Transparency.. enforceable right
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Transparency.. enforceable right

A Public Policy of Open Government

INTRODUCTION

upon learning that the delegates to the Constitutional Convention had begun the proceedings by adopting a secrecy requirement, Thomas Jefferson decried their decision as an “abominable precedent” and added: “nothing can justify this example but the innocence of their intentions, and ignorance of the value of public discussions.” Florida’s constitution and laws unambiguously reflect the open government philosophy underlying Jefferson’s comments.

in our state, transparency is not up to the whim or grace of public officials. instead, it is an enforceable right of the people.

The benefits of open government are frequently acknowledged---transparency promotes accountability, aids the search for truth, and fosters consistency and fairness in governmental decision making. Fortunately, though, Florida’s laws do not require that open government be justified by reference to these desirable consequences. We live in a state that values open government for its own sake, and for that we should all be thankful. This year’s edition of the government in the sunshine manual incorporates laws, judicial decisions, and attorney general opinions in place as of october 2014. additional information about Florida’s sunshine laws, including answers to frequently asked questions, is available through the office of attorney general’s internet homepage, which may be reached at www. myfloridalegal.com. suggestions from those who use this manual are welcome and appreciated. Please forward comments to: office of the attorney general, The Capitol, Pl-01, tallahassee, Florida 32399.

Pam Bondi Attorney General

http://myfloridalegal.com/webfiles.nsf/WF/RMAS-9UPM53/$file/2015SunshineLawManual.pdf

To whom it may concern,

I will not be partaking in the games of slow walking my record requests. I will not stand for it. The request that we are pretending to be looking at is the same information that has already been provided to me for the past two years. Likewise, my request for Arsenault's evals should have already been produced or responded to that he was exempt from evaluations and there are none to be produced.

We all know the request that you have issue with is the request for Lewis's daily, weekly, and monthly evaluations done on Vespia for 2014 - 2015. You want to review whether that is a fair request.. to ensure the City responds correctly... fine. Get your words picked carefully but in the meantime, release the hold on my other record requests that are not questionable.

Thank you

For any interested, next Saturday the Fort Myers League of Voters is holding a Public Forum:

The League of Women Voters of Lee County FL and
    The News-Press Media Group
    present

Open Government & YOU: A Public Forum

March 12, 2016
    1:00: Welcome: Stasia Arcarese, Vice-President, League of Women Voters of Lee County; Michael Jung, Publisher, The News-Press Media Group
    Keynote: ”You Can Never Get Enough Sunshine”
    Barbara Petersen, President, First Amendment Foundation
    1:30 - 2:30 Panel: Shutting the Door on Open Government: How Open Government Laws are Being Narrowed
    Moderator, Barbara Petersen, President, First Amendment Foundation

• High Fees for Access – Speaker: Gina Edwards, CEO, WatchdogCity.com
    • Exemptions Creep – Speaker: Mark R. Caramanica, Esq. , Thomas & LoCicero
    • Privacy v. Accountability – Speaker: Michael Barfield, Vice-President, ACLU-F

2:30 – 2:45 Break
    2:45 – 3:45 Panel: An Informed Media = An Informed Community
    Moderator, Dr. Jeffrey Riley, Department of Journalism, Florida Gulf Coast University

• Speaker: Cindy McCurry Ross – Executive Editor, The News-Press
    • Speaker: Russ Kilgore – News Director, WINK-TV
    • Speaker: Amy Tardif –News Director, WGCU-FM

3;45 – 5:00 Panel: When You Don't Know: The Impact of Sunshine Laws
    Moderator, Tom Hayden, Senior Engagement Editor, The News-Press

• Costs to Taxpayers: Litigation as an Enforcement Mechanism
      • Speaker: Kenneth Weiss, Esq.

• Open Government When It Works:
      • Speaker: Katy Errington, Councilmember, The Villages of Estero

• Government Decision-Making in Secret:
      • A Citizen's PerspectiveSpeaker: Wayne Daltry, Activist

5:00 Closing Remarks: Clara Anne Graham, President, League of Women Voters of Lee County

http://www.lwvlee.org/opengov.html

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    To whom it may concern,

I will not be partaking in the games of slow walking my record requests. I will not stand for it. The request that we are pretending to be looking at is the same information that has already been provided to me for the past two years. Likewise, my request for Arsenault's evals should have already been produced or responded to that he was exempt from evaluations and there are none to be produced.

We all know the request that you have issue with is the request for Lewis's daily, weekly, and monthly evaluations done on Vespia for 2014 - 2015. You want to review whether that is a fair request.. to ensure the City responds correctly... fine. Get your words picked carefully but in the meantime, release the hold on my other record requests that are not questionable.

Thank you
    They are all going to be exceptional. They can't have admin getting poor evaluations.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    They are all going to be exceptional. They can't have admin getting poor evaluations.
    You are probably right, then there should be NO holdup, they should say the evals don't exist, right?

The interim Vespia evaluations are more problematic for them as I learned about them directly from Lewis's response to me regarding Vespia's annual review. They either exist or they do not. If they don't exist, say so. If do exist, then let the sun shine in. This request went to them on January 16... better than 6 weeks ago. Am I being impatient? I don't think so. Does anyone here really think I am going rollover and not raise hell..?

Interesting when I requested to meet with the City Attorney last fall, he was clear that there was little he could do for me as he represents the City. Made sense, so I didn't put him in the awkward spot. Well if he represents the City, and NOT the City Manager, then the records should be produced period.

I wish I didn't smell a rat.. if someone can help me avoid thinking that once I started poking into Lewis, all my requests were suddenly not being responded to is more than a coincidence, please share. I am having trouble giving any of em the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Sad.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    You are probably right, then there should be NO holdup, they should say the evals don't exist, right?

The interim Vespia evaluations are more problematic for them as I learned about them directly from Lewis's response to me regarding Vespia's annual review. They either exist or they do not. If they don't exist, say so. If do exist, then let the sun shine in. This request went to them on January 16... better than 6 weeks ago. Am I being impatient? I don't think so. Does anyone here really think I am going rollover and not raise hell..?

Interesting when I requested to meet with the City Attorney last fall, he was clear that there was little he could do for me as he represents the City. Made sense, so I didn't put him in the awkward spot. Well if he represents the City, and NOT the City Manager, then the records should be produced period.

I wish I didn't smell a rat.. if someone can help me avoid thinking that once I started poking into Lewis, all my requests were suddenly not being responded to is more than a coincidence, please share. I am having trouble giving any of em the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Sad.
    Admin does not get evaluations. That way there is no documentation of their misdeeds. you should look at your favorite ex lieutenant's past evaluations. He was on a performance I provement plan, pull that.

UhhhHmm favorite.. ?

Are you suggesting that LIEutenant Arsenault was on a Performance Improvement plan and subsequently offered a Commander role? I don't know how one can be on a PIP if they are not being reviewed.. The request has already been entered, they have yet to fulfill the request.. but they will.

Unregistered
    Wait till you see his 'he not be', yes he wrote that, and other awesomeness and my zone partner gave me a copy of it!!!! I pull it out when I need a good laugh, or anytime after I hear him talk at roll-call. I swear it's still as funny as it was the first time it was shown to me!!!! And this is a college educated man!!! Probably the most incompetent person I have ever met, in ANY walk of life. Makes you wonder why Danny Rush never rolled over on him for sleeping on duty when Danny got his assed hemmed up.

Admin wanted a yes-man at our expense. KV know hows much he lies, Morales knows and Eubelacker 'Mr Ethics', ha, knows. My favorite Arsenault-ism: 'I always walk around with papers in my hand so they think I'm busy.'. And oh boy, does Admin ever think he is!

When?

Do you have a general idea of the timeframe of Arsenault's PIP?

Thanks for the tip

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast