Why Does The Florida Legislature Hate Us?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unregistered

Why Does The Florida Legislature Hate Us?

This is a serious question and I would like to see other's opinions about why they think the Florida legislature rarely does anything positive for us. They clearly do not care for FHP or any of the other SLEO's either.

Twenty years ago the legislature didn't like us. It's an entirely different group in there now and they still don't like us. Is it something that is passed down from law maker to law maker? How can a group of people ignore us year after year after year? Why do other states take good care of their state law enforcement but Florida continues to pay the lowest in the country (or close too it) despite the fact that we are now the third most populated state, and lets face it, the cost of living is by no means low here any more.

I could go along with the argument that we are a highway patrol and not a full service state police organization like they have in the northeast. But how can Texas pay so well ($107,000 with 20 years on), North Carolina ($57,000), Iowa $56,700) or Ohio ($66,500).

So does anyone actually have any ideas as to why we are the most poorly treated state law enforcement agency in the country?

Unregistered
    Honestly, it's because the state is ran like a business. When you run a business you want to make a profit. FHP and other Stare Leo's don't make any money for the state. However, cutting taxes to attract retirees from up north and big businesses to move here, make money for the state.

Also, when you look at the grand scheme of things, FHP ,99% of the time does work that can be completed by a civilian making $10.00hr. As many counties were doing and some are still practicing it, they have civilian volunteers or employees respond to traffic crashes, issue violations and complete the traffic report. These units then have deputies respond to make an arrest or conduct other business that requires sworn law enforcement. That's why everytime we say "call the sheriffs department" when there is a fight or disturbance or we allow these departments to make arrest on our crash scenes or other cases we are effectively "giving our jobs away"

FHP is not required by the State Constitution like FWC. That means we are expendable. You add this above information with the fact we have tons of applicants streaming in to do this job for the pay that we offer, there's no incentive to pay more.

Last, when you average out our pay with the other "sheriffs" not city PDs, you will see that we make about average. Our pay is really an issue when you get to the center and southern portion of the state.

With all this being taken into consideration by our law makers, there's no reason to give us pay raises. There's more reason to move our current funding to supplement other agencies and reduce liability on the state.

Hope this helps to bring things into a bigger perspective, good luck and stay safe.

Unregistered
    While I agree with your well written and thoughtful reply, it still doesn't answer the question of why other states take care of their Troopers and Florida does not. Highway Patrols in other states have the same mission and function as ours for the most part. If we could be replaced by civilians making ten dollars an hour then so could other state HPs. But they are paid well and we aren't. And no, we are not a constitutional organization like FWC, but that isn't helping FWC get raises. What is the difference between Florida's legislature and the legislatures of the other states when it comes to their feelings on law enforcement?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Honestly, it's because the state is ran like a business. When you run a business you want to make a profit. FHP and other Stare Leo's don't make any money for the state. However, cutting taxes to attract retirees from up north and big businesses to move here, make money for the state.

Also, when you look at the grand scheme of things, FHP ,99% of the time does work that can be completed by a civilian making $10.00hr. As many counties were doing and some are still practicing it, they have civilian volunteers or employees respond to traffic crashes, issue violations and complete the traffic report. These units then have deputies respond to make an arrest or conduct other business that requires sworn law enforcement. That's why everytime we say "call the sheriffs department" when there is a fight or disturbance or we allow these departments to make arrest on our crash scenes or other cases we are effectively "giving our jobs away"

FHP is not required by the State Constitution like FWC. That means we are expendable. You add this above information with the fact we have tons of applicants streaming in to do this job for the pay that we offer, there's no incentive to pay more.

Last, when you average out our pay with the other "sheriffs" not city PDs, you will see that we make about average. Our pay is really an issue when you get to the center and southern portion of the state.

With all this being taken into consideration by our law makers, there's no reason to give us pay raises. There's more reason to move our current funding to supplement other agencies and reduce liability on the state.

Hope this helps to bring things into a bigger perspective, good luck and stay safe.
    Go away deputy! Your analogy sucks!

