Theft of drivers license by deputy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Theft of drivers license by deputy

So here is the question. If a deputy stops me and takes my drivers license from me, without giving me a ticket, a court date or anything other than just running me through your computer system to see if I am wanted for jay walking, isn't that theft? How can he legally take my license if he isn't enforcing the law? I am thinking of calling Grady and asking him about it since he did it intentionally. I called repeatedly and left messages trying to get my license back and finally just gave up. Had to pay for a new one because of this jerk who calls himself a deputy.

Unregistered
    Need cheese and crackers with your whine?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Need cheese and crackers with your whine?
    No, I'm good ahole. But your response answered the question, the deputy is guilty of theft. Though I already knew that. See you in court.

Unregistered
    So here is the question. If a deputy stops me and takes my drivers license from me, without giving me a ticket, a court date or anything other than just running me through your computer system to see if I am wanted for jay walking, isn't that theft? How can he legally take my license if he isn't enforcing the law? I am thinking of calling Grady and asking him about it since he did it intentionally. I called repeatedly and left messages trying to get my license back and finally just gave up. Had to pay for a new one because of this jerk who calls himself a deputy.
    You do have a legitimate complaint and should pursue the issue. The deputy is required by law to forward any lawfully seized license to the DMV along with a citation and/or report outlining his probable cause for seizing it to begin with. The DMV then determines if your license should have points, suspension or revocation. If the deputy failed to do so and does not return the license immediately then he is guilty of depriving you of the use, and in turn committing a crime and violating your civil rights. Contact a civil attorney for details.

Unregistered
    I don't have a dog in this fight .. I'm just a citizen who periodically pulls up this website for entertainment. But , thank you to the deputy (?) who just gave a mature, educated, answer to a very fair question from someone who needed some guidance.

Unregistered
    Maybe the guy was cutting you a break by taking it without giving you the citation. Was it a duplicate? Was it expired? Is it suspended, revoked, cancelled, or disqualified? Was it your own? Is it damaged or altered? Does it have your correct name, address, and other info on it? If it is any of those things, you should not have it in your possession, driving or not, and you can receive various citations for not turning it in or using it. Tell us the full story.

Unregistered
    A driver license is property of the State, not the driver.

Unregistered
    A driver license is property of the State, not the driver.
    Exactly, and each person is entitled to use their drivers license until the STATE, not you, not a deputy or anyone else. lawfully takes it from him. If I remove a persons drivers license from their purse, that is theft. If you take it from someone without just cause under the law it is theft. So go blow that STATE b/s up someone else's nose.

DMV is a State agency and governs the drivers license whether you like it or not. A DEPUTY doesn't have the authority to take someone's license just because he feels like it. He is SWORN to enforce the LAW and no more. The badge and uniform doesn't give him the right to bend or change the laws to suit him or his agenda. He breaks the law if he takes someone's driver license without the authority under the laws. Period. You can twist it, turn it, bend it any way you like, but that deputy will be the one on the wrong end when he pulls that crap on the wrong person. And apparently he just did. If the deputy in question lawfully took the drivers license then there should be a report, whether in the form of citation, arrest, whatever. That driver paid for that license not the deputy. He has no authority to take it without probable cause. That same little thing you use to get on a airline, cash a check, rent a car. All those little things that need a government form of I.D that you just took to inconvenience someone because you think it is okay. It's not, you broke the law. More than once I would imagine and now it is catching up with you. Ever heard of that 4th amendment which protects citizens against illegal search and seizure? Better find yourself a good attorney. Amazing how stupid little things like that can sink a career isn't it.

Unregistered
    You still haven't told us the full story, or answered the questions I posed to you, and I doubt you ever will, because I bet it don't fit the narrative your trying to sell us.

Unregistered
    Maybe the guy was cutting you a break by taking it without giving you the citation. Was it a duplicate? Was it expired? Is it suspended, revoked, cancelled, or disqualified? Was it your own? Is it damaged or altered? Does it have your correct name, address, and other info on it? If it is any of those things, you should not have it in your possession, driving or not, and you can receive various citations for not turning it in or using it. Tell us the full story.
    Well lets see if I can cover ALL of your questions which should have been self explanatory since I am "whining" about it.
    Duplicate, as in deputy stole my last one and had to buy a new one, yeah the one I have now is, so does that mean the ahole is going to take it the next time he stops me???? Why even issue a duplicate if it is not good for driving. No it wasn't expired. No is wasn't suspended, revoked, cancelled, disqualified , someone else's, altered, damaged, incorrect name, address,or any other bs excuse you can come up with on protecting the thief. I don't have a record, never been arrested, never had a ticket so no unpaid fines, have insurance, sticker on tag was up to date. Can you think of any other bs reason that can justify you taking my license to keep for whatever illegal reason you intend to use if for? I DIDNT GET A CITATION, COURT APPEARANCE, NOTHING?!!! Does that answer your stupid a** questions? And if the deputy did think it was any of the above, and did legally take it, where the f*** is the report, because your records division sure doesn't have it. Your agency has already been contacted and is conducting an investigation, so let's just wait to see what his explanation is. I'm really curious now that you've demanded an explanation and none of the above is true. What's the matter, getting a cramp?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast