After reading here, I'm not so sure about a career option as a Trooper. - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I've noticed a vast array of negativity here, it's really starting to make me second guess my decision to become a trooper. Is it really as bad as what I read here? I did almost six years in the Army as an 11B, I came home due to my fathers health problems. I was/am seriously considering becoming a trooper, however, with so much negativity it makes me uneasy.

I'm born and raised in St. Johns county and the troopers I've talked to said it was a good career pathway. Does your AO really make that big of a difference? If so. How hard would it be to end up close to my home county as in Clay, Putnam, Flagler or even St. Johns?

All incite is appreciated. Airborne!

-VM
    I was once in your position. I'm a former 11 bang bang myself. The short of it, your area does make a big difference. It seems that certain parts of the state really drive down morale from their local leadership, and others have higher morale in other areas. St. Johns County is a good assignment from what I gathered after speaking to some of my classmates. The odds of you getting St. Johns would be slim because a lot of guys left Duval County to go to St. Johns. If you want to work in Duval County, you will be working one crash after the next all day.

I will tell you that FHP is not a bad place to start, but use the academy to get certified and stay out of trouble, then apply at other agencies. Thank you for your service brother, sua sponte.

Unregistered
    I'm also a former 11B. From one grunt to another . . .stay away from this place. I'm looking for a different job now. Quasi military....FHP doesn't have a fricking clue what the military is all about. They blow smoke up your kiester in hope's you'll exhale FHP smoke then try to put the fire out in your gut with Kool Aid. You sound like you want to do police work. FHP does not do police work and if you do they'll fire your azz or give you a suspension which affects any job you try to get with any other agency you try to go to. If this is such a great place why do we lose roughly 100-150 (or more) guys every year. If you positively absolutely have to have a job then apply but leave as soon as you can.

Unregistered
    FHP used to be a great place to work, then starting in 1990 the new hires really went down hill and FHP has progressively gotten worse as the last of those hired in the mid 1980's are retiring. Now you pretty much have a department that is filled with people hired from 1990 forward to today.

The hiring standards were lowered starting in about 1988 but it took a couple of years before they really started to negatively impact FHP.

Now days you have computers in the cars and you are monitored from the moment you check on until the moment you check off. Before the computers troopers were trusted and we did the job without micro management that goes on today. You had some freedom, now days every move you make is second and triple guessed.

Police work is not a field I would recommend anyone go into today no matter the department.

Junior Member LEO Affairs Recruit

Job

VM I am not a trooper, i am a city cop in south florida. I f all you want to do is write tickets, accident reports and do traffic details then become a trooper. I believe that most of them are decent, great officers, and above all professionals. For what I have always heard the money is not there, specially from west palm beach up. FYI sheriff departments and city pd's make more money and have lots of places to go, up and lateral to different assignments. To give you an idea as a city or county cop from WPB down you can make close to $100,000 a year after about 5-7 years, yes you may have to work extra jobs or overtime but the $$ is there.

Unregistered

Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Dondiego9999 View Post
    VM I am not a trooper, i am a city cop in south florida. I f all you want to do is write tickets, accident reports and do traffic details then become a trooper. I believe that most of them are decent, great officers, and above all professionals. For what I have always heard the money is not there, specially from west palm beach up. FYI sheriff departments and city pd's make more money and have lots of places to go, up and lateral to different assignments. To give you an idea as a city or county cop from WPB down you can make close to $100,000 a year after about 5-7 years, yes you may have to work extra jobs or overtime but the $$ is there.
    We as troopers are capable of doing more however we are held back by our adminisatraions and collective higher ups, our pay is also abysmal when compared to other agencies out there as a previous poster said its a great place to be certified and its got some of the best professionals ive had the privilege of working with however our state governor and other politicians have no respect for the danger we face as well as the level of commitment and training we have...do whats best for you and your family, you served the country in one of the most difficult and austere professions the military has to offer so I respect you either way just think long and hard about it

Unregistered
    It's a great stepping stone to better and greater things. I enjoyed my time w/ the patrol, I learned a lot. It defiantly has it's ups and downs, but so does every other agency. Some people do very well here long term, others... don't. You make it what it is for you.

Been There...

No Way

Take it from me. I retired after 25 years with the Patrol. There is no way I would recommend FHP to anyone I cared about. The leadership from Sergeant on up is out of touch and lost touch with all reality. They supervise by remote control (ie watch all your videos, watch AVL and send out email to address problems with whole groups instead of addressing an individual who is not performing).
    I look back and miss my friends......but not FHP.
    Good luck and stay safe wherever you become employed.

Unregistered
    Take the night classes jso offers to get certified then go to st johns s.o..... outstanding place to work and live...

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm also a former 11B. From one grunt to another . . .stay away from this place. I'm looking for a different job now. Quasi military....FHP doesn't have a fricking clue what the military is all about. They blow smoke up your kiester in hope's you'll exhale FHP smoke then try to put the fire out in your gut with Kool Aid. You sound like you want to do police work. FHP does not do police work and if you do they'll fire your azz or give you a suspension which affects any job you try to get with any other agency you try to go to. If this is such a great place why do we lose roughly 100-150 (or more) guys every year. If you positively absolutely have to have a job then apply but leave as soon as you can.
    Says an obvious loser! FHP is not a bad career, just do your job. Like any other place you get out of it what you put in.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Been There... View Post
    Take it from me. I retired after 25 years with the Patrol. There is no way I would recommend FHP to anyone I cared about. The leadership from Sergeant on up is out of touch and lost touch with all reality. They supervise by remote control (ie watch all your videos, watch AVL and send out email to address problems with whole groups instead of addressing an individual who is not performing).
    I look back and miss my friends......but not FHP.
    Good luck and stay safe wherever you become employed.
    How the hell do you know what's going on now old timer??????? Are you one of those "retired on duty" individuals who got run off and hold a grudge? You have to know that every LEO agency expects you to do your job, just like FHP. I to am former military and have had no problems here. Do what's expected of you within the areas you can control and there is no career problems with FHP.

No one should ever come on this site seeking any career advise. It is mostly filled with malcontents and disgruntled former members with no honor.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast