city, (Aventura, Sunny Isles, Doral, Palmetto Bay, Cutler Bay, etc etc) the MAIN reason for leaving the county - it is almost always due to poor police service. *With the exception of Key Biscayne - NONE of them have started their own fire departments - they use county fire (which has minimum staffing) and they throw MDPD out the door. *In the case of Miami Gardens/Palmetto Bay/Cutler Bay, they contract MDPD.... AND PUT MINIMUM STAFFING IN THE CONTRACT! *If you don't believe minimum staffing is absolutely logical and necessary, then ask yourself why these areas incorporated and started their own PDs.

So the solution is simple. *More officers are necessary in MDPD. *A minimum number working, AT ALL TIMES, per given area/district/square mile. *The union would have to push for it. *Commissioners would need to be pressured by voters to make it an issue. *Here's a thought/suggestion for the union... take out ads, buy billboard space along 826, 836, give press conferences, letting people know that MDPD has been operating for decades with a football team of 4 on the field. *Let them know how many brown gowns are driving around their neighborhoods during the day, and show them comparative numbers to other more adequately staffed cities. *Let them know their county commissioners phone number. *Get the ball rolling and don't stop rolling it. *And maybe one day if minimum staffing ever makes it onto the contract, the day will come when the fight and time it took to get done will be long forgotten, and the new normal will be patrolling your area with a properly staffed squad. *

Maybe I just never want to accept the complacency and despair that consumes so many in Miami-Dade government. *Look!... there goes another city incorporation...

What's your opinion on two officers per car?

Unregistered

Quality Backup

I believe they are literally 'passing' any living breathing body that comes through the academy, since budgeting is so tight and we need more guys on the road desperately.

This does lead to the most backup that can be provided, however quality of backup could be a concern.

Anyone else hear or notice recruits at academy just passing everything, no one getting kicked out or failing etc... ?

Unregistered
    I believe they are literally 'passing' any living breathing body that comes through the academy, since budgeting is so tight and we need more guys on the road desperately.

This does lead to the most backup that can be provided, however quality of backup could be a concern.

Anyone else hear or notice recruits at academy just passing everything, no one getting kicked out or failing etc... ?
    I was shocked and surprised to find out my friend passed the academy. That person is as dumb as a rock. Actually, my friend barely passed college without being caught plagiarizing a homework assignment lmao! I found out by someone else that every exam in the academy is open book except of course the state exam. My friend one time showed me a list of all the grades trying to look smart and they were all 90's... seriously I was like this has to be the easiest academy on earth! When I asked my friend if they can finally run 3 miles? Answer was, hell no! lmao! Is the academy that easy?

I think it is. When you have someone in the academy out partying and clubbing every weekend, posting pictures on social media, and eating junk food... that clearly shows the academy is not as hard as people put it to be, at least at MDPD.

Unregistered
    I was shocked and surprised to find out my friend passed the academy. That person is as dumb as a rock. Actually, my friend barely passed college without being caught plagiarizing a homework assignment lmao! I found out by someone else that every exam in the academy is open book except of course the state exam. My friend one time showed me a list of all the grades trying to look smart and they were all 90's... seriously I was like this has to be the easiest academy on earth! When I asked my friend if they can finally run 3 miles? Answer was, hell no! lmao! Is the academy that easy?

I think it is. When you have someone in the academy out partying and clubbing every weekend, posting pictures on social media, and eating junk food... that clearly shows the academy is not as hard as people put it to be, at least at MDPD.

Was it a crediable viable source from which you were told academy tests were 'open book'?

Unregistered

To Mr John Rivera and Mr Stahl

To the info@pba email
    Can you send out a email to all officers about the new contract talks? You recently asked for input. Will officer safety be a talking point in the contract negotiations this year? Can this minimum staffing be made possible? What are the big issues that the PBA plans to bring up?
    Thank you.

Unregistered

Here is an issue that is important

Date: Wed 2017-07-19 16:13
    To: (MDPD) Sworn Personnel;
    (MDPD) PBA Non-Sworn Bargaining Unit;

Your input is important to us!

As we near contract negotiation sessions with the county, we would like to hear your thoughts. Besides the obvious of wage increases, realistically, what issues could make your working conditions better? We want to hear from you.

Please forward your ideas to Blanca@dcpba.org or john@dcpba.org

Unregistered

As we near contract negotiation sessions with the county, we would like to hear your thoughts. Besides the obvious of wage increases, realistically, what issues could make your working conditions better? We want to hear from you.

How about representing us when we need it instead of "forward me the paperwork". Or here's an idea, get attorneys that actual like their job not like Simon. Take it back old school and have one rep in each station so officers can ask questions and representation on DAS. Better health insurance sounds good! You know the important stuff not the softball game, cigar function, fundraiser bullshit

Unregistered

I think every squad should always have at least five officers working and a sergeant. No borrowing from other districts anymore. And no more acting sergeant instead have a sergeant work comp or overtime if one is off.

Unregistered

How is it that the agency is still processing applicants who applied on February 2015? When will they start calling the 2016 applicants? It's almost 2018 and we aren't getting any younger.

Unregistered

This is interesting. Like someone called out the PBA but no one answered. So what is the union fighting for this time?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast