Time for a change - Page 186
Page 186 of 264 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 2631

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    There was a discussion this week on the dais about hiring a Head hunter to recruit a new CM. Chris Hanks suggested that if the interim Manager was interested and the Commission was open to the idea that MAYBE they could hire him directly and avoid pqying the $30,000+ it will cost to recruit one. There was a discussion and all 4 seemed open to the idea. Carusone asked him if he met the educational requirements and it was determined by the HR rep that he did meet the qualification requirements. They directed staff to come back in June with a template contract for discussion. So yes, they discussed hiring him, in the sunshine but it has not been finalized. I have zero opinion on Mr Lear. I just dont know anything about him. If he is qualified and aware of the issues and willing to take them on.. I wouldnt be opposed.

On another hire from within move, Captain Morales is going to spend a week on the other side of the state to take Future Chief training...? uhmm not sure why we are spending all that money on an individual that doesnt meet the minimum qualifications to take the reins. Hope Vanessa remembers to ask the Captain about whether he meets he educational requirements too...
    So, the commission will not spend 30 grand on seeking a qualified applicant but will spend 100 grand firing a female officer, interesting!!! In regards to the interims education, one should check his educational level and compare to what is required. I would not take HR opinion on this matter, it is most certainly tainted.
    So you know there is no minimum qualifications to be police Chief as so noted in our present chief, but the ranks of subordinate commander and Captain require at least a bachelors degree and relevant experience etc. The commission needs to direct HR to research other cities standard qualifications for police chief and implement same. If a commander or captain needs only a bachelors degree than a chief should need at least that or a masters degree, this in itself weeds out the political cronies and would prohibit a reoccurrence of what is transpiring now.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain
    Actually, I requested the Job descriptions this week for the Chief, Captain and Commander from the City. There are minimum qualifications and the current Chief, nor the Captain meet the educational requirements. vespia was fast tracked to the top and we got what we got. Now, for us to even consider to do the same thing again.. is ludicrous.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Again?? Uhmmm nothing personal but No.

Here are a couple pertinent clips.. if anyone is interested in the whole thing, let me know and I will forward.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chief Job description clips.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	243
    Last edited by Stephanie Gibson; 04-15-2017 at 02:15 AM. Reason: typo

Unregistered

disclaimer

Actually, I requested the Job descriptions this week for the Chief, Captain and Commander from the City. There are minimum qualifications and the current Chief, nor the Captain meet the educational requirements. vespia was fast tracked to the top and we got what we got. Now, for us to even consider to do the same thing again.. is ludicrous.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Again?? Uhmmm nothing personal but No.

Here are a couple pertinent clips.. if anyone is interested in the whole thing, let me know and I will forward.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chief Job description clips.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	243
    you will note that the job description for chief calls for experience, and at least a bachelors degree to get the job. The disclaimer at the very bottom is interesting small letters , A comparable amount of training, education and/or experience may be substituted for above qualifications. Simply put. you don't need any stinkin qualifications. I find it interesting that the actual job description actually defines the minimum education required and training and job experience needed and that these very same qualifications can be used to negate the description and they can hire anyone they want. And we pay HR all this money for what???????

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    you will note that the job description for chief calls for experience, and at least a bachelors degree to get the job. The disclaimer at the very bottom is interesting small letters , A comparable amount of training, education and/or experience may be substituted for above qualifications. Simply put. you don't need any stinkin qualifications. I find it interesting that the actual job description actually defines the minimum education required and training and job experience needed and that these very same qualifications can be used to negate the description and they can hire anyone they want. And we pay HR all this money for what???????
    I think in general, there should be some allowance and balance between education and experience in the hiring process. The bottom line by HR is needed and allows for discretion in special circumstance of an exceptional candidate. However, if we are to forego the education minimums, then there better be extraorinary years of experience, exemplary discipline record and proven successful leadership.

Unregistered
    I think in general, there should be some allowance and balance between education and experience in the hiring process. The bottom line by HR is needed and allows for discretion in special circumstance of an exceptional candidate. However, if we are to forego the education minimums, then there better be extraorinary years of experience, exemplary discipline record and proven successful leadership.
    the problem with this is very simple, if you do not have an education standard set for leadership positions then you breed just exactly what we have now. Most police depts. will not even accept your application unless you have at least 30 credit hrs, some require an associates degree. Yet here we are 134 thousand dollar a yr job to a man with a GED and then considering the same to a man with a high school diploma. This minimum educational level is set because law enforcement deals with peoples rights, the law, social interaction etc. It has been proven over and over again an educated officer with college is a far more better officer than your person off the street with no secondary education.. What is an exceptional candidate if they have no secondary education, one who comes to work, doesn't call in sick, it is certainly not going to be one who has to testify or control a 14 million dollar a yr budget. No I believe experience is important to an extent, but with this highly evolving world we live in and the way cops are perceived it is always better to have an educated socially adaptable officer than a GED officer anyday. The current chief has a business manager to handle his departmental financial matters.

Unregistered
    Exceptional candidate????? A leader is supposed to be the most qualified person for the job, unfortunately in NP it is the political hack, the one who is least likely to make waves. Kind of obvious here, because these guys caused tsunamis. The job description should be clear cut and concise, not as HR has them described here, this is what we expect you to meet these qualifications, but, in the fine print this is how you will get this job. If you aspire to be a leader, experience is a must, training also, but if you lack the required education you have failed to even lead yourself. Just think how embarrassing it is for KV, all his chest pumping and fake accomplishments and then to be outed as having only a GED. If I was next in line I would be studying my butt off so I would not suffer the same ridicule. If you require a bachelors degree from subordinates then the chief should be more educated like a master degree. Pelfrey has two masters degree yet his boss has a GED, what wrong with this picture????????? We as a community expect more from our city leaders

Part of leadership is readying your staff to rise in ranks. Do we not have any commanders that are prepared to be promoted to Captain?

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/nor...FwddxPacket%3E

Unregistered
    Part of leadership is readying your staff to rise in ranks. Do we not have any commanders that are prepared to be promoted to Captain?

http://agency.governmentjobs.com/nor...FwddxPacket%3E

Most of the commanders shouldn't even be commanders, let alone a captain....

Unregistered

Lee Williams The Gun Writer

Hey Lee, maybe it is time for you to do a story and start a movement in reference to why the search for a new chief needs to go national. We are a department in strange times needed leadership. The people of this town deserve better and they need to understand why this position requires a person of great character and education. The Chief makes more money then the Charlotte County Sheriff. Therefore we should be seeking a a highly professional person to bring this department into the future. Come on Lee...

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hey Lee, maybe it is time for you to do a story and start a movement in reference to why the search for a new chief needs to go national. We are a department in strange times needed leadership. The people of this town deserve better and they need to understand why this position requires a person of great character and education. The Chief makes more money then the Charlotte County Sheriff. Therefore we should be seeking a a highly professional person to bring this department into the future. Come on Lee...
    The administration needs to have its choke hold on the union, they cant let the union dictate to them or create problems. Vespia will pass the pink baton to Morales who will ensure the union is kept submissive and quiet. Its gonna happen live with it.

Page 186 of 264 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236 ... LastLast