Transparency.. enforceable right - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

SOPs cd cost nearly $30.00..

I dont know what the recordkeeoing system is at NPPD but we need to do better than what we currently have. When it costs the taxpayer nearly $30.00 to have a cd created of the department SOPs, we have a problem. This task should be as simple as selecting the pdf documents and dragging then to a cd. I dont care how archaic the system is.. i KNOW that cd has been requested repeatedly from the press and media so should be readily available.

Why dont we simply put them online and save EVERYONE the time and aggravation?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    I dont know what the recordkeeoing system is at NPPD but we need to do better than what we currently have. When it costs the taxpayer nearly $30.00 to have a cd created of the department SOPs, we have a problem. This task should be as simple as selecting the pdf documents and dragging then to a cd. I dont care how archaic the system is.. i KNOW that cd has been requested repeatedly from the press and media so should be readily available.

Why dont we simply put them online and save EVERYONE the time and aggravation?
    You can't have a cd ready for anything because we change our policies every week and have been doing so for what 9 or 10 years. It is bad enough we write a policy for everything,but to change them almost weekly is out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    You can't have a cd ready for anything because we change our policies every week and have been doing so for what 9 or 10 years. It is bad enough we write a policy for everything,but to change them almost weekly is out of control.
    That may be true.. then they simply update the newer version on the webiste. It really isnt rocket science.. all the PR hoopla phone apps.. wouldnt the ROI had been much greater on working out the Public Record process to save everyone the hassle?

Post A Better Community Direction for Public Records

I have a upcoming meeting with a Commissioner to discuss a comprehensive apprroach to improving the public record requests process as a step towards Transparency and Accountability goals.. I think there is ample opportunity to improve the current process that will better serve the public and alleviate the workload on staff. If we are committed to doing it right, we need to fully determine what it is we need and what is financially feasible but we could start with a committment to look at how we can head a better direction.

Some of the items i have on my wish list include:

1. Integrated web-based workflow and document management application with Public UI atop of all city document databases with an interface to the underlying relevant databases, including city email, web servers, city policy documents, all previously fulfilled record requests, etc.

2.. On line Record Request workflow application whereas public memeber can submit and monitor the Public Record Requests logs for status.

3. Public page to comminucate status and timeliness tracking of all record requests.

The system described in this Broward County case study is directed to a different goal. In their case, they were looking at improving communications across agencies through a SunGuard product. I understand we have simialr system funtionality and using the same methods to improve communications with the public. We

We can certainly let the public have the ability to self serve selecting records in the same way diffeent agenciees can access it in the Broward County case study. Sensitive fields can be auto redacted. For example, i want to pull a use of force report involving a minor or baker act. System can simply black out the sensitive fields as flagged as such in the database. If a document is too sensitive, the system does not supply that record on the web butt instead provides the ability to quickly enter a request to the City Clerk. The Clerk is relieved of all the request tracking tasks. Additionally, we add report options so if i want to create reports on the data available I should be able to do so. Example, I want to see all the baker act or sig20 calls over a given period. I should be able to do so. This again is a win-win for all parties.

https://www.sungard.com/~/media/publ...aboration.ashx

Unregistered
    sounds good

It is a fundamental right..

In a 1765 treatise, Founding Father John Adams wrote,
    Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people, who have a right … to that most dreaded and envied kind of knowledge, I mean, of the character and conduct of their rulers.”

Transparency at all levels of government, from the White House to the smallest town hall in America, is the cornerstone of our most treasured freedoms. With a few notable exceptions centered on safety and national security, the people have a right to know how those who govern or hold other forms of power over them, including law enforcement, make decisions.

https://torringtontelegram.com/artic...-intent-of-law

Unregistered
    rules are only made for people that have to follow them. The warriors make their own rules on the streets and behind a desk. ngh

dats what they said...

but it did happen. It may have taken wasting a week of back n forth, wasting too much staff time.. a 10 min task.. pissing all the time and effort away.. trying to frustrsate and shade it.. but it made it to CityHall and then the 4 dates were provided. <thank you City Hall> I couldnt understand why they wouldnt simply share such inocuoous info.. how can one have a log without a logged date is beyond me. Could it be they wanted to prevent exposing the age of the open IAs?

Oh i see.. NPPPD policy and FSS says they should be completed in 45 days.. #oops.. it is a consistent pattern.. again and again. In the last 3 or 4 months alone... they are still trying to fix the fouled Captain hiring process, dealing with SU lawsuit.. and now IAs that go unsigned for months on KV desk.

Each of these three issues fall directly in the Chief's lap. He should follow policy and state law or turn in his badge.. either willingly or with City Hall insistence.

For too long 'ngh' was the case but the days of getting away with it are over...
    Last edited by Stephanie Gibson; 07-02-2017 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo

Unregistered
    Why does it take so long to get reports from the NPPD? Is the record keeping that bad? Seems as though they are using computers to write reports in today's technology age why is this such a tough process? Is it a privacy thing?

Piss or get off the pot

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why does it take so long to get reports from the NPPD? Is the record keeping that bad? Seems as though they are using computers to write reports in today's technology age why is this such a tough process? Is it a privacy thing?
    I cant speak to the record keeping internally, I just dont know. The records staff is not the probem. I also know the taxpayer dollars have provided them software that manages the IA process, yet what they share is a simple excel file? What purpose, why not use the system as it was intended? Why have a log file without a log date? Why fight so hard and simply add the ommitted column, keep it going forward, problem solved. However, this admin cant simply say oops, add the needed column. Why? Without said date, noone would see that he was out of compliance with NPPD policy and FSS. Convenient. He is nearly triple the time limits on one and double the time limits on the other. Neither are maked as tolled so noncriminal offenses. No indication that they are supended with or without pay.

The Chief makes $140K to make the tough decisions. He needs to piss or get off the pot. I dont know the offenders or the specific accusations but I know whoever, they do not deserve to be left with the IA looming over them for months on end. If there are valid reasons why then tell us why? It is not an unreasonable ask.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast