Out Of Control Crime
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

Out Of Control Crime

Am I the only one who thinks that the Sheriff's and Chief's hug a Thug mentality is the reason for the spike in murders and drug crimes? The thugs know that no one is going to chase them. They have much more freedom to sling as much dope as they want. There are no worries about being chased or captured. The K-9 unit is much more reserved. Officers have to be concerned for their jobs and being complained on. Let's face it, criminals have to fear Law Enforcement for there to be a healthy deterrent to crime.

Unregistered

show me

Show me some stats to prove crime is spiking. Show my some proof that drug dealers are selling without fear of being caught. Do you think catching drug dealers makes a difference? Do you not see them bond out the same day? Do you not see somebody pop up in their place while they are gone? I agree that we should be able to chase, but crime is not up.

Unregistered
    You must be blind to think that crime isn't up. Either that or you drank the Kool-aid. Crime stats may be down because there are less proactive arrest. Obviously, you don't work patrol. Show me the stats where crime is down and then I'll explain to you how UCR works and how the numbers are sugar coated. Don't you have some Morgan campaign signs to build?

Unregistered

What about TAC and the Air Unit?

TAC was a strong unit also. They searched a lot of cars. Bad guys were hesitant to carry guns in their vehicles. I also think that having an air unit deterred crime and added to the professionalism of the agency. Gone and gone.

Unregistered
    Remember about a year ago when the dealers were shooting each other, every week, to gain control of the trade here in Escambia county? At the time DEA was, with ECSO deputies, working a large investigation of those groups which culminated with many search warrants and arrests, no, JJ wasn't the savior in that case either. Then, DM pulled all of the deputies because his feelings got hurt over a press release......well here we go again, only with DEA at less than half of what it was at the time and no participation by ECSO. Unfortunately, the past will repeat itself, again.

Unregistered
    Sure seems like crime is up. The guys in patrol are seeing it daily and the investigators who are trying to work the crimes are heavily loaded up. The admin says crimes are down, but the problem here is that the admin has little or no credibility and it is generally believed that they would modify the stats in some way to benefit politically and, in turn, benefit personally through their select promotions. I've heard that the promotions have been fair and that may be so for the lower ranks, but you have to admit that those commanders, colonels, majors, whatever are part of his inner circle and it is not related to capabilities or (God knows) work ethics.

What is lacking is a true vision of what the Agency could be if it was led for the benefit of the citizens whose safety is the whole purpose of existing. It is not about fancy uniforms and a "look at me" approach!! Law enforcement is frequently hard work!!! Criminals are not showing up at the jail unaccompanied by LEO's to face the music. You have to go get them!! They hide, drive fast cars recklessly, shoot guns, and terrorize whole neighborhoods daily. When they run, the officers cannot do so. Criminals KNOW this!!!

It has reached the point that the criminals are not afraid to do anything they want to in the county without fear of being caught and serving time. They don't want to work!! Very few are willing to change their ways. It is easy to sell dope, rob, steal, run prostitutes, and/or commit fraud. Sleeping in all day or polishing their expensive rims is their daily schedule. I am not talking about black folks exclusively because there are enough whites who follow the same ways.

An Agency has to be fair to everyone. Being transparent to the public and taking responsibility for failures as well as successes is the proper way to do the right thing. That is not happening here in Escambia County Folks, and we are going to continue to suffer through heavy attrition and tax dollars wasted, indecision, poor (maybe none) leadership and things are sliding downhill one a slick slope. I don't think it is asking to much to want safe neighborhoods, and a quality of life that is better than what we have now.

It is amazing that the only journalist who questions some of these issues is on CJ's street report. An excellent writer and researcher. Others are obviously biased and/or don't seem to notice.

As previous posts have demonstrated, the bashing will start immediately, but it won't change. Constructive comments will be welcomed!!

Unregistered
    Another good point. The department is top heavy to a fault. The amount of patrol deputies is at an all time low, not to mention that each shift recently had to give up one person to go work at the court house. Another political move to be sure. We need more Indians and fewer Chiefs.

Unregistered
    I know the public thinks crime is up and they're the ones that elect new sheriff's. The problem is compounded for Morgan when he and Haines tell the public what they're seeing and feeling is an illusion. I think any of the opposing candidates would do a better job than Morgan. Haines continues to resist enforcement efforts, but offers no alternative solutions. He won't address the attrition problem and just keeps hiring anyone to fill in the holes so he can keep the numbers up. He continues his "target and destroy" method of discipline to create an atmosphere of fear and uncertainty, causing a hesitation if not resistance to doing the job. Couple this with rewarding supervisors like SA, MG and RS for their cut throat tactics and you have an ineffective and neutered agency. Whoever wins the election has their work cut out for them trying to bring this agency back.

Unregistered
    I'm sure some of the 6000 federal inmates just released will return to this area with a better education in criminal activity. They will enjoy the freedom Escambia County will welcome them with.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Another good point. The department is top heavy to a fault. The amount of patrol deputies is at an all time low, not to mention that each shift recently had to give up one person to go work at the court house. Another political move to be sure. We need more Indians and fewer Chiefs.
    Just another one of Haines' failures. He told the Judges and the Commission he could take over all security at the Court House eliminating Securitas and do it cheaper with more people. So far they have not been able to hire adequate personnel to staff the positions properly and they have almost doubled the costs by utilizing overtime pay due to his failure. Now he is taking from patrol to supplement the court house. I guess he is catching some heat from the Judges for his failure to do as he said he could. I guess the commissioners don't care about the waste of money that could have been used to give raises or hire more people, oh wait, check that cause it takes 18 months for a trainee to get to the road. funny how Haines was in charge of training and couldn't manage the training process so he put a Colonel over there so he could blame someone else for his failures. it is a vicious cycle.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast