Time for a change - Page 174
Page 174 of 264 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2631

Unregistered
    so I see now jill states if she wins she will not be seeking employment elsewhere, but she will ask to have the part time commissioner status revisited and become a full time commissioner. She further states she believe it is a full time job being a commissioner. I believe the commissioners should be compensated for the time they put into the job, but it seems really premature to announce or state as a candidate that you are not satisfied with this position being part time, well that's the position you are running for jill, We don't need full time commissioners. What would this cost us as taxpayers, large salaries, benefits etc. There is no need to make commissioners full time, they do not run the day to day operations. Any attempt to make this position full time would be self serving and certainly not beneficial to the taxpayers.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

What's Too Little.. Too Much?

Fact: County commissioners earn $81,845 a year in Sarasota and $78,789 in Manatee.

This is a conversation worth having.. once upon a time, we were a sleepy lil town and the Commissioner role was a part-time effort. When i was considering a run, I spent a few months tryng to do the pre-read and homework on the issues on upcoming agenda. What i determined was, there is no way that job can be done right in 20 hours a week. I think most running fully understand it is a full time job. In a recent meeting both Hanks and Carusone made comments about such so I will not be surprised to see the pay increase coming to the dais.

We have to decide as a City if we want the status quo or reach deeper into our pockets and elect qualified candidates who will do the hard work to ensure we plan and grow the City wisely.
    1) Leave it as is and limit the candidate pool to retirees or those who can afford to work for 1/3 or 1/2 of their regular income or worse yet.. those who will just show up and wont do the hard work, simply show up and vote based on 'Staff Recommendations." While that is not meant as a slam on staff, it is what happened on the last commission, staff or lewis contrlled the information and the facts that were given to the Commissioners. How did that work out for us?? $30K a year is clearly light for the amount of hours they should be investing

2) The other side of the coin, if we make it a FT job and increase the pay we will have a larger pool of qualified candidates to choose from. More choices are ALWAYS better for the voters. It encourages more qualified candidates with serious professional experience.

I would not be opposed to increasing the salaries of our Commissioners. I dont think the job should warrant the salary level of the County as they serve a much larger population. I would think the job should be around $40K - 48K. First term $40K and Second term $48. Mayor would get an additional $2K.

How to make that happen is not gonna be fun.. but I want Leaders who will do the homework, ask the hard questions, take on the uncomfortable issues..

Unregistered
    The police department gave back approximately $700,000 from last years budget. This was from positions that are funded, but are unable to be filled and next year they will do the same. Why work for the city of North Port when you can work for the county and make more money. Take the money that was returned and use it. Problem solved.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    Fact: County commissioners earn $81,845 a year in Sarasota and $78,789 in Manatee.

This is a conversation worth having.. once upon a time, we were a sleepy lil town and the Commissioner role was a part-time effort. When i was considering a run, I spent a few months tryng to do the pre-read and homework on the issues on upcoming agenda. What i determined was, there is no way that job can be done right in 20 hours a week. I think most running fully understand it is a full time job. In a recent meeting both Hanks and Carusone made comments about such so I will not be surprised to see the pay increase coming to the dais.

We have to decide as a City if we want the status quo or reach deeper into our pockets and elect qualified candidates who will do the hard work to ensure we plan and grow the City wisely.
    1) Leave it as is and limit the candidate pool to retirees or those who can afford to work for 1/3 or 1/2 of their regular income or worse yet.. those who will just show up and wont do the hard work, simply show up and vote based on 'Staff Recommendations." While that is not meant as a slam on staff, it is what happened on the last commission, staff or lewis contrlled the information and the facts that were given to the Commissioners. How did that work out for us?? $30K a year is clearly light for the amount of hours they should be investing

2) The other side of the coin, if we make it a FT job and increase the pay we will have a larger pool of qualified candidates to choose from. More choices are ALWAYS better for the voters. It encourages more qualified candidates with serious professional experience.

I would not be opposed to increasing the salaries of our Commissioners. I dont think the job should warrant the salary level of the County as they serve a much larger population. I would think the job should be around $40K - 48K. First term $40K and Second term $48. Mayor would get an additional $2K.

How to make that happen is not gonna be fun.. but I want Leaders who will do the homework, ask the hard questions, take on the uncomfortable issues..
    I do not think NP warrants full time commissioners. I agree the pay should be higher, certainly not by tens of thousands but higher. The commissioners are the overseers of our local government, our legislative branch per se.. The charter relinquishes the authority for the daily operations to the city manager and his staff, so therefore, full time they would have little or nothing to do other than oversee the city manager, who works for them attend some meetings etc. I certainly do not think a candidate should run for office with the prearranged thought of creating a full time job for herself. We now have some great commissioners, who took the job as is and are working real hard to better our community working far more hours than expected, so yes they should be compensated, but certainly not some compensation package that would include full time employment .

Unregistered

Jill--Im in no position to judge whats going on in the NPPD-- Lukes

well we finally heard Commission candidate Jill Lukes opinion in regards to the ongoing problems within the NPPD. ON the NPCC FB page she responded to questions asked by Anne Olsen. One said question was what would you do about the ongoing problems in the NPPD she replied She is in no position to judge what's going on, I could not fairly access the inner workings without hearing from both sides, even to give an opinion. Typical political no direct answer to a direct question.
    Nothing about accountability, nothing about how to handle the on going misconduct, nothing about how to handle the chief and his admin. Guess who is going to do nothing!!!!!! Is she that oblivious to what is going on here. Political fence walking at it's worst. She obviously does not read the news, watch the news or pays attention to what is transpiring in our city.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    well we finally heard Commission candidate Jill Lukes opinion in regards to the ongoing problems within the NPPD. ON the NPCC FB page she responded to questions asked by Anne Olsen. One said question was what would you do about the ongoing problems in the NPPD she replied She is in no position to judge what's going on, I could not fairly access the inner workings without hearing from both sides, even to give an opinion. Typical political no direct answer to a direct question.
    Nothing about accountability, nothing about how to handle the on going misconduct, nothing about how to handle the chief and his admin. Guess who is going to do nothing!!!!!! Is she that oblivious to what is going on here. Political fence walking at it's worst. She obviously does not read the news, watch the news or pays attention to what is transpiring in our city.
    I think Jill had the nearly perfect response...

None of us on the outside looking in are really in the position to fully judge but i do know we are entitled to full transparency and accountability, especially by those whom we entrust great power. Checks and balances. We can only try to have them held accountable through City provided complaint processes but in the end, the Chief gets to play judge and jury. In my view, he has failed repeatedly. Certainly Captain Uebelacker's termination after blowing the whistle only casts deeper concerns... and the clear need is only further reinforced.

If we cannot judge fully from the outside, and it is the Chief himself is under scrutiny.. what is the only logical next step?

It is time for an independent outside investigation with the FDLE, DOJ, SAO.. whatever legitimate options we have available. Lets find out what is really going on, separate the fact from fiction. Let the chips fall where they may..

It is in everyone's best interest here, especially the Chief. I am certain he believes he will be vindicated once and for all. So why wouldnt we?
    Last edited by Stephanie Gibson; 03-19-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Typos

Unregistered
    I agree there is now way someone can say yes without an investigation. She had the best response she could give with the knowledge.

Unregistered
    I agree there is now way someone can say yes without an investigation. She had the best response she could give with the knowledge.
    "Just a nip"
    Brass knuckles
    Officer allowed to retire while under investigation.

These are just a few of Kevin's screw ups that are public knowledge. What she gave was nothing more then a typical C. Cook response.

Unregistered
    "Just a nip"
    Brass knuckles

These are just a few of Kevin's screw ups that are public knowledge. What she gave was nothing more then a typical C. Cook response.
    oh really you lack intelligence. Did your other commissioners take office and get rid of him noooo. Why because it needs to be right. why dont you accuse the other commissioners of being a cook supporter because they did not jump to fire kv. That is the problem with this town to many uneducated facebook warriors who think they know it all. Smarten up or shut up

Unregistered
    "Just a nip"
    Brass knuckles

Sex parties
    officer suicide
    explorer affairs
    domestic violence
    senior citizen apprehension with force
    the list is extensive. I'm sure others could add a few examples.

Page 174 of 264 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224 ... LastLast