After reading here, I'm not so sure about a career option as a Trooper. - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Says an obvious loser! FHP is not a bad career, just do your job. Like any other place you get out of it what you put in.
    You're so full of crap man. I have heard the "you get out of it what you put in" BS line for years! At FHP you work traffic and that is all. Work crashes, write tickets, arrest drunks, and repeat. It's the same old crap day after day. On top of that, the brass are always breathing down your neck, trying to write you up, etc.

When I was looking to leave FHP, I remember my supervisors telling how FHP was a good job and money wasn't everything. Well guess what, I'm gone and shortly after they left too. At one time we had a recruiter in Troop C that actually applied elsewhere. That speaks volumes.

Unregistered
    You're so full of crap man. I have heard the "you get out of it what you put in" BS line for years! At FHP you work traffic and that is all. Work crashes, write tickets, arrest drunks, and repeat. It's the same old crap day after day. On top of that, the brass are always breathing down your neck, trying to write you up, etc.

When I was looking to leave FHP, I remember my supervisors telling how FHP was a good job and money wasn't everything. Well guess what, I'm gone and shortly after they left too. At one time we had a recruiter in Troop C that actually applied elsewhere. That speaks volumes.
    What are you trying to say dude? Police work in general is the "repeat." Answer the barking dog, my 12 year old wont go to school, my GPS was stolen out of my car, arrest the drunk who beat the crap out of his old lady, and repeat. Also, do you think this agency is the only agency that has members that apply elsewhere?

Maybe you should ask yourself why you feel the brass was always breathing down your neck trying to write you up? I just love you losers that come on this site with the "I am gone" statement. Just confirms my loser perspective.

Unregistered
    What are you trying to say dude? Police work in general is the "repeat." Answer the barking dog, my 12 year old wont go to school, my GPS was stolen out of my car, arrest the drunk who beat the crap out of his old lady, and repeat. Also, do you think this agency is the only agency that has members that apply elsewhere?

Maybe you should ask yourself why you feel the brass was always breathing down your neck trying to write you up? I just love you losers that come on this site with the "I am gone" statement. Just confirms my loser perspective.
    You do realize that in an agency of decent size there are literally dozens of paths you can go after the mandatory one to two years "on the road" right? Look at an agency like PBSO. Bomb squad, Marine Unit, Aviation, Narcotics, Gang Unit, TAC, Narcotics, Legal Division, Detective Bureau, Joint Task Force etc. etc. Now, PBSO is a mega-agency but even your smaller counties and cities have different units that have nothing to do with answering standard calls for service. For some reason, many who come in here only talk about the road patrol side of non-FHP law enforcement--- ignoring the fact tha many agencies aren't as one-dimensional as FHP.

Also, as for your second comment about why the brass was always breathing down someone's neck, trying to write people up, the answer is rather obvious. For many years, that was how you demonstrated that you were a good supervisor. Writing people up was something that was looked favorably upon when it came time for promotions. FHP has become a numbers game in the past few years. It's all about numbers, numbers, numbers that the Troop Commander can show at the STAR reports. If the numbers aren't up, the TC has to explain him/her self.

Unregistered
    You do realize that in an agency of decent size there are literally dozens of paths you can go after the mandatory one to two years "on the road" right? Look at an agency like PBSO. Bomb squad, Marine Unit, Aviation, Narcotics, Gang Unit, TAC, Narcotics, Legal Division, Detective Bureau, Joint Task Force etc. etc. Now, PBSO is a mega-agency but even your smaller counties and cities have different units that have nothing to do with answering standard calls for service. For some reason, many who come in here only talk about the road patrol side of non-FHP law enforcement--- ignoring the fact tha many agencies aren't as one-dimensional as FHP.

Also, as for your second comment about why the brass was always breathing down someone's neck, trying to write people up, the answer is rather obvious. For many years, that was how you demonstrated that you were a good supervisor. Writing people up was something that was looked favorably upon when it came time for promotions. FHP has become a numbers game in the past few years. It's all about numbers, numbers, numbers that the Troop Commander can show at the STAR reports. If the numbers aren't up, the TC has to explain him/her self.
    You do realize that specialty units within these organizations a small percentages of the agency as a whole. You just don't say I want to be a bomb tech and poof you are one. You have to show initiative, drive, and most of all demonstrate good job performance to be considered. If you look at all LEO's in the state these specialty units you speak of are really a small percentage of job all LEO's do which is primarily Patrol Duties. Don't try to make your point of not liking FHP by living in some super police fantasy world.

As far as your second point. We have a job to do and there is nothing wrong with supervisors expecting you to do the job you are paid to do. The other superfluous crap is just that, there is no documentation you could present that any supervisor was looked favorable upon at promotion time because they wrote someone up. Also with that said what if the employee needed wrote up? You are living in the past Dude!!! Move on.

Unregistered

Lightbulb

I'll jump in here for one comment...

I don't mind the "rinse and repeat" work of what we do. However, in 5 years with a local SO, I'll be making over 60k. I hate bringing up the money issue, but you have to consider it as an opinion for another trooper and his or her mindset. FHP is mainly traffic and we're expected to be on the road writing tickets. Approximately 70-80 tickets is expected a month from the average trooper. At least with the local SO we don't have to write any tickets whatsoever. If you want to write 200 warnings, that is completely fine. AND PLEASE don't tell me FHP has discretion to write warnings rather than tickets. You guys have an unwritten quota for a certain amount of ticket per month.

Now, from the way you write and express yourself, I'm assuming you have been on the Patrol for quite some time now. You probably were grandfathered in with the step plan. Your salary is probably much higher than the recruits coming out of the academy. It doesn't shock me a hypocrite like you would say "just do you job". Just put yourself in his shoes, will ya?

As far as the other trooper was saying, I don't necessarily agree with how he is trying to express himself, but there are more advantages working locally. Few examples: When dealing with a crash (S1 or multiple vehicle's or city/school bus with tons of passengers), FHP will assign 1 trooper to work it. Which in my opinion is BS. The local boys assign 2 and even on some occassions more than 2. 1 guy will take the crash, another will take the DUI and others stay on scene and collect data. With FHP, you're solo... DEAL WITH IT. If the crash happens late in shift, you're collecting OT. I don't necessarily like that. Also, Evidence! FHP, you take the evidence, package it, write the 5 forms needed to submit evidence, submit it to the drop box, get your paperwork kicked back, re-do the paperwork, have your supv get a nastygram saying you didn't package it the right way, ETC. Local boys, go to the station... hand evidence to civilian contractor who works the evidence room, turn in your form, Goodbye. Changing tires, if you bust your tire on a local road, A Trooper has to change it! No if, ands or buts. Locals will never change a tire.

Things like this will make or break a job and how different it operates. I hope this will clear out some of the arguments. Have a great weekend.

Unregistered
    Says an obvious loser! FHP is not a bad career, just do your job. Like any other place you get out of it what you put in.
    Obvious loser? Spoken just like a person who's never served their country. No doubt another Military wanna be. Go get some mud on your boots "Draft Dodger" or someone who's never served in combat then come back and talk to me.

Unregistered
    Obvious loser? Spoken just like a person who's never served their country. No doubt another Military wanna be. Go get some mud on your boots "Draft Dodger" or someone who's never served in combat then come back and talk to me.
    Sniffle***Sniffle

Unregistered
    You do realize that specialty units within these organizations a small percentages of the agency as a whole. You just don't say I want to be a bomb tech and poof you are one. You have to show initiative, drive, and most of all demonstrate good job performance to be considered. If you look at all LEO's in the state these specialty units you speak of are really a small percentage of job all LEO's do which is primarily Patrol Duties. Don't try to make your point of not liking FHP by living in some super police fantasy world.

As far as your second point. We have a job to do and there is nothing wrong with supervisors expecting you to do the job you are paid to do. The other superfluous crap is just that, there is no documentation you could present that any supervisor was looked favorable upon at promotion time because they wrote someone up. Also with that said what if the employee needed wrote up? You are living in the past Dude!!! Move on.
    I think the point everyone is making is that "at least" another LEO Agency is providing upward mobility. Other Agency's have manpower slots to fill for those Specialty’s. Yes they might be slim but the opportunity is there. You want to be a bomb tech or work Robbery/Homicide or whatever... mobility is there. With FHP you can only go to THI or promote direct to Sergeant. Yes FHP has Drug Units/OIG/BOI or whatever they are calling themselves these days but the road units are always robbed of the manpower to fill these units. In Hillsborough County you will work 5-8 crashes everyday and try to make the policy contacts of 2.5 contacts per hour while enroute to another call due to manpower shortages. It's the shortages and working you azz off everyday plus doing everything else you have to do that goes with crash investigations and ticket writing. Then if you stop a car while enroute to another call and you get a warrant or some other criminal offense you've just dumped your call on your zone partner. Other police agencies have manpower slots allocated for detectives/narcotics or whatever for upward mobility or just doing something different from traffic. If this is living in a "super police fantasy world" then so be it. FHP does not offer any of this. If you enjoy traffic then I am happy for you but SO's/PD's also have a traffic unit and I can guarantee you that just about every other law enforcement agency in the state pays more than FHP.

As far as your second paragraph . . .I totally disagree with you. Ever hear of . . .DAVID BRIERTON? If you didn't fire people you were not getting promoted. And the people he promoted were just like him. When you start promoting people from Captain to LtCol you lose the respect and confidence of those you are supposed to lead. Don't forget you can't even get that kind of promotion even if you win the Congressional Medal of Honor. I could go on and on about the screw ups of management. (notice I didn't say leadership!!) Hopefully Spalding will be able to get rid of the people Brierton promoted. If not... those individuals will grow and become a bigger malignant cancer to the agency. In short when Brierton was promoted I knew then FHP had lost it's way. And when Brierton was suspended for abuse of Federal funds that confirmed everything I thought about this agency. Yes, me like so many others, currently have our applications out for other employment. And yes the unwritten rule in FHP for our managers is to fire and discipline as many people as you can in hope of getting promoted. Sorry if you don't like it . . .but that's the reality of our Agency.

Unregistered
    I think the point everyone is making is that "at least" another LEO Agency is providing upward mobility. Other Agency's have manpower slots to fill for those Specialty’s. Yes they might be slim but the opportunity is there. You want to be a bomb tech or work Robbery/Homicide or whatever... mobility is there. With FHP you can only go to THI or promote direct to Sergeant. Yes FHP has Drug Units/OIG/BOI or whatever they are calling themselves these days but the road units are always robbed of the manpower to fill these units. In Hillsborough County you will work 5-8 crashes everyday and try to make the policy contacts of 2.5 contacts per hour while enroute to another call due to manpower shortages. It's the shortages and working you azz off everyday plus doing everything else you have to do that goes with crash investigations and ticket writing. Then if you stop a car while enroute to another call and you get a warrant or some other criminal offense you've just dumped your call on your zone partner. Other police agencies have manpower slots allocated for detectives/narcotics or whatever for upward mobility or just doing something different from traffic. If this is living in a "super police fantasy world" then so be it. FHP does not offer any of this. If you enjoy traffic then I am happy for you but SO's/PD's also have a traffic unit and I can guarantee you that just about every other law enforcement agency in the state pays more than FHP.

As far as your second paragraph . . .I totally disagree with you. Ever hear of . . .DAVID BRIERTON? If you didn't fire people you were not getting promoted. And the people he promoted were just like him. When you start promoting people from Captain to LtCol you lose the respect and confidence of those you are supposed to lead. Don't forget you can't even get that kind of promotion even if you win the Congressional Medal of Honor. I could go on and on about the screw ups of management. (notice I didn't say leadership!!) Hopefully Spalding will be able to get rid of the people Brierton promoted. If not... those individuals will grow and become a bigger malignant cancer to the agency. In short when Brierton was promoted I knew then FHP had lost it's way. And when Brierton was suspended for abuse of Federal funds that confirmed everything I thought about this agency. Yes, me like so many others, currently have our applications out for other employment. And yes the unwritten rule in FHP for our managers is to fire and discipline as many people as you can in hope of getting promoted. Sorry if you don't like it . . .but that's the reality of our Agency.
    Man you proved your point very well. Which is; you are a bottom dweller living with all your inadequacies of the past. Man up and stop sounding like you have the intellect of a hormonal 13 year old.

Unregistered

The truth always hurts! Great and accurate post!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast