Time for a change - Page 235
Page 235 of 264 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 2631

Unregistered
    I don't think Pelfrey is lying. What you may not know is that natural disaster pay is at a different rate than standard OT, and that's across the board in most LE. If you figure 94 employees working anywhere from 72-144 hours in a row it can get pretty wild. I dunno if that helps.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Hanks on the State of NPPD

From: Christopher Hanks[mailto:chanks@cityofnorthport.com]
    Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 1:37 PM
    To: City Watch North Port Fl <CityWatchNorthPortFL@outlook.com>
    Subject: RE: State of NPPD

Thank you Stephaniefor your email and I do appreciate your stance in what you see as an injustice. In the research I have done and the interviews I have done, I don’t seethe same things you claim. One of the biggest hindrances I have, is I amvery limited into who I can talk to, not just because of the position butbecause of the anonymity of the complainants. The only person complainingto me, is you.

You called me about8 months ago and asked if I would take a call from a police officer, and I saidI would. We even worked out a way that it would remain anonymous. Well, I am still waiting on that phone call. Nobody, except you hasreached out to me concerning anything with the police department.

I understand thatmany of them are concerned for their jobs, but I honestly don’t understand thefear that they carry from it. I know that they have family to feed, but Ican relate on the risks I have taken for my business that has put my family andthe food in their stomachs at risk. I have put us in a position to be undera bridge if those business decisions didn’t work out. Heck, we moved toFlorida because we lost everything in a business decision that didn’t mix wellwith the housing bubble burst. I also don’t fully understand how a policeofficer can be willing to die in the line of duty and protect justice, but beso afraid to stand up to it within their ranks. I have never, and maybeit is my personality, been afraid of these things as I know that I will alwayswork to be on top and my family will never do without as long as I am alive. Please, understand that I do not mean for this paragraph to be anythingnegative on our police officers but I truly am confused by the lack of personswith a complaint.

So, when I lookinto the evidence you provide there is always legitimacy behind managementsdecisions, but then again where else do I have to go, and who else do I have totalk to? The police officers that won’t speak up in public are hurtingtheir own cause and I wish they would just stand up so that everything can bebrought to light, but right now it is very one sided.

I am not sure if myresponse is getting across what I am trying to say as I am speaking from heartrather than from a “professional position”. I need, more than is beingprovided. I need individuals to stand up to injustice and not be afraid to doso, and if there is it shouldn’t be hard to find 10,20, 30 or more officerswilling to go public. If they would do that, then that move would demandjustice in the public perception. I mean, this is in essence what everypolice officer gave oath to do for the people of this city, and I think that itis important for them to do it for each other.

I encourage you,who seems to have their trust, to rally, encourage and lead them into comingforward. Not one but most if not all that claim to be aggrieved or haswitnessed grievance. There is power in numbers, and when you talk aboutit, it sounds like there are dozens, so have them stand up, together as one,and go public with what those grievances are. That is the only way I cansee this working, as it is just to localized and anonymous to be able tojustify anything you are wanting to see.

I want to help,just limited to what I can do with what is given.

Sincerely,

Christopher B.Hanks
    North Port CityCommissioner
    4970 City HallBlvd.
    North Port, FL34286
    Office:941-429-7069
    Cell: 941-628-2919

From:City Watch North Port Fl [mailto:CityWatchNorthPortFL@outlook.com]
    Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2017 12:15 AM
    To: Christopher Hanks <chanks@cityofnorthport.com>
    Subject: State of NPPD

Hey Chris,

During the electioncycle you promised to follow where the facts led you. Accountability andTransparency. Again and again, we raise the concerns and nothing isdone. While I know your hands are tied in as much you can make nodecisions, you do have the power of your influence and relationship with Mr.Lear. There are too many good men and women who have been sacrificed atthe dept an on the street because the current PD failures. Please stand up forthe cops that are really getting shafted here. They deserve better.

Put on your CEOhat, if you had manager with a turnover rate such as PDs, and you were payingthat manager 140K/year. Would you be supportive of him putting in 40hours on your 140K then moonlighting in Venice to pull an extra 4K amonth? What would you tell that manager..?

I would really like to hear your thoughts on this Chris.

Thanks, Steph
    E-mail messages sent orreceived by City of North Port officials and employees in connection withofficial City business are public records subject to disclosure under theFlorida Public Records Act.

Carusone on State of NPPD

No response to my last direct questions..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for your response Vanessa.

Do you care that he misled the public with his responses tothe newspaper?
    Do you care that he is not following the IA 701.01 that requirehim to investigate ALL issues raised?
    Do you think he should be allowed to clear himself prior toan investigation?

Have a good Thankgiving..!

From: Vanessa Carusone [mailto:vcarusone@cityofnorthport.com]
    Sent: Monday, November 20, 2017 12:31 PM
    Subject: Re: State of NPPD

I don’t have a problem with his working for Venice, as longas it doesn’t interfere with his job at the city. As for the turnover the Citymanager is well aware of it.
    V
    Sent from my iPad

On Nov 19, 2017, at 12:19 AM, City Watch North Port Fl <CityWatchNorthPortFL@outlook.com>wrote:

Hey Vanessa,

During the election cycle you supported Accountabilityand Transparency. Again and again, we raise the concerns and nothing isdone. While I know your hands are tied in as much you can make nodecisions, you do have the power of your influence and relationship with Mr.Lear. There are too many good men and women who have been sacrificed atthe dept an on the street because the current PD Admin failures. Hecontinues to skirt the policies when it behooves him Please stand up for thecops that are really getting shafted here. They deserve better.

If you had manager with a turnover rate such as PDs, and youwere paying that manager 140K/year. Would you be supportive of himputting in 40 hours on your 140K then moonlighting in Venice to pull an extra4K a month? What would you tell that manager..?

I would really like to hear your thoughts on the State of NPPD.

Thanks, Steph

E-mail messages sent or received by City of North Portofficials and employees in connection with official City business are publicrecords subject to disclosure under the Florida Public Records Act.

Luke on the State of NPPD

by far the most thoughtful reply..

Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2017 1:57 PM
    Subject: RE: State of NPPD

Stephanie,
    Youare correct, as we can do nothing in regards to staff… that is within thecharter… and, I understand the check and balance of the charter’s design, andagree with it. I have an overview of the PD, only. I do not havespecifics of the history on them, nor the details of the entire department andthe staff, past or present. I learn more in regards to the PD from youremails than anywhere else. For me to give you an unbiased opinion orthought on a subject that I have not investigated, I’m afraid that Icannot. Personally, I am watching the actions, replies and results ofthis topic, being played out within the email… which helps me to be moreinformed, and watchful, on the topic. I am questioning, and havequestioned, the City Manager in regards to this topic, within the‘relationship’ that I have with him… and, will continue to so.
    Inregards to ‘moonlighting’… there is a thin line in any industry. I’ve workedin industries that do not allow it, at all. What is within the ‘contract’is to be followed per the law, or it could potentially open up legalissues. Again, I am speaking from an angle that is not in fullunderstanding of each of the nuances of that department… just as they could notspeak to my position, that handles the legislative arena of CityBusiness.
    Ido appreciate your willingness to keep me included in this topic. Itoffers knowledge to me, to ask the right questions of staff. I would liketo ask your opinion of the ‘change’ that will be occurring because of ChiefVespia retiring… how do you see that it needs to be played out? To myunderstanding a selection needs to be done by January to be able to have the‘new’ personnel be prepared for takeover in April. If you have the timeto give me your prospective, I would appreciate it. It does not have tobe a big rush… I am just returning from Nat’l Convention and have a ton ofitems to address over the next several days. If we don’t speak byThanksgiving… be blessed. – Jill Luke

From:City Watch North Port Fl [mailto:CityWatchNorthPortFL@outlook.com]
    Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2017 12:23 AM
    To: Jill luke <jluke@cityofnorthport.com>
    Subject: State of NPPD

Hey Jill,

Accountability andTransparency is paramount to trust and good governance. Again and again,we raise the concerns and nothing is done. While I know your hands aretied in as much you can make no decisions, you do have the power of your influenceand relationship with Mr. Lear. There are too many good men and women whohave been sacrificed at the dept an on the street because the current PDfailures. Please stand up for the cops that are really getting shaftedhere. They deserve better.

If you had managerwith a turnover rate such as PDs, and you were paying that manager140K/year. Would you be supportive of him putting in 40 hours on your140K then moonlighting in Venice to pull an extra 4K a month? What wouldyou tell that manager..?

I would really like to hear your thoughts on the State of NPPD

Thanks, Steph

E-mail messages sent orreceived by City of North Port officials and employees in connection withofficial City business are public records subject to disclosure under theFlorida Public Records Act.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I don't think Pelfrey is lying. What you may not know is that natural disaster pay is at a different rate than standard OT, and that's across the board in most LE. If you figure 94 employees working anywhere from 72-144 hours in a row it can get pretty wild. I dunno if that helps.
    He learned how to lie from the best....ummm I mean he must have been misunderstood by the press (that's another answer he learned from his boss). It's double time and a half for any overtime except getting called back on a holiday, so guess again there Mr. what you may not know.

IRMA Correction..

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    Pelfrey claims $300K of $440K of the FY 16/17 OT budget overage is because of IRMA and Commission meetings...

Attachment 273
    According to ABC7.. City OT costs for IRMA OT pay is 700k, half of which of $350K was attributable to PD. I I did learn that this time all of the salaried staff was paid straight time for their extra efforts during IRMA.

Finance working on putting the numbers together for us but it looks like Pelfrey got them first?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKPPP23xYhQ

Unregistered

Answers

From Chris Hanks:
    "I understand thatmany of them are concerned for their jobs, but I honestly don’t understand the fear that they carry from it."
    If you had been reading what has been posting her you would know that those who have spoken up here and to this administration are no longer employed here. So tell us what you don't understand?

Unregistered

Answers?

From Vanessa Carusone:

"I don’t have a problem with his working for Venice, as long as it doesn’t interfere with his job at the city. As for the turnover the City manager is well aware of it."

How would you know when and where he is here or working for Venice? You state the city manager is well aware of the turnover rate at the PD. Let's see, that would be 21 people gone since January 01 with another leaving this month. The department has 23 openings with a 24th coming up. that's almost a 75% reduction in manpower that forces excessive overtime and the best you can come up with as the Mayor of this city is that the person your commission holds power over is that he is well aware of it? Do the job you were elected to do and ask the city manager what he is planning on doing about this failed department division he is in charge of and what he plans to do to resolve this.

Unregistered

Answers?

From Jill Luke:

For me to give you an unbiased opinion or thought on a subject that I have not investigated, I’m afraid that I cannot.

You have been in office long enough to know what is going on at the police department and how it is run. I can understand that waiting for a new chief to be hired will bring changes in the culture and command of the department. It won't take long for he or she to realize how the soon past chief has depleted the force so badly with his vengeance on people, that it will take a long while to get some type of morale back and officers will be able to work without fear of retribution. What started out with the way Jonathan Lewis protected all his department heads allowing the state of the PD to become what it is, is simply being allowed to continue now with a blind eye as to the matter at hand and that is people are leaving at alarming rates and have been since he has taken over the department. This is not a new thing here, it's been going on for his whole tenure. You are a representative of the people and say that this matter doesn't mean enough to be investigated? You have no conversations with your city manager?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    From Jill Luke:

For me to give you an unbiased opinion or thought on a subject that I have not investigated, I’m afraid that I cannot.

You have been in office long enough to know what is going on at the police department and how it is run. I can understand that waiting for a new chief to be hired will bring changes in the culture and command of the department. It won't take long for he or she to realize how the soon past chief has depleted the force so badly with his vengeance on people, that it will take a long while to get some type of morale back and officers will be able to work without fear of retribution. What started out with the way Jonathan Lewis protected all his department heads allowing the state of the PD to become what it is, is simply being allowed to continue now with a blind eye as to the matter at hand and that is people are leaving at alarming rates and have been since he has taken over the department. This is not a new thing here, it's been going on for his whole tenure. You are a representative of the people and say that this matter doesn't mean enough to be investigated? You have no conversations with your city manager?
    I just have to say that if HR or someone in City Hall would have ever bothered to read the mandatory annual evaluations, they may have seen some of the red flags that were presenting themselves. I, for one, had a three-page attachment memo to my last two (2) evaluations with red flags all over the place. Not one person, not even one, EVER questioned the memos or me. There was absolutely no concern from my own chain of command, as none of them said anything about it, but more disappointing was that HR didn't even read them. Maybe I am incorrect with regards to the function of HR but aren't they supposed to be keeping an eye on potential problems? Even with my exit interview with the City Manager, I pointed out that problem and he agreed that someone in City Hall should have been reading the evaluations. I just found the whole process empty and a sad state of affairs. I have suggested for several years that the employees need to be able to evaluate the supervisors, just as there are employees that can't cut the mustard, there are also supervisors who have no clue how to do their jobs. Just my thoughts.

Pam Schmidt
    (Just another "disgruntled employee")

Page 235 of 264 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245 ... LastLast