Time for a change - Page 104
Page 104 of 264 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 2631

Unregistered

Don't Support Moore but can't support Hanks - ABCD - D2 is mess

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    in order to make effective change we need to give the big three the boot. cook, difranco and moore gone. Despite our personal feelings for Jacqueline Moore, who is a very nice lady but she sucks at being a commissioner. She thinks all our problems can be solved with hugs and kindness. She will never ever support change. I think Pete Emerch for dist 4 is also a viable candidate, he will certainly support what needs to be done.
    We need to rid our city of the cancer that has grown from within, Cook, Difranco, Moore, Lewis, Schultz, CA Moriarity and Vespia and his cronies. Sounds like a lot but is really not. Cory Hutchinson. Debbie and Chris Hanks are the only hope we have of getting things done. I like Cohen, but he is not vocal enough on our problems. Hanks stated he will look at each and every department to make the effective changes and I think he likes the PD, so hopefully he will rid us of all our at will hires and show vespia the door, He support uniform. Vanessa, well apparently she supports vespia, so she will support no effect change. Get out to vote, drag your family and friends, it is out time, our city, It's time for a change !!!!!!!!!
    Hanks doesn't understand how the City Manager / Commission works. So his promises to fix things as he describes are thinly veiled attempts to shine you on. Fixes can happen but you can't fix anything if you don't know how it works.

Unregistered
    Hanks doesn't understand how the City Manager / Commission works. So his promises to fix things as he describes are thinly veiled attempts to shine you on. Fixes can happen but you can't fix anything if you don't know how it works.
    I do not believe any of the new choices have experience if they do very little. That being said change needs to happen. I could care less who has experience doing what. What I care about is honesty , accountability and people that will fight for the people not against them. So a Breath of fresh new air is all I want to breath. Come on newbies make that change.

Unregistered
    Good evening. I just learned about this page today and I thought that I would visit and ask a few questions. I am a citizen of North Port. I moved here 3 years ago. I have read through most of the posts. I have a few questions for all of the guys on the beat.
    1. Is it 100% true that Chief Vespia has only a GED and some online college courses?
    2. Does Captain Morales have what it takes to do the job of police chief if need be?
    3. What is the story with Ublacker? Is he a sworn police officer?
    4. In your opinion, what change needs to be made? What are the top five "beefs" with the department?
    The rumors are rampant. Law enforcement up north is different so any insight you could give would be appreciated.

I'll do what I can but I feel that I need to understand what is happening before I put my neck on the block.

Unregistered
    Good evening. I just learned about this page today and I thought that I would visit and ask a few questions. I am a citizen of North Port. I moved here 3 years ago. I have read through most of the posts. I have a few questions for all of the guys on the beat.
    1. Is it 100% true that Chief Vespia has only a GED and some online college courses?
    2. Does Captain Morales have what it takes to do the job of police chief if need be?
    3. What is the story with Ublacker? Is he a sworn police officer?
    4. In your opinion, what change needs to be made? What are the top five "beefs" with the department?
    The rumors are rampant. Law enforcement up north is different so any insight you could give would be appreciated.

I'll do what I can but I feel that I need to understand what is happening before I put my neck on the block.
    1-yes he has a GED, but working on his masters without getting a associates or bachelors first, at least that's the POI spin. He was a special ed student in RI, quit school in 10th grade. He also claimed to be a vet, actually technically he is, but served in the RI national guard as a driver/radio operator in a military police co, he graduated MP school but did not do MP duties, HMMM wonder why??? H/T article July 9 2016
    2- no, only has high school education, tried to fluff his creds by attending FBI leadership school, which as any cop knows is a PR course for the FBI and you cannot fail. He is part of the problem and not the solution. The solution is simple hire from a nationwide search, an educated professional who will come in and clean out our admin and make us professional once again,. Someone ,unlike the chief and the capt .who is not the city mgrs. pawn. Note, according to the chiefs new job descriptions, Morales is not qualified for a Captains position. the only job in this dept that does not have a description and requirements is the Chief's position, coincidence????
    3-was on vespias oral board in Charlotte county, friends, not qualified, was a civilian and it is suspected this certification had expired prior to him being made Captain.
    4-read thru the alleged rumors, most are true, as hard as it seems. This dept is in for some very rough times lawsuits alone, depositions, people now know the truth. uneducated ignorance has allowed this dept to let the goon squad do there thing and now it is costing us all

Unregistered
    Any normal and educated individual would bang there heads against walls trying to figure out how the commission and city admin works. He has committed himself to at least explore what is happening and has asked for our help. I believe he is sincere in his platform. I think once he is convinced, he will personally see to it they are gone. But hey who knows, only he does. Cohen seemed a viable candidate but has not come to this forum and expressed his views, so who knows. What we do know is the track record of Moore and Cook. There will absolutely be no change if moore is re elected. Status Quo or worse. I think Hanks can be a good thing if he is not bulls#$tted by admin and the CM office. He is very approachable and willing to learn, as is Cory Hutchinson and Debbie. My personal opinion Linda Yates, Chris, Debbie, Cory and in dist 4 Pete Emerich. will equal a very good and positive change for our city. But then again my head hurts from the wall !!!!!Vote its your right and responsibility, together we can make change happen. ABCD & M

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Ethics Hearing

Ethics Hearing for Rob Robinson, continues tomorrow at Sarasota County Commission Chambers at 9 am.. Johnathan Lewis and xMayor Blucher are set to testify for the defense.. if i understand correctly, Robinson is claiming he was not the City Attorney thus should not be held to the same ethical standards.. uh what.. ? I guess Lewis will tell em we didnt have a CA jes like we didnt have a HR until this January..

..I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God..

If havent already, please make sure you Vote! Two days left of early voting!

#ABCD

North Port Sun coverage on the Robinson Ethics Hearing

Oh yeah.. it is Time for change, beginning with #ABCD

Attorney:‘Robinson took advantage of his role’ By JONATHAN SCHOLLESSTAFF WRITERSARASOTA — Counsel for FloridaCommission on Ethics argued Thursday that former North Port city attorneyRobert Robinson was a public officer, not a local government attorney, when heallegedly violated state law by creating new government positions for himselfwhile working as city attorney.That commission found probable cause ayear ago that Robinson’s actions violated four separate Florida statutes byrecommending to North Port City commissioners the creation of new positions andthen appointing him to those positions.Robinson, an attorney at Kirk-Pinkertonfocusing on employment, government and land use law, allegedly created thepositions of special magistrate for code enforcement and zoning hearing officer.“Evidence shows he acted in a privatecapacity to sell his services to the city of North Port and sold the servicesof his law firm to the city,” said Elizabeth Miller, advocate for Commission onEthics. “He created a situation which his private interest and interest of firmwerein conflict with his position at thecity. It created a continuing, reoccurring conflict.“He drafted two ordinances, promotedthe adoption and offered his services above anyone else — he took advantage ofhis role as public officer for his private benefit,” she added. “He indeed wasan appointed public officer.”Miller says Robinson’s name is listedas city attorney on several official city documents, including its 2012 citycharter. Cherry, Bekaert and Holland, a Tampa-based accounting firm, is listedas city auditor, although the document details Robinson — not Nelson Hesse — asits official lawyer.Robinson disputes the claims, sayingNorth Port was merely a client of his while working for law firms, Bowman,George, Scheb, Toale and Robinson and then Nelson Hesse.Brennan Donnelly, a Tallahassee-basedattorney representing Robinson, agreed. He said city ordinances indicate NorthPort contracted with Nelson Hesse for its legal services — not Robinson.However, a clause inthedocuments says, “The Firm designates and the city accepts Robert K. Robinson asthe primary attorney for city legal work.”The former city attorney testified ateam of associate lawyers worked on the city’s behalf to draft and reviewordinances during his 14 years with the city, noting his responsibility was toendorse legal documents and attend city meetings. Additionally, if he were sickor on vacation, one of his associations would step in.When pressed by Miller, Robinsonadmitted he had an after-hours conversation with City Commissioner RhondaDiFranco — a violation of Sunshine Laws — about potentially providing legalservices to North Port while the city seeks an in-house attorney.A month later, on June 9, 2014,commissioners moved to adopt a letter of engagement appointing Nelson Hesse asits overlap counsel until an in-house attorney, Mark Moriarty, can fullytransitional into the role.“It was a logical plan for transition,”Robinson said during his testimony. “I personally wanted to see this succeed,moving fromoutside to inside counsel. Thiswas a mechanism put in place in case the new city attorney would need me duringthe transition. ... It was a collaborative idea — I found it to be a jointeffort on both our parts. I gave (letter of engagement) to (DiFranco) and saiddo what you want with it.“I felt what we were doing would helpthe city,” he added. “I was looking out for the best interest of the city. Iwas ready to move on and I wanted this to be successful. From taking calls onweekends or in the middle of the night, the city always came first.”At the time, DiFranco said,“(Robinson’s) firm has the history and experience in this city and can help thenew attorney.”It didn’t take long, Miller said,before Robinson drafted ordinances and encouraged commissioners to appoint himto new government positions. Moves Robinson testified were allowable under hisrecently signed letter of engagement.In video evidence from a commissionermeeting on July 14, 2014, Robinson introduced the zoning hearing officerposition, saying a “pending threat, a lawsuit,” prompted itscreation.When asked by Yates, Robinson said the ordinance was urgent and requiredadoption that night.In his testimony, Robinson said hisroles as zoning hearing officer were the “same as the zoning board.” He said hedid not provide periodic review of his work to commissioners and wasn’t quitecertain who his supervisor in that role was — the commissioner or city manager,Jonathan Lewis.Yates, in her testimony, said shebecame increasingly concerned in the city’s relationship with Robinson as thelegal bills soared, exceeding $1 million at one point — a far cry from itsfirst contract, $160,000, in 2001.“We saw different things billed ashourly and it built up,” she said. “There was a difference between billable feeand retainer fee. As commissioner, I have an obligation to oversee legalservices and how much we paid. At one time, it was over $1 million during arecession time ... and it was very concerning.”Miller said there has been a pattern of“corrupt intent” in Robinson’s tenure as city attorney, pointing to the steeplegalbills.Donnelly asked Yates if she had any“animosity” toward Robinson, stemming from a history of “critiquing” his work.Yates, who was mayor during Robinson’sstint as city attorney, said she “questioned” his work as she should. “Iquestioned, not criticized, legal bills. In 2010, I took an oath to look outfor the public and do my due diligence,” she said.Firing back, Donnelly asked Yates ifcommissioners always follow the city charter, adding Robinson is supposed toact as prosecutor in those documents and not once has.“We were told the city handled that,”Robinson testified. “It just never came up. They had a way of doing things andI respected that.”He stated during a July 2014 commissionmeeting that a “pending threat, a lawsuit” prompted the creation of a newgovernment title. Robinson said he doesn’t know how many lawsuits North Portfaces a year, guessing 50 or less. Moriarty says it’s closer to 24.The hearing continued late Thursday andmay have a second day today.jscholles@sun-herald.com

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    Oh yeah.. it is Time for change, beginning with #ABCD

Attorney:‘Robinson took advantage of his role’ By JONATHAN SCHOLLESSTAFF WRITERSARASOTA — Counsel for FloridaCommission on Ethics argued Thursday that former North Port city attorneyRobert Robinson was a public officer, not a local government attorney, when heallegedly violated state law by creating new government positions for himselfwhile working as city attorney.That commission found probable cause ayear ago that Robinson’s actions violated four separate Florida statutes byrecommending to North Port City commissioners the creation of new positions andthen appointing him to those positions.Robinson, an attorney at Kirk-Pinkertonfocusing on employment, government and land use law, allegedly created thepositions of special magistrate for code enforcement and zoning hearing officer.“Evidence shows he acted in a privatecapacity to sell his services to the city of North Port and sold the servicesof his law firm to the city,” said Elizabeth Miller, advocate for Commission onEthics. “He created a situation which his private interest and interest of firmwerein conflict with his position at thecity. It created a continuing, reoccurring conflict.“He drafted two ordinances, promotedthe adoption and offered his services above anyone else — he took advantage ofhis role as public officer for his private benefit,” she added. “He indeed wasan appointed public officer.”Miller says Robinson’s name is listedas city attorney on several official city documents, including its 2012 citycharter. Cherry, Bekaert and Holland, a Tampa-based accounting firm, is listedas city auditor, although the document details Robinson — not Nelson Hesse — asits official lawyer.Robinson disputes the claims, sayingNorth Port was merely a client of his while working for law firms, Bowman,George, Scheb, Toale and Robinson and then Nelson Hesse.Brennan Donnelly, a Tallahassee-basedattorney representing Robinson, agreed. He said city ordinances indicate NorthPort contracted with Nelson Hesse for its legal services — not Robinson.However, a clause inthedocuments says, “The Firm designates and the city accepts Robert K. Robinson asthe primary attorney for city legal work.”The former city attorney testified ateam of associate lawyers worked on the city’s behalf to draft and reviewordinances during his 14 years with the city, noting his responsibility was toendorse legal documents and attend city meetings. Additionally, if he were sickor on vacation, one of his associations would step in.When pressed by Miller, Robinsonadmitted he had an after-hours conversation with City Commissioner RhondaDiFranco — a violation of Sunshine Laws — about potentially providing legalservices to North Port while the city seeks an in-house attorney.A month later, on June 9, 2014,commissioners moved to adopt a letter of engagement appointing Nelson Hesse asits overlap counsel until an in-house attorney, Mark Moriarty, can fullytransitional into the role.“It was a logical plan for transition,”Robinson said during his testimony. “I personally wanted to see this succeed,moving fromoutside to inside counsel. Thiswas a mechanism put in place in case the new city attorney would need me duringthe transition. ... It was a collaborative idea — I found it to be a jointeffort on both our parts. I gave (letter of engagement) to (DiFranco) and saiddo what you want with it.“I felt what we were doing would helpthe city,” he added. “I was looking out for the best interest of the city. Iwas ready to move on and I wanted this to be successful. From taking calls onweekends or in the middle of the night, the city always came first.”At the time, DiFranco said,“(Robinson’s) firm has the history and experience in this city and can help thenew attorney.”It didn’t take long, Miller said,before Robinson drafted ordinances and encouraged commissioners to appoint himto new government positions. Moves Robinson testified were allowable under hisrecently signed letter of engagement.In video evidence from a commissionermeeting on July 14, 2014, Robinson introduced the zoning hearing officerposition, saying a “pending threat, a lawsuit,” prompted itscreation.When asked by Yates, Robinson said the ordinance was urgent and requiredadoption that night.In his testimony, Robinson said hisroles as zoning hearing officer were the “same as the zoning board.” He said hedid not provide periodic review of his work to commissioners and wasn’t quitecertain who his supervisor in that role was — the commissioner or city manager,Jonathan Lewis.Yates, in her testimony, said shebecame increasingly concerned in the city’s relationship with Robinson as thelegal bills soared, exceeding $1 million at one point — a far cry from itsfirst contract, $160,000, in 2001.“We saw different things billed ashourly and it built up,” she said. “There was a difference between billable feeand retainer fee. As commissioner, I have an obligation to oversee legalservices and how much we paid. At one time, it was over $1 million during arecession time ... and it was very concerning.”Miller said there has been a pattern of“corrupt intent” in Robinson’s tenure as city attorney, pointing to the steeplegalbills.Donnelly asked Yates if she had any“animosity” toward Robinson, stemming from a history of “critiquing” his work.Yates, who was mayor during Robinson’sstint as city attorney, said she “questioned” his work as she should. “Iquestioned, not criticized, legal bills. In 2010, I took an oath to look outfor the public and do my due diligence,” she said.Firing back, Donnelly asked Yates ifcommissioners always follow the city charter, adding Robinson is supposed toact as prosecutor in those documents and not once has.“We were told the city handled that,”Robinson testified. “It just never came up. They had a way of doing things andI respected that.”He stated during a July 2014 commissionmeeting that a “pending threat, a lawsuit” prompted the creation of a newgovernment title. Robinson said he doesn’t know how many lawsuits North Portfaces a year, guessing 50 or less. Moriarty says it’s closer to 24.The hearing continued late Thursday andmay have a second day today.jscholles@sun-herald.com

So what is the penalty for this? I think difranco could also be an ethics violator with the letter she sent to Miss Gibson's employer. How is this city getting away with all of this? Also the lawyer who gives himself raises and some of the commissioners just letting it happen. Difranco was already losing the race big time however after that letter that put an end to any hope although there really was nothing she could do but say I am a big time former police officer loser. No one wanted her or her little friend. So I think the tax payers are sick of their dirty political games.

Unregistered
    It is just not ABCD it is also M for Moore, she was their allie throughout her tenure on the board and we have former commissioners who now want there jobs back, we need to send a message loud and clear we want change, we want our city back, we want all those inept, incompetent commissioners and city administrators gone. New blood, new attitudes its time to bring North Port into the 21st century. Look at the candidates platforms, most being politically correct as to not step on anyone's toes. Except Hutchinson and Cohen and Pete Emerich have made it clear, accountability, no free rides here anymore, City Admin needs to go.
    Moore is lying low, trying to distance herself from Cook and DiFranco, to late Jacqueline, not to mention she is costing the taxpayers 70 Grand on a special election. Vanessa has a very non confrontational approach, we need to make Mineral springs affordable, ok, we need a hospital, ok but what about our real problems. Chris hanks laying low.
    Laying low is just not going to cut it anymore. We are tired of that, there is a slogan adopted IT's Time for a change, no where in this slogan does it imply status quo. Mayor Moore has a lot of moxy even running, she has accomplished nothing in her term, she has ridden the coat tails of the other two, voting with them 98 percent of the time, then she causes the district controversy and costs us 70 grand. Now she is playing the grandma game, look I changed, maybe I made mistakes
    all that political jargon to convince us she has changed. She has not changed. She will block everything any new commissioners will attempt to do, she will not vote for any change if it involves her now established City Admin friends. We are so close, I for one am tired of the Robinson, moriarty, Lewis, Schultz's and Vespia scandals that just keep coming,
    It is time for a change----ABCD&M Time for the candidates to step it up, convince us you are right for our city.

Last day of Early Voting..

Today is the the last day of early voting at Biscayne Plaza.. 8:30 - 4:30.. Please talk it up to your friends neighbors and fellow officers!

#ABCD

Page 104 of 264 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast