On Campus Bike Thief with a Gun, Hope the moat was covered

Unregistered

On Campus Bike Thief with a Gun, Hope the moat was covered

an armed thief on campus but the North Zone off campus in Hillsborough County is the focus of our department.

Tell us how this makes any sense at all?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    an armed thief on campus but the North Zone off campus in Hillsborough County is the focus of our department.

Tell us how this makes any sense at all?
    Because it's not our focus? It's two officers supplementing the county where students live, much like every other major university, most work off campus. I suggest you people looking for an excuse to ***** drive over to UCF and see what they have to deal with off campus. I'd also suggest sending your complaints to Long and the rest of the administration because this is what they want. You can also complain to the county because it's what they want. Apparently some think USFPD is just running rampant with no supervision. I do agree they need to communicate better what's going on and why. Dumping an effort like this on the department with no context or explanation is a mistake.

Unregistered
    Because it's not our focus? It's two officers supplementing the county where students live, much like every other major university, most work off campus. I suggest you people looking for an excuse to ***** drive over to UCF and see what they have to deal with off campus. I'd also suggest sending your complaints to Long and the rest of the administration because this is what they want. You can also complain to the county because it's what they want. Apparently some think USFPD is just running rampant with no supervision. I do agree they need to communicate better what's going on and why. Dumping an effort like this on the department with no context or explanation is a mistake.

UCF' s sworn numbers are larger and have substanial support from their University and surrounding agencies. Maybe our Command staff should visit them and learn a few things.

By the way those 2 officers (Plus dont forget our 2 additional traffic/dui officers) are doing nothing but TRAFFIC out there and do not address crime issues such as property thefts by indiviuals armed with Firearms on a College Campus.

Our sworn staffing is the highest its ever been but Patrol is short staffed.

Lots of ideas in place that have no substantial planning behind them to make them work. It seems to be the USFPD way we do just about everything. Its time to start over.

Unregistered
    Totally agree with that last post. A huge problems is about to be opened up. The areas around campus are some of the highest crime rates for both TPD and HCSO, why on Earth, would be even want to open the door to start using our manpower, which is need on campus, to supplement two large police departments that have huge resources given to them. I can see the help on the traffic enforcement and traffic accidents, but the rest of it....we are not prepared to handle in anyway and still do an outstanding job on our campus.

Unregistered
    UCF' s sworn numbers are larger and have substanial support from their University and surrounding agencies. Maybe our Command staff should visit them and learn a few things.

By the way those 2 officers (Plus dont forget our 2 additional traffic/dui officers) are doing nothing but TRAFFIC out there and do not address crime issues such as property thefts by indiviuals armed with Firearms on a College Campus.

Our sworn staffing is the highest its ever been but Patrol is short staffed.

Lots of ideas in place that have no substantial planning behind them to make them work. It seems to be the USFPD way we do just about everything. Its time to start over.
    You're right, contrary to usual leo affairs behavior I agree. There's no arguing these points. It would be easy to say UCF had to start somewhere but with the track record here it's hard to argue any of that.

Unregistered
    The reality is we don't really know what they're doing or what the plan is. I've heard some things recently, albeit second and third hand, that actually make it sound like a good idea that makes sense. The problem is the unbelievably poor communication. One day there wasn't a zone 5, next day there was. How they don't understand why this creates problems is beyond me.

Unregistered
    I cant believe that this University is NOT demanding that we do something about the rising level of thefts on Campus especially in light of the arrest of an armed thug looking to steal bikes. I wonder what the others he was with that day who fled were hiding?

Throwing more cops at Zone 5, Off Campus Traffic, North zone apt complexes, off campus bike patrols. THIS GOES AGAINST ALL RATIONAL THOUGHT. OUR CRIME GOES UP, WE GO AND PATROL SOMEWHERE ELSE????

I really hope our command staff is being ordered to do this because if this is their idea we're being lead by idiots.

Unregistered
    I cant believe that this University is NOT demanding that we do something about the rising level of thefts on Campus especially in light of the arrest of an armed thug looking to steal bikes. I wonder what the others he was with that day who fled were hiding?

Throwing more cops at Zone 5, Off Campus Traffic, North zone apt complexes, off campus bike patrols. THIS GOES AGAINST ALL RATIONAL THOUGHT. OUR CRIME GOES UP, WE GO AND PATROL SOMEWHERE ELSE????

I really hope our command staff is being ordered to do this because if this is their idea we're being lead by idiots.
    Calm down, one of our idiot bike theives with a gun doesn't constitute a crime wave. There is no problem with crime at USF. If you think our crime rate is high or so high that it's unmanageable you really need to get out more.

Unregistered
    What we have going on is a total rehashing of Longo's original plan of taking on all the areas around the campus where students live. His planned called for a competitive pay scale though, mirroring the surrounding agencies for the huge extra work load the officers at USF PD would be expected to do, considering all of the surrounding areas are full of shit bags and transients. One major change from his plan though, which is negative is putting huge numbers of workers into a created SDU unit. All of those numbers will be needed for the patrol bureau if we are to accomplish the goals of taking on the "zone 5" area.

Unregistered
    SDU is a waste of manpower that needs to be disbanded. If they want a bike or DUI squad then call them that and give them a defined set of goals. That would be a supported advancement for our department. No one has a problem with specialty units. It's on par with other agencies and provides officers the opportunity to do other things. What we're doing now is amateur campus cop bullshit. Zone 5 seems like a logical next step in our progression but the manpower devoted to SDU will make it impossible at this point. If it's not covered all day every day it's not a zone, it's a dog and pony show.