Unregistered
    IMO it's because the state government, for some reason, doesn't care about the safety of the roadways. How can you have a state like Florida, with a MILLION people MOVING HERE a year (without even counting ALL THE VISITORS)............ and we have less troopers than we had in the '70's????? If you don't think there is a problem, take a long trip on I 95 in Florida and this is what you will see, GUARANTEED: CRAZY, RECKLESS DRIVERS, AND NOBODY DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

Unregistered
    Several years ago a Senator, who ended up being Senate President, in an open meeting recommended doing away with FHP and said he could get to Tallahassee faster. After he was term limited out, his district was changed as a result of reapportionment and now he is not only back in the Senate but Budget chair.

When you write chicke$hit cases or load people up with multiple citations, you don't win support. I will say this, Oklahoma is looking to layoff troopers NC may too. Times are changing!

Unregistered
    I agree with all of the above posters, and all make very valid points. I would also like to add, Florida is primarily controlled by Republicans, and the Republicans in the legislature feel as if they are going to keep getting out vote with or without a raise. State law enforcement has been very much divided, and the legislature wants to keep it that way. If they can keep us divided, they get several small voices in lieu of one loud voice. The PBA puts on a good show, but in the end they keep taking our $37.00 every month and haven't produced very much. The only positive I will say, under this Governor, the fact our retirement contributions have not increased is very shocking.

All state employees, not just law enforcement need to reach out to their local representatives and be heard. For what it's worth, the state representatives will be on the ballot this year. I contacted my representative to express my concern and Denise Grimsley did not even reply. We have been screwed by politicians from both parties. When Governor Scott leaves office, it will make 20 consecutive years of Republican control. Though Democrats have screwed us too, but I think it's time we give the other party a chance to make it right.

Democratic Governor Lawton Chiles took away the step plan

Republican Governor Jeb Bush changed the high risk retirement from 2% to 3% and made it retroactive

Republican Governor Rick Scott took money from our paycheck to "fund our pension" but the money is going to the state general revenue fund. If a private company did this, it would be called a felony, when the government does it they just call it politics.

Thank you everyone for keeping it professional thus far.

Unregistered
    It's really quite simple . . .we're no longer needed. Why do we have such duplication of effort. . . why? Look at our own management . . . why does everyone who works in Tally drive a state car? Why? If they wanted to work SOAR they could go to a motor pool and check out a car. Why should we as tax payers subsidize someone to drive a $30 - $45,000 patrol vehicle to work and back home? Why does our management need take home vehicle's? Why? So they can drive to work and back? Joe six pack doesn't get a company car to drive back and forth to work. This is a waste of money and exposes all of us to unnecessary liability. What can we do that a Sheriff's Office doesn't do? What? Yes if the patrol was to disband or go away we could take all of our manpower positions and assets and transfer those costs with funding to the county SO. Law enforcement must be closer to the people we protect. Think about the cost of insurance the state pays for each Trooper who works for the state. Think about a Trooper with an unemployed wife and two kids who now qualifies for a SNAP (welfare) card. Nothing could scream louder to disband the agency than that. It is a reflection of the times we live in. Look at all of the political corruption which permeates our agency! I'll go now and sit back and watch all of those people who live in glass houses throw stones at my response but in the end sit down and look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself . . . Does the State of Florida really need a "Highway Patrol"? My conclusion is that we do not. Be safe out there my brothers and sisters.

Unregistered
    Stone number 1 coming at ya! We can why we need any law enforcement agency. Why not just have a police state and allow the SO to be the man? Why not go metro and let let the PD to be the man? You're either stupid or a POS. PROBABLY BOTH!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Stone number 1 coming at ya! We can why we need any law enforcement agency. Why not just have a police state and allow the SO to be the man? Why not go metro and let let the PD to be the man? You're either stupid or a POS. PROBABLY BOTH!
    Like I always say . . ."Takes one . . .to know one". If you've ever been to Virginia instead of sitting on your porch playing your banjo and squealing like a little pig you'd know they have . . ."County Police". But then you're probably to much of a "hick" to think outside the box. You sound like your FHP welfare check was a few days late!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast