After reading here, I'm not so sure about a career option as a Trooper.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

After reading here, I'm not so sure about a career option as a Trooper.

I've noticed a vast array of negativity here, it's really starting to make me second guess my decision to become a trooper. Is it really as bad as what I read here? I did almost six years in the Army as an 11B, I came home due to my fathers health problems. I was/am seriously considering becoming a trooper, however, with so much negativity it makes me uneasy.

I'm born and raised in St. Johns county and the troopers I've talked to said it was a good career pathway. Does your AO really make that big of a difference? If so. How hard would it be to end up close to my home county as in Clay, Putnam, Flagler or even St. Johns?

All incite is appreciated. Airborne!

-VM

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I've noticed a vast array of negativity here, it's really starting to make me second guess my decision to become a trooper. Is it really as bad as what I read here? I did almost six years in the Army as an 11B, I came home due to my fathers health problems. I was/am seriously considering becoming a trooper, however, with so much negativity it makes me uneasy.

I'm born and raised in St. Johns county and the troopers I've talked to said it was a good career pathway. Does your AO really make that big of a difference? If so. How hard would it be to end up close to my home county as in Clay, Putnam, Flagler or even St. Johns?

-VM
    In my opinion, FHP is a sinking ship. There really is no brotherhood in our agency. I've been in 3 different troops and it's just a different troop, same shit. You have 2 options: 1- apply and complete 6 months to a year on solo patrol. The rumors of "you have to do 2 years or they will charge you for the academy" is complete BS. Put in an application once you get you state cert. So in other words, apply to which ever dept while you're still in the academy. 2- Don't bother with FHP, Just apply with the SO or local PD. It's a much rewarding decision.

Unregistered
    In my opinion, FHP is a sinking ship. There really is no brotherhood in our agency. I've been in 3 different troops and it's just a different troop, same shit. You have 2 options: 1- apply and complete 6 months to a year on solo patrol. The rumors of "you have to do 2 years or they will charge you for the academy" is complete BS. Put in an application once you get you state cert. So in other words, apply to which ever dept while you're still in the academy. 2- Don't bother with FHP, Just apply with the SO or local PD. It's a much rewarding decision.
    Being a Florida State Trooper has been a blessing for me. Are there morale issues? Yes. Should we have better pay? YES! But this is no longer a sinking ship.

We have a command staff in place looking to correct the wrongs. Just know that it won't be like an episode from Cops. We mostly do traffic enforcement and some days we take the bad guys to jail. I think it's a great balance then dealing with crappy calls in a crappy neighborhood day in and day out. Don't let this forum discourage you.

Unregistered
    FHP command is just re-arranging the chairs on the Titanic while the band plays on. They are only interested in padding their own retirements and keeping their cushy posts. It's really amazing that anyone would consider the FHP as a career when there are so many better options out there. Good luck with whatever you decide to do but my advice is to avoid the FHP.

Unregistered

-VM
    We do not need you anyway if you're too scared to come here

Unregistered
    Sounds like he is too smart!!!! Go to a local PD or SO. Do some research on their budget siuation and pick an agency that has a sound financial future and enjoy a rewarding career.....

Unregistered

Don't listen to this site

FHP has been good to me for 24 years. Everywhere has its ups and downs, but overall I like it here better. I started as a city cop, became a trooper, when to the sheriffs office, and finally came back to be a Trooper. Most of the people on this site are not LEO's, so don't listen to them. Those that are and are complaining, you knew what you were getting into when you came here. I was told "you will never be a millionaire here boy".

Unregistered
    Hence why we are warning those looking to come here that there are much better options out there where you can make a lot more money. Knowledge is power.

Unregistered
    I do appreciate those whom have taken the time fom your day to apease me. I was offered contract work. I figure Ill go pursue a degree until I find my way.

We do not need you anyway if you're too scared to come here
    You know nothing of fear. RLTW - 2/75

Unregistered
    FHP has been good to me for 24 years. Everywhere has its ups and downs, but overall I like it here better. I started as a city cop, became a trooper, when to the sheriffs office, and finally came back to be a Trooper. Most of the people on this site are not LEO's, so don't listen to them. Those that are and are complaining, you knew what you were getting into when you came here. I was told "you will never be a millionaire here boy".
    I can see that end of the spectrum. I can understand that people need to vent, however It can really impact an individuals life decisions. I really find the quasi - military environment extremely appealing, in fact I feel like a lost puppy without it. I'm going to pursue an A.A. and then make a final decision. I value the education and feel it will advance my professionalism and marketability. There is also a sence of fulfillment.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast