County of assignment - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Unregistered
    There are some big troops, no way that can work.

Its simple, You should be able to live anywhere in your district and 30 miles from your county of assignment.

Unregistered
    Moral to story, I can work crashes or other calls outside my "County" of assignment, I just can't live in that County. Yes, we all know it happens all the time in the less populated counties. Last post hit in on the head, live within county of assignment or 30 minutes from County.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    One of Brierton's parting gifts to us was eliminating the park and ride option.
    I never saw anything in writing passed down on this, but yes - I've been told no on can park/drive anymore. Pretty sure even the ones that had been ok'd to park/drive in the past, were forced to find another place to live that was closer.

Very similar to what I heard about 'temp housing' like house trailers not being allowed anymore. Total BS.

Unregistered
    All other Florida state law enforcement agencies (ABT, FWC, FDLE, etc) allow their people to live more than 30 miles from assignment, and I don't think they measure from a CITY.

1. FHP primarily works crashes in the county areas (not in the cities), so the requirements should NOT be based on the city limits. This 'city' requirement has outlived whatever purpose (political or otherwise) it might have served years ago as times and needs have changed.

2. The policy should be decided based on the benefit of the majority, not minority. Not based on whether it will be a perfect fit for a single county, like Monroe.
    If the policy was changed to allow 'county' then it could also allow troop commander memos to address special situations (like park/drive in Monroe for example or whatever) within the allowed 30 miles from county.

I doubt any of this would work without bringing back park/drive.

3. I'm not trying to give away my drive time. But, not everyone in the agency lives far enough that the agency would have to pay them any different. It would only be a small number of people. At least for the next few years.

4. It could be allowed in the policy as an individual basis option where maybe there is an agreement about getting to your zone and requirements for offsetting time earned in the process? Something so that the concerns of a few don't prevent the idea from moving forward.

Unregistered
    Some agencies measure driving miles from the office location.

Unregistered
    Some agencies measure driving miles from the office location.
    This is correct. Orlando Police requires Officers to live within 35 miles of the headquarters building downtown.

Unregistered
    Some state agencies do as well.

Unregistered
    Or, how about what many other agencies do: require you to reimburse the department (division/state in this case) for mileage in excess of the policy limit. Example: you live 35 miles from your city or county of assignment, but you owe FHP for those 5 extra miles at whatever the mileage rate is (.50/mile or whatever) each way - that way, if it makes the difference between being able to buy a house or not, it might be worth a $5 deduction each shift, plus you're not in the car and on the road and not getting paid, and brass is happy because the taxpayers aren't on the hook for you driving from wherever you want on their dime. You want to live further away, fine, just ante up the extra money to cover the costs.

Unregistered
    Or, how about what many other agencies do: require you to reimburse the department (division/state in this case) for mileage in excess of the policy limit. Example: you live 35 miles from your city or county of assignment, but you owe FHP for those 5 extra miles at whatever the mileage rate is (.50/mile or whatever) each way - that way, if it makes the difference between being able to buy a house or not, it might be worth a $5 deduction each shift, plus you're not in the car and on the road and not getting paid, and brass is happy because the taxpayers aren't on the hook for you driving from wherever you want on their dime. You want to live further away, fine, just ante up the extra money to cover the costs.
    Pay the state back with what food stamps?

Unregistered
    112.061 Per diem and travel expenses of public officers, employees, and authorized persons.—
    (4) OFFICIAL HEADQUARTERS.—The official headquarters of an officer or employee assigned to an office shall be the city or town in which the office is located except that:
    (a) The official headquarters of a person located in the field shall be the city or town nearest to the area where the majority of the person’s work is performed, or such other city, town, or area as may be designated by the agency head provided that in all cases such designation must be in the best interests of the agency and not for the convenience of the person.
    (b) When any state employee is stationed in any city or town for a period of over 30 continuous workdays, such city or town shall be deemed to be the employee’s official headquarters, and he or she shall not be allowed per diem or subsistence, as provided in this section, after the said period of 30 continuous workdays has elapsed, unless this period of time is extended by the express approval of the agency head or his or her designee.

Can agencies even have 'county' of assignments, instead of cities?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123