Medal of Valor for Deputy John Robert Kotfila
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Medal of Valor for Deputy John Robert Kotfila

Sheriff Gee and Chief Docobo, please nominate Deputy John Kotfila for the National Law Enforcement Officer Medal of Valor. I realize those actions may already be underway, however, as a way of expressing respect for his valor, I wanted to post something here.

https://www.bja.gov/programs/medalofvalor/index.html

From the website:
    "Every day, public safety officers risk their lives to protect America’s citizens and communities. To honor that commitment, Congress passed The Public Safety Officer Medal of Valor Act of 2001, which created the Public Safety Officer Medal of Valor, the highest national award for valor by a public safety officer. The medal is awarded annually by the President to public safety officers who have exhibited exceptional courage, regardless of personal safety, in the attempt to save or protect human life.
    Medal of Valor

A “public safety officer” is a person (living or deceased) who is serving or has served in a public agency, with or without compensation, as a firefighter; law enforcement officer, including a corrections, court, or civil defense officer; or emergency services officer, as determined by the U.S. Attorney General.

An act of valor is defined as:
    Above and beyond the call of duty; and
    Exhibiting
    Exceptional courage, extraordinary decisiveness and presence of mind.
    Unusual swiftness of action, regardless of his or her personal safety, in an attempt to save or protect human life.

Nominating Someone to Receive the Medal of Valor

To receive the Medal of Valor, public safety officers must be nominated by the chief executive officer of their employing agencies, recommended by the bipartisan Medal of Valor Review Board, and cited by the Attorney General. PLEASE NOTE: The background of Medal of Valor nominees may be reviewed as part of the selection process.

The Attorney General designated OJP's Assistant Attorney General to serve as the Federal point of contact for the Medal of Valor initiative. OJP’s Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA) assists in overseeing the Medal of Valor Initiative.

Nominations must be submitted through the online Medal of Valor Application System."

Based on the eyewitness account of Ms. Geren, as described in the media, and what she states that Deputy Kotfila's selfless actions did for her and her passenger decisively at the last moment prior to impact, there is no doubt that Deputy Kotfila has earned nomination, at least in my mind, for this Medal of Valor. I do hope this National Medal of Valor is awarded in addition to what Deputy Kotfila has earned from the State of Florida and our own Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office Medal of Valor.

I am extremely humbled and very proud to have known Deputy John Kotfila. His actions represent the very finest of what it means to be a law enforcement officer. John has fulfilled his Oath and fought the good fight. We will Honor him on Friday, and most importantly, Never Forget.

May you Rest in Peace

Unregistered
    The administration will NEVER acknowledge this post, on THIS website.

Unregistered

No Acknowledgement Expected or Necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The administration will NEVER acknowledge this post, on THIS website.
    No one expects the administration to acknowledge anything here, however, we all know they have designated persons who regularly review this website. I am sure the information was passed along, and more importantly, the administration has been reviewing and already discussing these awards. Otherwise, the administration would have never allowed the press conference that occurred with Ms. Geren. Deputy Kotfila's name is already memorialized and etched in stone on the HCSO Memorial. These posthumous awards will only further crystallize his legacy. RIP Brother John

Unregistered
    Moderator, with respect for John, please delete the second post and mine. This thread is about John and should not be allowed to deteriorate to another topic.

Unregistered
    """we all know they have designated persons who regularly review this website"""

REALLY?
    They designate them and what? They report and review at a certain time and place?

Unregistered
    Moderator, with respect for John, please delete the second post and mine. This thread is about John and should not be allowed to deteriorate to another topic.
    This thread is in NO WAY, a violation of terms. You may not like it, but welcome to America Amigo.

Unregistered
    What cracks me up is that you would want a post deleted on a website that David Gee fought to take down. One in which, Chip spend thousands of dollars to defend your anonymity.

Unregistered
    I like the site and appreciate the job Chip did fighting to keep it up. I am merely suggesting that poster honor a deputy's memorial and not cloud it with an argument about the administration. If you don't have an ounce of respect for a fallen hero, I guess there isn't much I can do to change that. Again, rest in peace John. Your colleagues will miss you! Thank you for your friendship and for your dedication to our profession. You were a good man and a good coo!

Unregistered
    A good cop!

Unregistered
    With respect to the deputy, do you really think that he saw the wrong way driver coming at him and swerved to run head on with him. I think not and we should not portray that image. He was probably doing exactly what all deputies were doing and looking at his computer when he was struck. If he saw that car coming at him, which he probably didn't since the news said the lights were off, he would do anything other than hit it head on. Please stop disrespecting his memory by portraying that story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast