Oral Board/Interview

Unregistered

Oral Board/Interview

In the hiring process with SPD, what do they look for in the oral board/interview process? Never had an LEO interview before. Any help is appreciated, thanks to you all. Stay safe.

Unregistered
    The current SPD looks for: are you a race other than white? Are you a female? Even better, are you a non-white female?

I wish I was joking. So if you meet these criteria you're a shoe-in.

Unregistered
    Negative, not a female. I was looking for some insight for onto the process, trying to learn more about the city than just from what I read online.

Unregistered
    Let me tell you about the PD. The city commissioners have been trying to destroy us for a decade. We haven't had a raise in 8 years. Our post retirement benefits are being attacked all the time. We went from an annual cola raise of 3.2 percent in retirement, that started as soon as you retire, to a 1 percent raise that starts at 65 years of age. That adds up to almost nothing unless you live to be 150.

Our chief is a sociopath, an egomaniac. She is an embarrassment to the agency. She knows everything, just ask her. She pushes around a poodle in a pink stroller while in uniform. Our Deputy Chief had potential, but has been quite a let down. Our Patrol Captain has destroyed every positive thing that there ever was to being in a specialty unit, or in patrol.. He lives to make people miserable, and is very good at it.

If you are squared away, good luck getting hired. If you are an overweight, soft, young person with no life experience, you are shoe in. If the process doesn't go well for you, go to pridefest in Tampa next year. Put on a rainbow boa, and some daisy dukes, maybe Elton John glasses, and look for our recruiting booth.

Have you read the other thread about the chief? Have you searched Bernie the Bartender on youtube?

Unregistered
    In defense of the Deputy Chief, he only has so much wiggle room. He's no longer protected like the rest of us; one wrong move to piss off the Chief and she can fire him quicker than you can say, "FUPA."

Unregistered
    I'm still early in the process. Just looking to give back to the community I spent a lot of time in as a kid. All the superficial BS doesn't really phase me. I just want to put on my uniform and go out and do my job. Just looking for a little insight on what to expect during the hiring process.

Unregistered
    Keep telling yourself that ace!

Unregistered
    That sounds like a great answer for the oral board. Come back on here in five years if you're hired, and laugh at your comment.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm still early in the process. Just looking to give back to the community I spent a lot of time in as a kid. All the superficial BS doesn't really phase me. I just want to put on my uniform and go out and do my job. Just looking for a little insight on what to expect during the hiring process.
    Good luck if this is what you really want to do and this is the place where you really want to give it your all. Local PD agencies all over the country are for the most part being attacked from without and from those placed in positions of leadership to carry out their wishes. There is a lot of negativity in this department right now and some of it is self-conceived but I can tell you from personal experience that Officers in this department that actually are proactive and hunt the wolves of society, work hard and protect the innocent are the ones most punished.

The comments about race hiring are a fact and I will not comment anymore on that other than people should be hired based on their qualifications and integrity, not on gender and/or race.

So now to your question about the hiring process:

Community policing is gospel at SPD. The community (good and bad) have the Chief's personal cell and they are the driving force behind her decisions. The community comes first, the media second, citizen volunteers third and the cops somewhere near the bottom. Make sure you emphasize how much of an impact you will bring to the community and not so much how much you want to put bad people away (cause they are just misguided anyway).

The hiring process is what it is. You should have a list of the process if you are in any part of it.

Unregistered
    I greatly appreciate your honest answer. I still have to get out of the academy, but I appreciate your advice. I will definitely keep my eyes and mind open. I still have a ways to go before I'm out on the streets with you guys. Stay safe.