Polygraph Exam Experience
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unregistered

Polygraph Exam Experience

Before I get into the specifics (not that this matters) I am an out of state candidate who is looking to relocate to Florida and become a State Trooper with FHP. I currently hold a full time job working with disadvantage youths looking to better their education and lives overall. Additionally, I have a bachelors degree with honors, one single ticket for improper left turn, no criminal record or arrests, bilingual and never been in trouble for anything at any job or ever in school and am married. I know that FHP has low pay and some issues but this is truly the only career that I see myself doing.

Needless to say, I recently took my polygraph exam a few weeks ago and wanted to get some insight regarding my specific experience. I want to preface this by saying that the Lt. was very courteous and the experience was much more relaxed than I had anticipated. I filled out the entire packet and meet with the Lt. to begin the polygraph examination but prior to hooking me up to the machine he quickly went over my questions where things took a turn. First of all, there was a question about drinking underage to which I answered "no" on the booklet. I'm not sure what was going through my head when I circled "no" because I had consumed alcohol prior to turning 21 and I had absolutely no intention of misleading the Lt. I explained to the Lt. that I mistakenly put down "no" but that I had in fact consumed alcohol underage. He continues through the booklet and asks me if I have ever stolen anything to which I answer "no" which was exactly what I circled in the booklet. He goes on to tell me that if I ever found a dollar on the floor and did not report it to the police that it was considered stealing, or if I ever took a pen from a job or if I ever borrowed a video game and never returned it are all examples of stealing. I told him that I understand and that I never intended to mislead him. He talks to me for the next 10-15 minutes (without being on the machine) and sends me back to the room and tells me to go change my answers and to explain to other candidate that if he had every found money, taken a pen, etc that it was considered stealing. After meticulously reviewing the booklet I go back into his office, he quickly reviews the booklet and hooks me up to the machine.

At this point he tells me that there will be 3 sets of 7 questions to which I must answer "yes" for the first 3 and "no" for the last 4 regardless of their truthfulness. I go through the 21 questions which are asked by a computer and have nothing to do with the questions in the booklet and he tells me "that's it, you're good to go." I was rather surprised because I thought that the questions would be similar to the ones in the booklet but that never occurred. He told me that I did fine and that I would hear back from FHP within 4-6 weeks. My question is why didn't the Lt. ask me any questions himself or have the computer ask me questions that were in the booklet? Is this type of method common for a polygraph exam or did the Lt. not want to waste his time with me since perhaps he thought that I intended to mislead him? It hasn't been four weeks yet so I guess it's normal that I have yet to hear anything back. (Sorry that this is so long I just wanted to be a specific as possible.)

Thanks in advance.

Unregistered
    Worst case scenario is that you'll have shown no deception and will be invited to the academy. Best case is that you'll not be offered employment with FHP and make a better future for yourself.

Unregistered

Theft

The Lt needs to take some law classes. The key element of theft is did the person intentionally deprive the owner of the property. The dollar on the floor with no clear owner, and no intent to deprive the unknown owner of the dollar is not theft.'NEVER change your answers before, during, or after a poly!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Worst case scenario is that you'll have shown no deception and will be invited to the academy. Best case is that you'll not be offered employment with FHP and make a better future for yourself.
    I am fully aware of many of the problems facing the agency and specially when it comes to pay but like I said before I am planning on relocating and this is truly the only career that I will enjoy. If down the line I find myself not liking the agency or what I would be doing then I will take it from there but for now this is what I want to do and I intend to follow through regardless of the issues. The state that I am from is extremely competitive since its the highest paid state for law enforcement and I have no connections whatsoever (very political here). My only real chance is to take the civil service test, which was delayed this year because the massive amount of applicants still left on many cities hiring lists, and aside from that the civil service test gives preference to veterans meaning that even if I score really well (high 90's) I will be waiting at least 1.5 years to get hired, in this scenario my degree would be practically worthless. Aside from that I have always wanted to pursue a career specifically in a State agency as opposed to a city agency.

Unregistered
    The Lt needs to take some law classes. The key element of theft is did the person intentionally deprive the owner of the property. The dollar on the floor with no clear owner, and no intent to deprive the unknown owner of the dollar is not theft.'NEVER change your answers before, during, or after a poly!
    I agree with you because I have never intentionally stolen anything. Of course I have taken a few pens and paper clips from work, borrowed a shirt from my brother and never returned it and found $20 on the floor one time but I honestly don't consider those things stealing because it wasn't something that I conscientiously intended to do. Anyways, since I did in fact change my answer on the booklet does that mean that I probably failed the polygraph examination? Thank you for your help.

Unregistered
    The Lt. has to show that answers in the book were changed to make it look as if he is doing his job. A lot of the polygraph examiners will not make a decision, and your file gets sent to Tallahassee for staff review. Basically, if the examiner will not make a decision, your file gets sent to Tallahassee and they will decide if you move forward. It will probably take about four weeks before you will hear anything.

Unregistered
    98.6% are sent for staff review. I don't agree with polygraphs, they are highly subjective, that's why they are not allowed in court. Voice stress and an oral interview is the best. Don't worry about it, I'm sure it will work out for you.

Unregistered
    Good luck and i sicerely hope you hear something soon.

Unregistered
    You're an idiot!

Unregistered
    Good evening everyone, I'm the person who started the thread and I just wanted to let everyone know that I passed the polygraph exam. Currently, I am gathering a few documents which will take me a few weeks, specially those eight letters of recommendation. Once I get those documents I will schedule my psych, eye and physical exam. Thanks to those who took the time to give me some insight!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast